Chicago Fishing Forum banner

How's your GAS lately?

513K views 1K replies 83 participants last post by  joetrain 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm GASin' bad...not even Tums can help. As I mentioned in a previous post, my gear acquisition syndrome has been in full beast mode since late fall and I've acquired everything from a new tackle bag (barn) to a fish finder for the yak and everything in between. Here are some of my spoils...I went feather treble crazy on my hard baits and it's been good to me, especially on the suspending jerkbaits, gives it this realistic action. Also picked up a heavier combo (Lexa 300HS w 7' Mojo Bass HF) to throw larger baits up to 1.5 OZ. It adds to my Mojo/Lexa lineup handsomely =D

... now if it was only spring ...

0115160950b.jpg

0122160926a.jpg

0122160925.jpg

0119161807a.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#1,034 ·
Had a little GAS bubble to burn off some birthday gift certs from Bass Pro etc. so today I was trying out the new light setup I picked up. It was a fun little purchase, it's a Bass Pro Micro Lite 6'6" light rod w/a Pflueger President 25.

Light line, small hooks and some worms under a bobber brought about a successful test today with 'gils galore. :mrgreen:

#1,035 ·
vman01 said:
I look for projects and found this one just down the road. Will need to glass in some seat mounts but it buffed out nicely. Goldenhawk 10 footer weighs 45lbs.
View attachment 1
Very nice, that cleaned up very well! Hope it serves you well.

I looked around several years for a 10' canoe that was reasonably priced and ended up with a 17', which has proven a bit overkill for one person.

#1,040 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
Grain said:
Here's a little bit of late summer GAS:
Nice haul Grain. Is that an SLX caster?
The reel? Yes, the basic SLX in 7.2:1 ratio. I haven't had a chance to try it though. I also looked at the rod - F&F had a 30% off sale so it would be only $75 out of the door. It looked awfully nice, but it starts at 6'10", when I needed a 6'6" and the ones they had were all extra fast.

#1,041 ·
Grain said:
HEDDONFROG said:
Grain said:
Here's a little bit of late summer GAS:
Nice haul Grain. Is that an SLX caster?
The reel? Yes, the basic SLX in 7.2:1 ratio. I haven't had a chance to try it though. I also looked at the rod - F&F had a 30% off sale so it would be only $75 out of the door. It looked awfully nice, but it starts at 6'10", when I needed a 6'6" and the ones they had were all extra fast.
http://dobynsrods.com/rod/fr-663c/ Dobyns Fury 663, it's a 6-6 mh fast that straddles the line between a Med & Med Hev. My son has this rod and it's a super versatile all-arounder. You can find them on sale around $100 shipped at times or some eBay sellers have their listings as "Best Offer" not a lot of mark up in the $100 category but you can probably get one to your door for $100 and not have to wait for a sale. Not many still using 6-6 casters, I personally like that length for pinpoint target casts

#1,042 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
Fury 663, it's a 6-6 mh fast that straddles the line between a Med & Med Hev. My son has this rod and it's a super versatile all-arounder. You can find them on sale around $100 shipped at times or some eBay sellers have their listings as "Best Offer" not a lot of mark up in the $100 category but you can probably get one to your door for $100 and not have to wait for a sale. Not many still using 6-6 casters, I personally like that length for pinpoint target casts
I own a 734, and 663 would have been my first choice, I just did not feel like dropping another $100+ right now. There is a guy on CL selling one for $95 right now and I guess I could have brought it down a bit, but I did not feel like haggling either. So I bought a nice inexpensive MF Shimano rod. So far I like it very much and hopefully it holds up.

#1,045 ·
Grain said:
Speaking of Jackhammer - here is mine after one outing. I am no expert, but don't think the paint should start peeling this quick.
I feel your pain. My 1st JH disappointed in the same way. On the 2nd, right out of the package, I put a very light coat of devcon epoxy on the blade & jighead. The paint/epoxy still chips away, but the epoxy coating DOES make it last quite a bit longer before it starts to happen.

#1,047 ·
Grain said:
Speaking of Jackhammer - here is mine after one outing. I am no expert, but don't think the paint should start peeling this quick.

View attachment 1

And this is chatterbait "custom" - pretty much the original one but with a better baitkeeper. I feel like they could have done a better job on the skirt.

They do that. I really don't like bright blades, so I just take a sharpie to them when they lose enough paint. I have one 3/8oz Black/Blue from the original batch I bought in Oct. 2017. Skirt replaced 2 or 3 times, snap replaced once and of course I blacken the blade regularly. Still vibrates great and catches fish. This winter I'll repaint and clear coat all my blades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.