Chicago Fishing Forum banner

How's your GAS lately?

513K views 1K replies 83 participants last post by  joetrain 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm GASin' bad...not even Tums can help. As I mentioned in a previous post, my gear acquisition syndrome has been in full beast mode since late fall and I've acquired everything from a new tackle bag (barn) to a fish finder for the yak and everything in between. Here are some of my spoils...I went feather treble crazy on my hard baits and it's been good to me, especially on the suspending jerkbaits, gives it this realistic action. Also picked up a heavier combo (Lexa 300HS w 7' Mojo Bass HF) to throw larger baits up to 1.5 OZ. It adds to my Mojo/Lexa lineup handsomely =D

... now if it was only spring ...

0115160950b.jpg

0122160926a.jpg

0122160925.jpg

0119161807a.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#1,052 ·
Grain said:
Woohoodude11 said:
I caught my 34" pike on a jack and it decimated the paint on the blade and head. Still catches fish.
I understand that there are legit reason for the paint to come off, but 25 casts into OS ain't it. I have other chatterbaits so I have general idea how they wear.
Oh I get it fully, I'm just saying that when something comes flying by a bass clicking away I don't feel like they give a damn if some paint is missing. A couple of my Project Z's are down to straight lead heads and still produce. I think the "intensity" of the Jackhammer's chat is what causes the premature paint chipping...it always starts at the main points of impact.

#1,053 ·
Woohoodude11 said:
I think the "intensity" of the Jackhammer's chat is what causes the premature paint chipping
and rocks...... rocks are no good... hahha

#1,054 ·
Woohoodude11 said:
The post count that wouldn't die lol. 2 away from 4000 Ramblings
Wow - you actually keep track of that sort of crap? :D Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to husband my next 2 (oops - 1) so that my 400th is meaningful. Not that anything I've ever posted here is even close to meaningful but we can always hope.

#1,055 ·
Idk if anyone has noticed my lack of gas posts this year but it's because I set a dollar limit on my gas this year. Other than some replacement baits for those I'm always losing I never really went nuts. Since I've done so well I have the remaining surplus to blow by years end :D starting to get more into big baits and have slowly started acquiring some stuff over the course of the year. After having several good outings just throwing glides and swimbaits I decided to commit to it. First step is the right rod. I won't be throwing giant 6+ ounce baits so on Mike's suggestion I just picked up a new MegaBass Destroyer Mark 48. It's a 7'-8" Xtra heavy swimbait rod for 1-1/4oz to 5oz baits. Smaller overall then their truly giant bait rod and I can also use for my 1-1/2 to 2-1/4oz big bladed jigs and some pitching duties when needed. I'm swapping my Shimano Bantam MGL to this rod and picking up Mikes Daiwa Steez A to replace on my heavy G-rod

Little 3.2" Keitech in the photo for scale. 7.8" & 6.8" Keitechs. 6" BPS speed shad. Ima Glide Flukes in 5" & 7-1/2", another S-waver 168 and some Gancraft 6.8" swimbaits. 2 Replacement Jacks and I'm trying out the 1-1/4oz model

Attachments

#1,059 · (Edited by Moderator)
The good:
I got a new GLX MBR842C!

The bad:
I broke my old GLX MBR842C" last week!
(Or, more accurately, someone broke it for me.)

Kinda mixed emotions on the swap, really.
New version is superior in many ways, but "feels" like a different rod.
A bit more power than the old & less of a tip to it.
20191010_224808_Film1-768x1024.jpg

Not sure how its going to work for what I used the old 1 for, but on the + side, its a really sweet rod that Im sure will do a few things really well!
On the - side, its going to take me many many years to work as much ground-in dirt & fish slime into the handle as I had on the old1.
20191010_230541-768x1024.jpg

Loomis' expediter replacement service is a pretty good deal. Buddy called loomis on monday, rod was delivered today. I put the broken 1 in the shipping tube the new 1 came in & slap on the shipping label & drop off @ a fed ex location within 30days for 125$. Not as good as St.Croix's return policies/replacement prices but quicker & more convenient. Overall, they get a :thumbup: from me.

Attachments

#1,060 ·
cletedius said:
The good:
I got a new GLX MBR842C!

The bad:
I broke my old GLX MBR842C" last week!
(Or, more accurately, someone broke it for me.)

Kinda mixed emotions on the swap, really.
New version is superior in many ways, but "feels" like a different rod.
A bit more power than the old & less of a tip to it.
View attachment 1

Not sure how its going to work for what I used the old 1 for, but on the + side, its a really sweet rod that Im sure will do a few things really well!
On the - side, its going to take me many many years to work as much ground-in dirt & fish slime into the handle as I had on the old1.

Loomis' expediter replacement service is a pretty good deal. Buddy called loomis on monday, rod was delivered today. I put the broken 1 in the shipping tube the new 1 came in & slap on the shipping label & drop off @ a fed ex location within 30days for 125$. Not as good as St.Croix's return policies/replacement prices but quicker & more convenient. Overall, they get a :thumbup: from me.
The Loomis Expediter people recognize my voice I've called so often, lol their warranty program is a life saver. I've always been a 3 or 4 power GLX guy. I'll have a 783 in the quiver until the day I die. Here's the full review of the updated 842

http://tackletour.com/review_gloomis_20 ... 2cglx.html

#1,064 · (Edited by Moderator)
HEDDONFROG said:
I've always been a 3 or 4 power GLX guy. I'll have a 783 in the quiver until the day I die. Here's the full review of the updated 842
http://tackletour.com/review_gloomis_20 ... 2cglx.html
Handling & throwing a few casts with this 842 definitely makes me feel like I need to have an 843, too!
Read that review. That dude is smoking crack!

Bassin' Ted said:
Dobyns rod replacement program is top notch as well, you can upgrade your rod or change the model unlike Loomis. Never broke a rod until last year.
This is why Ive really leaned towards St.Croix over Loomis in recent years. It would be great If Loomis adopted a similar policy.
That said, theres a few Loomis rods that life just wouldnt be the same without, for me.

Anyway, some minor GAS.....
https://www.amazon.com/SLONIK-Lumen-Rec ... B07D27L1NR

Never heard of the brand & was skeptical of rechargeable, but I took a flyer on this 1 & after a couple weeks of use I have to say its the best headlamp Ive owned! Ive spent 2x as much on lamps that werent half as good. Durable, well-sealed aluminum housing with easy access to battery/charging port, super-bright, this thing can literally light up the forest, & best of all : very simple 1-click on/off & a click/hold to cycle thru 5 brightness levels. No annoying dimmer cycle to click thru to turn off, which is so common. Also useful is the abilty to easily remove/replace the light from the headband to use as a handheld light.
Had 4 of the COAST headlamps that came in 2-packs from costco. They were very bright, but seemed like I was going thru 7-10$ worth of AAAs a week using them, & 2 of the 4 crapped-out in just over 1 year. We shall see how this 1 lasts.
20191011_032220-1024x768.jpg

20191011_032346-1024x768.jpg

Attachments

#1,065 ·
Nice pick up, cletedius! 18650 is the way to go, I'm trying to shift all my flashlights/headlamps to 18650s. I took the dive into "torches" a couple years ago and have no regrets. Theres some seriously powerful (and cheap!) options out there once you shift away from walmart, dicks etc. AAA/AA style lights.

I use nitecore H33, 1800 lumens in "turbo", it will quite literally light up the side of a mountain. One of the big reasons I picked this style is because you can pull it out of the headband and use it as a 90degree flashlight, and the bottom has a magnet built in so it'll stick to anything ferrous. If anyone is looking for a new headlamp or flashlight I would highly recommend looking into 18650 powered lights. The initial battery cost is more expensive than AAAs but will quickly pay itself off. Black diamond and PETZL make some great backpacking/light headlamps but are generally limited to under 500 lumens, which is fine for most applications, but if you really wanna reach out and light something, 18650 or bust.

#1,066 ·
Phil & Pat, thanks for sharing your headlamp experiences but damn, when would I ever have use for that kind of thing? :D seriously I have 3 and I have some kind of issue with all of them. They all have to be cycled through to turn off which is annoying but the larger issue I have is they're too small for my little head and constantly slide up and off. No amount of adjustment have helped. I'll give one of your suggestions a try. Phil I don't think I need something that powerful. Pat does yours have a way to widen and or narrow the beam? Can't tell from the pic.

#1,067 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
does yours have a way to widen and or narrow the beam? Can't tell from the pic.
No, it doesnt. If I read correctly, of the 2 bulbs, 1 is a flood beam & the other a spot beam. When "on" both bulbs light to give both beams @ the same time,........or something like that, but neither are adjustable.
All I can say is the thing is brighter than hell!

Havent truly tested its battery life yet, but I do plan to pick up a couple spare 18650 batteries to have on hand as they seem fairly inexpensive. I believe mfr. claims 3.5hours on high & 8 on low. When turning light on, it comes on @ 3rd highest of the 5 settings. Setting 3 is way more than enough for knot-tying or lighting up anything in your immediate area. High, or the 5 setting is obnoxiously bright.

#1,069 ·
cletedius said:
HEDDONFROG said:
does yours have a way to widen and or narrow the beam? Can't tell from the pic.
No, it doesnt. If I read correctly, of the 2 bulbs, 1 is a flood beam & the other a spot beam. When "on" both bulbs light to give both beams @ the same time,........or something like that, but neither are adjustable.
All I can say is the thing is brighter than hell!

Havent truly tested its battery life yet, but I do plan to pick up a couple spare 18650 batteries to have on hand as they seem fairly inexpensive. I believe mfr. claims 3.5hours on high & 8 on low. When turning light on, it comes on @ 3rd highest of the 5 settings. Setting 3 is way more than enough for knot-tying or lighting up anything in your immediate area. High, or the 5 setting is obnoxiously bright.
Ok thank you. Still sounds like a nice unit

#1,073 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
mike son said:
Bassin' Ted said:
So TW emailed me asking if I wanted some Huddleston baits I backordered in April that are now in stock. Silly question. Of course I want them! Complete the order please.
Jeez, what a wait! What kind of hudds did you order? 68's?
:?

Grass minnows and weedless shads
Nice. I was curious because the bigger swimbaits are always out of stock. 68's are the 6" swimbaits with the 8" vortex tail.

Got my new waders in today, Patagonia Skeena River. Seem to be good quality, come with a solid warranty, and got great service from Western Rivers Flyfisher out of Utah. Free Plug: https://westernriversflyfishing.com. The Skeena River and Rio Azul waders are on closeout and they had the best price on them shipped that I could find. Good communication and fast shipping, I'd definitely recommend them.

#1,076 ·
Rambler said:
So I finally knuckled under & bought a Whopper Plopper. Picked up a new, perch-colored 75 for cheap (what else is new) on eBay. Now I can't wait for Spring!
The 75 should be right in your wheelhouse. I know a lot of guys tear up the smallies on the rivers on em. Cast em down stream and let the lure do the work while keeping an ultra slow roll retrieve. I tried it last year to no avail, didn't get a chance to beat up on the river bronze this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.