Kankakee Question

Some of the best river fishing in all of Illinois.

Kankakee Question

Postby BrookeT » Aug Wed 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Question, assuming water levels are ok, is a 55lb trolling motor sufficient to move a small boat, 11ft drift boat, upriver against current under normal conditions on the Kank? I really want to float it for smallies but I don't want to deal with two cars at put in and take out. If I launch at Warner Bridge can I motor to an area above Rock Creek and float back? Sorry if this has been discussed and thanks in advance for the info.
BrookeT
Minnow

Re: Kankakee Question

Postby Rambler » Aug Wed 07, 2019 4:18 pm

Rapids above Rock Creek might be a challenge.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jeemoosh » Aug Thu 08, 2019 12:18 pm

I was there on Sunday. Water levels at Momence measured 2ft, 1.5 kcfs. Water is down about 20% since then. Not much push to the current but I don’t have a feel for the power of your trolling motor. I waded from Warner bridge upstream about half the way to Rock Creek. The water was about half way up my thigh most of the way, but you will need to identify the main channel because it moves around. Caught a mixed bag of smallies, some nice cats and a 19” walleye. Water clarity was about 2-1/2 ft.
jeemoosh
Minnow

Postby Bassin' Ted » Aug Sun 11, 2019 8:06 am

Not sure what a drift boat is but I had a 55 lb TM on a 17.5 semi-deep V and it pushed the boat very well. I think it would do great for you with a moderate flow.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby UglyStick » Aug Sun 11, 2019 2:22 pm

K3 went from high water (Spring) to rocks sticking up everywhere from the low water as of a few days ago.
Might be tough to launch at Warner Bridge. Just a heads up. The launch at Bird Park might be better. There's
a deeper channel there considering the low water level. But even there you can see the wing dams sticking up
out of the shoreline related water.
UglyStick
Pan Fish

Postby ScubaSteve » Nov Tue 19, 2019 10:38 pm

jeemoosh wrote:I was there on Sunday. Water levels at Momence measured 2ft, 1.5 kcfs. Water is down about 20% since then. Not much push to the current but I don’t have a feel for the power of your trolling motor. I waded from Warner bridge upstream about half the way to Rock Creek. The water was about half way up my thigh most of the way, but you will need to identify the main channel because it moves around. Caught a mixed bag of smallies, some nice cats and a 19” walleye. Water clarity was about 2-1/2 ft.

I've been down there once or twice and (not sure what the water level was) but it didn't look like a trolling motor would do. But again, not the expert!

If you don't mind helping me out, is that generally safe river measurements to wade down there? I'm 5'8. Where is the cutoff for safety in the cfs and height levels on that stretch of the river? Thanks.
ScubaSteve
Pan Fish

Postby jeemoosh » Nov Wed 27, 2019 10:19 am

Scuba
I won't venture out away from the shore if the Momence gauge is above 2.10 kcfs. That much volume can sweep your feet out from under you, especially if you are on slippery rocks. I make it a point to check out the NWS gauge heights at all the rivers I wade before heading out. The last thing i want to do is drive to a river and get turned around because high water creates an unsafe condition. Knock on wood I haven't gone for a swim yet.
jeemoosh
Minnow

Return to Illinois/Kankakee/Rock Rivers