Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Squirrel Shootin' (new hunter, getting started)

12K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  LorineBride 
#1 ·
I've always wanted to hunt but never had an opportunity to; my father doesn't hunt (hes pro-hunting to be clear, just doesnt do it) and I dont have any other family in the states. I never had a "foot in" to the hunting world, all the restrictions and regulations have kept me outside the loop but I've decided to take steps towards the right direction. Because I'm new to hunting, I don't think it would be responsible to try and draw deer or turkey tags without any experience in the field. I believe that hunting small game would be a great way to get started without the stress of "screwing something up"

I've already taken my hunter safety course ("common sense course" would be a better name) and looked into regulations on squirrel hunting. Shooting squirrels on my buddies half acre is good fun and all, but it wont provide me with "in field" experience that I am looking for. I've looked near and far for public land where you can harvest tree rats, but the closest I can find seems to be "Lowden - Miller Forest" about 1.5 hours away, and the season there ends on the 30th of September, aka I have this weekend to get out there. The IL squirrel season is much longer, but this specific area has a limited season. It seems strange that so many locations allow for various deer seasons/hunts but don't allow you to hunt squirrels.

One specific question I have- is it ok to use a pellet rifle (.22) for public land small game hunting? I see many mentions of "air guns" in the regs, but I want to make sure thats not specific to the air guns that have built in pressurized tanks that shoot a slug

If anyone has any experience with small game hunting in IL (or just hunting in general), I would value and truly appreciate any input you may have.

See less See more
#6 ·
Phil6 said:
Adult onset hunter
Hey Phil,

Glad to hear you're interested in hunting and the outdoors! I got into hunting as an adult with no family members that are hunters so I know the feeling, Illinois is also super overwhelming with all the regulations and stuff to deal with. I am a mentor/volunteer with the Illinois Learn to Hunt program that is targeted at adults https://publish.illinois.edu/hunttrapillinois/ and am a co-chair of the Illinois chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.

I also created this map that shows the public DNR sites a bit better than their own website does: https://engineeredpursuit.com/illinois- ... ting-areas.

Lowden-Miller and Iroquois are the two sites close-ish to Chicago that I hunt frequently for squirrels, though there are some sites in WI that I have hunted too. A non-resident small game license isn't terribly expensive up there and there is a fair bit of land just over the border open for hunting with things other than shotguns.

Feel free to PM me your email/phone number to text and I can chat with you about anything you're curious about and maybe point you in the right direction.

#7 ·
Thanks bob, I was using that as a resource to check the public lands I was finding. Great tool for seeing where you can target specific species and what kind of numbers they hold. Thats interesting about Goose/Heidecke, not many trees around, would make it difficult i'm sure.

Additionally, I would be more than happy to go up to Wi if needed, I had actually started started this journey planning to go up to Nicolet

#8 ·
charliebravo77 said:
Phil6 said:
Adult onset hunter
Hey Phil,
CB, thanks for the post.

I cant believe you created that map.... that's how I found lowden! I still have the tab open from my earlier searches. A truly great resource that youve made available to the public, thank you.

I think I read or heard somewhere that adult onset hunters make up only something like 2% of the hunting population (dont quote me on that), so its definitely great to hear from someone with a similar experience. I'll shoot you a DM!

#9 ·
Phil6 said:
I cant believe you created that map.... that's how I found lowden! I still have the tab open from my earlier searches. A truly great resource that youve made available to the public, thank you.
Heh, yeah it's kinda my claim to fame, at least here in Illinois. Kinda wish I charged $.99 for it as an app or something, it's gotten 434,422 views since 2015 :D

Definitely shoot me a message, and check out the Learn to Hunt program. They only have a deer clinic scheduled right now (Oct 5, down in Charleston, IL) but they have done small game clinics in the past and will probably hold more in the spring. Doesn't do a lot of good for you right now, but in the meantime maybe if things line up I can meet you somewhere and show you at least what I know.

#14 ·
Thank you Urb, Im looking forward to putting in the hours

HEDDONFROG said:
Phil, Bruce. He has 220 acres now near Channahon or however it's spelled. Probably would have helped if you'd have bought some DU raffle tickets from him but I'll ask
I honestly meant to when we went wadding w/ bren but forgot to after we screwed up the ride/arrival time. Thats on me

Aux, I have a little archery experience w/ compound bows from when I was younger (my middle school science fair project was a report on the penetration ability of various modern arrow head styles, wonder if theyd even allow that these days :lol: ) so I'll probably go that route when it comes down to it. Crossbows have been blowing up these last few years though, maybe I'll try one soon

#16 ·
Woohoodude11 said:
Phil6 said:
wonder if theyd even allow that these days :lol:
You act like that wasn't like 5 years ago child lmao
lmao, I know and thats the worst part. This culture is aging me faster than it should. My back hurts and I blame the media. :wink:

#17 ·
I know this post is old, but I just joined the forum and I love squirrel hunting with air rifles. The best place I've found is Clinton Lake. Yea, it's a cruise, but the woods are mostly oaks, walnuts, and hickory. I don't go on weekends because there are too many hikers. Also on Wednesdays there is a backpacking club that treks through. I usually go once a week during the season and only twice did I ever see another hunter. The drive for me is 2 hours and I usually hunt for 6-7 hours. It's a long day, but worth it. This October I reserved a campsite and will be tent camping during the week, so that's an option for those with long drives.

#18 ·
Phil, how has this endeavor turned out for you? Only time I hunt fuzzy tree rats is in my backyard when I have a clean shot not towards any of the neighbors houses.

clumsynija, thanks for the intel.

#19 ·
Lip_Yanker said:
Phil, how has this endeavor turned out for you? Only time I hunt fuzzy tree rats is in my backyard when I have a clean shot not towards any of the neighbors houses.

I ended up taking a squirrel on my buddies property and we cooked it up with some bluegill fillets. "Suburban Chicago Surf & Turf" we called it. Tasted great, but havent had much progress besides that.

I spent a painful amount of time trying to get a "glock 19" p80 build working. Yesterday it finally ran at the range, which means I can start looking towards my next build/purchase - Im thinking a 10/22 build on a Samson B-TM stock which would be good for small game hunts. On the other hand a 12g would be more useful hunting wise, so Im not entirely set on what to do.

A friend of mine might be able to get me in on a deer hunt in Indiana this fall, but Im not too confident that will happen. I was also considering a guided/club/farm pheasant hunt with some friends but havent looked too deep into that yet, any experience with that sort of thing?

#20 ·
One morning, years ago just after we moved into our old house, I looked out our 2nd floor back window to see 12 squirrels in the yard. Thinking that that's way too many for a small yard I got my Benjamin, loaded it & plinked one off the garage. Then I shot another.

It was early so I figured none of my neighbors would be up. Just then I heard a yell - "that a boy - kill those motherfuckers!" It was the old man next door in his yard cheering me on. :D

#21 ·
^^^ Funny story Rambler. Try that these days and you'll have a swat team, satellite trucks, and purple hair people yelling 'The whole world is watching!' on your block.

Funny thing in the 70s as a kid we'd watch our neighbor walk outside and shoot noisy crows from his trees with his Crossman. Police casually pulled up one day and told him to knock it off.

Funniest story I ever heard was of a Illinois farmer annoyed with loud, close wailing of a coyote on his property. Farmer quietly snuck out of bed, with lights off pointed his rifle and shot the critter through a screen in the window. Wife was not amused but he needed to preserve the element of surprise.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm a big game hunter and can't imagine shooting something as cute as a squirrel, let alone eating them - that's straight-up disgusting. Aren't you afraid of catching rabies? I loved them as a child, and my kids adore them as well. One of them made a nest in my barn, and I let them grow up. Can't say they didn't do any damage, but it's an old barn that I was planning to tear down anyway. After they reach maturity, I ordered a live trap, read and followed the instruction on catching squirrels, and made an adventure with the kids out of it. We managed to trap them one by one and let them go into the forest. Kids were happy, the wife was happy, and it felt good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.