Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Live bait with plastic worm?

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  michadoh 
#1 ·
All this rain has me going through a bunch of past threads and there was one where a guy was having no success with crankbaits. It was early in the season and he had some waxies with him and tipped one treble hook. Fish after fish.

So, I'm laying in bed last night thinking, I might try threading on a stub of nightcrawler onto the hook shank of my Senko setup??

Thoughts?

#3 ·
I don't think there's much doubt that fish hit live (or recently diseased) bait more than artificial. But I'm not sure adding a piece of worm to a lure would be much different from putting fish attractant on the worm.

#8 ·
Never tried a live crawler/Senko combo.

In Canada last year, we were using live crawlers/jig and Twister/jig combos without much luck... On a whim I added about a 1/3 of a crawler to the Twister/jig and whollysheet man. That was the hot ticket for the week and increased our catch rate phenomenally. I swear I just read something recently about this over on WC, but can't find the thread right at the moment.

#9 ·
I've tried tipping plastics with a piece of crawler a number of times without very positive results. The one exception was fishing for river smallies where I added half a crawler to the hook on a tube jig. This was to make a live bait, bigger version of the berkley atomic teaser which I've had very good luck with for crappie. The tube + crawler combo definitely out performed tube only but I'm not sure it did better than crawler only would have done on that day. I haven't tried it again, actually I forgot all about it until this thread.

Also, I know many spring coho fisherman swear by tipping a grub on 1/4oz jighead with piece of squid. Lastly, I've had really good luck in early spring fishing small spoons, where I have replaced the treble hook with single hooks and tipped with wax worms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.