Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Evans Field

7K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  trumb1mj 
#1 ·
Has anyone spent any time along the stretch of ten Evans Field park? My son are there quite a bit because of the convenient cement fishing piers but we've yet to have any luck. I've been throwing spinners, jointed raps, jerks and ploppers without a sniff. Can this area be good?

#2 ·
Have no clue of the area, but my rule of thumb is to avoid fishing piers. If you think it's easy, hundreds of other feel the same. Fish are dumb but they're smart enough to stay away from where the fake stuff is. Obviously there's always exceptions, but my advice is to get a little dirty.

#3 ·
Used to fish there a lot when I lived in River Grove. The bend on the river there can be productive for pike when water is low and warm.

You really need to spot hop in that area. You are on the right path by using loud flashy baits. Add other spots to your pike offensive and you will start seeing results. You can also park on North Ave across from the old menards and fish the shore line near that small creek. That would the opposite side of the river from the Evan's Field access.

Try the bridge area at Chicago Avenue. Try around the island south of Chicago Av. Try the bend between the island and Lake St. Try parking on 1st Avenue at the Silver Creek lot, walk down along the river there and also work the creek confluence and up the creek and under the road bridge there.

Try parking behind the bowling alley on River Rd near Belmont and give that shoreline a quickie.

Dont know where you're willing to fish, but those are spots I would hit regularly in that vicinity.

#5 ·
Great info!

"...fish the shore line near that small creek..."

Is there another stream that runs near the DPR? I noticed this spring there was an overflow pond on that side of the river (that I actually tried fishing... any luck in those?) but I've never noticed a creek there.

#6 ·
I used to fish the stretch between North and 1st Ave. a lot. I think the piers you're referring to are the abutments left from the old Armitage St. dam that was taken out around 5 years ago. Before then I caught lots of pike and rock bass right there. After the dam went away the fishing declined.

Take Aux's advice about other area. If you park at Evans go left when you hit the river, past the bridge (don't cross it) and fish your way down to the creek that drains the wetland you walk thru on the way to the river. Be sure to fish the laydowns. One of the biggest I've caught around there was 28" on a jointed crankbait.

You can also park in Maywood at Lake & 1st and access the river from there. They recently put in a canoe launch there.

I think Aux is referring to Silver Creek. It joins the DPR from the west between North and Chicago. It's anything but silver. :(

#7 ·
Was referring to the other small creek that comes from the Triton college area/costco area. Worth a few casts every now and then. You would access it by parking at the lot on North Ave.

I also mentioned silver creek, that's the one with a parking area on 1st ave, between north and Chicago aves.

#9 ·
Around here the river does not look fishable - it rose 7.5' over the last couple of days, more than doubled, and still has not crested. I mean it did not look good yesterday, before the last rain, I can only wonder what it is like now. Aux will know better, but it looks like it will take a while for the things to settle.

#21 ·
DPMike said:
Anything in that pond East of the Chicago Avenue island?
Carp and gills. I'm sure a pike or two makes it's way in there during high water. But nothing worth targeting imo. I've caught fish in the flooded trees at Lawrence Ave in the past. But not a whole lot of fun or aesthetically pleasing I should add.

At high water a decent spot was always the Willow Creek/Pond in front of the hotel complex at River Rd and Higgins. Good spot in the winter too because that creek stays open and runs really warm and clear because its flow comes from the Waste Water Treatment plant in Des Plaines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.