Chicago Fishing Forum banner

*Update* new place for all of us. Yaks, Canoes and shore

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  FloridaRigger 
#1 ·
I'm sure some of you have seen this in the paper. I'm also quite sure the shore fishing will get killed in a couple of months but the off shore spots accessible by yak/canoe should be good indefinitely, similar to 3 Oaks. If someone from here gets out there, please post your results for the group

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyh ... ToiZzy2gn8

#7 ·
what i think is funny, is the kayak launch but then on their site they say click her for park use regulations and it says: Fishing is permitted only in designated areas from the piers or shoreline of the lake, which are posted by signage. No fishing is permitted from any watercraft that the rider sits or stands upon the water.

*sure its used for all their parks but i had to laugh when they have a kayak launch and then reading that lol

#9 ·
vidguru said:
what i think is funny, is the kayak launch but then on their site they say click her for park use regulations and it says: Fishing is permitted only in designated areas from the piers or shoreline of the lake, which are posted by signage. No fishing is permitted from any watercraft that the rider sits or stands upon the water.

*sure its used for all their parks but i had to laugh when they have a kayak launch and then reading that lol
You can fish from yaks. It opened last Friday and guys have been out. I think that's generic for other Park lakes.

#10 ·
Think I saw on facebook someone asked if theres ice fishing allowed but I dont think they got an answer. Fingers crossed ;)

#11 ·
joetrain said:
2/3 of a mile is totally doable with a good cart and a decent trail. Skifish could do that while standing on his head. :D
~JOE~
I throw kayaks off of bridges , round trip 4 mile kayak launches, push through sticker Bush thickets whatever it takes if I know a 12" dink is a possibility

But that's actually pretty cool new lakes dont open to often.

#12 ·
Found out it's catch and release, which should help keep numbers up. I'm sure it'll have some poacher pressure but 3 Oaks has held up well. Also I've now seen multiple reports from people who have been there this week and even though it says online that there is no fishing from Kayaks, every yaker out there is fishing. I think the site will be updated. The hike to the launch is long, for now. They're possibly putting in a small marina for rentals and launch in the future. No one has caught anything larger than 2-1/2lb bass but numbers are good. A very reliable source said he saw a 4+ smallie right by the kayak ramp. There are designated fishing areas for shore anglers but that the signage is so poor it's unenforceable and bound to be changed to make it easier access to more of the shoreline. DNR was there today stocking both bass and bait fish. DNR said possible trout stockings to come

#16 ·
coyote said:
Fished it today briefly everyone was catching , cranks , senkos, jigs , chatters etc.....nothing huge
That's been the reports I've been hearing as well. When I stop up I'm only bringing big swimbaits & glides. Guys that have fished it for years prior to it opening are adamant they are big ones in there. I don't doubt it

#17 ·
I took my kayak there Tuesday afternoon. I lost track of the number of bass caught (a lot) but mostly shorts, biggest was only 15". probably could've caught a hundred if I was there more than a few hours. There are a ton of largemouth and bluegill in there. gills are huge if you want to bring the kids or your ultralight and have fun. Talked to a few other guys, one said he caught a nice walleye but no reports of any smallmouth bass caught. The part of the lake north of the peninsula with the launch pier is very deep. If you had a sonar, you could probably find those rumored big smallies and walters. the south end is shallower with a lot of flooded timber but is pretty much inaccessible from shore (this is where the huge schools of gills and juvenile bass were).

As far as the kayak launch, it's about 3/4 mile walk on a gravel hilly path. my quads were burning after pulling my kayak on the cart to the launch. After talking to the other guys I found there is a path down a fairly steep hill near the parking lot that most guys are putting and and taking out at (although it is against the posted rules). I took out there and it wasnt too difficult. overall I think it has a good future if there's enough forage, but I'm in no rush to head back there for a while.

#18 ·
This place sounds like very many quarries in our state that sometimes don't make the best bass fisheries as far as growth size is concerned.

A lot of these quarries can be compared to oligotrophic lakes. And the other hand, our Illinois quarries aren't as deep as natural oligotrophic lakes, with that comes lack of oxygen. Sometimes the quarries are too sterile. With that comes the lack of forage all the way down to the tiniest plankton. The water table and expense of keeping some of these quarries dry for operation limits them anywhere from 20-40ft in most cases with a few exceptions. Seems like every quarry along the north Des Plaines is 20-25ft deep, the 7 quarries I have maped with sonar all have that depth. Independence grove being an exception.

A lot of times a more shallow, muddier, and more weedy lake produces the largest fish. Mesotrophic often makes the best fishing lakes. I know that goes against the weekend fisherman's thought process of 'deeper water means larger fish'.

There are IDNR reports on our Illinois lakes that detail their trophic states coupled with creel surveys and other findings.

Sorry for getting a nerdy. :D

#19 ·
Aux Pleins said:
This place sounds like very many quarries in our state that sometimes don't make the best bass fisheries as far as growth size is concerned.

A lot of these quarries can be compared to oligotrophic lakes. And the other hand, our Illinois quarries aren't as deep as natural oligotrophic lakes, with that comes lack of oxygen. Sometimes the quarries are too sterile. With that comes the lack of forage all the way down to the tiniest plankton. The water table and expense of keeping some of these quarries dry for operation limits them anywhere from 20-40ft in most cases with a few exceptions. Seems like every quarry along the north Des Plaines is 20-25ft deep, the 7 quarries I have maped with sonar all have that depth. Independence grove being an exception.

A lot of times a more shallow, muddier, and more weedy lake produces the largest fish. I know that goes against the weekend fisherman's thought process of 'deeper water means larger fish'.

There are IDNR reports on our Illinois lakes that detail their trophic states coupled with creel surveys and other findings.

Sorry for getting a nerdy. :D
Aux, I agree with you on the more shallow, weedy lakes being, often times, the bigger bass producers. Those IDNR reports are helpful, and I would recommend a study of them prior to fishing any new waters.

#22 ·
Has anyone else fished here in the past year? I stopped here Sunday on the way back from picking up my new kayak in Rockford. Water was super clear and still a lot of small bass and big gills. Pretty sure I saw a large walleye swim under my yak as well. They are building a new launch by the parking lot but it's not done yet. I had to go down and back up a muddy hill to get to the water

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.