Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Salt Creek Thursday

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Lip_Yanker 
#1 ·
I hit a couple of my favorite spots Thursday afternoon. Took my UL gear to try for some dink action.

My 1st spot earned me 3 bluegills - 1st one about the size of my hand was the biggest of the day. After a while I moved to my 2nd spot. The water was low - really low - and I thought the fish wouldn't be there. Of course the 1st thing I saw was a 12" bass swimming down river. I tried to cast my lure in its face but missed. Hooked another 'gill instead. The bass went under a log where I couldn't cast because of overhanging brush.

I sat down for a rest and watched a female hummingbird flit around among the branches of a dead bush looking for spiders & other tasties. A mink was swimming downriver on the other side and a deer came down for a drink.

Drove to another spot. There was a family using SC as a beach so I had to improvise. Fished a bit upstream where I never did before. Caught another little 'gill,

Just another wonderful day in Paradise.

#5 ·
Lip_Yanker said:
I haven't fished SC for probably more than 30 years. Are there still big bullhead in there? Those and a stray carp or two were all I remember ever catching out of it
I've never seen a bullhead in SC. There are some big carp in it though. Most of what I catch are chubs, 'gills and small LMBs.

#6 ·
I only ever fished a very small stretch on my Grandparent's property at the end of School St. in Wood Dale- Where their house was, is now designated flood plain. My Great Uncle's house and a couple other relatives houses were where that large retention pond is now.

So there's that, like you needed to know. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.