Ticks - stay or go?

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Ticks - stay or go?

Postby CatsAndCarp » Jun Thu 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Just curious to get some opinions on this.

If you encounter a tick at one of your ponds/fishing spots, do you stop going there altogether? Or do you continue going to that spot but stay keenly aware that they might be present?

Up to this point I have often completely written off any places where I encounter a tick. I'm wondering if this is a smart move or overkill, especially if it's a place I enjoy going to.
CatsAndCarp
Minnow

Re: Ticks - stay or go?

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Thu 06, 2019 1:23 pm

CatsAndCarp wrote:Just curious to get some opinions on this.

If you encounter a tick at one of your ponds/fishing spots, do you stop going there altogether? Or do you continue going to that spot but stay keenly aware that they might be present?

Up to this point I have often completely written off any places where I encounter a tick. I'm wondering if this is a smart move or overkill, especially if it's a place I enjoy going to.

massive, massive overkill. Ticks are everywhere, if you encountered one you just stumbled on where it was. It doesn't mean the spot is any more infested than another. Apply DEET and keep an eye out.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Jun Thu 06, 2019 1:35 pm

When life gives you Lyme disease, drink Tequila!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Thu 06, 2019 1:36 pm

polishfly wrote:When life gives you Lyme disease, drink Tequila!

If that ain't a Polish answer I don't know what is :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Jun Thu 06, 2019 4:04 pm

mid cast last night i felt one crawling up towards my unit. dropped my jeans on shore, flicked it off and kept on fishing. i stopped panicking about those things a long time ago when i took up turkey hunting. just do a solid check when u get home. helps to have a woman in the house. i have however, completely written off taking my dog to some places due to those demon seeds.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Thu 06, 2019 5:47 pm

^^^What they said. Except last time I checked tequila doesn't cure lyme disease. But from experience doxicycline does.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Thu 06, 2019 6:17 pm

No reason to be so afraid of ticks. You get one on you, just brush it off. It takes almost 2 days of crawling around on you to attach and actually feed in which there is a chance for lymes. If you cant tell theres a bug crawling on you or you dont shower, then that's a whole other can of worms you should remedy first. I've had 3 on me or my clothing this spring already.

Funny you brought this up, saw this at the Vet today.

20190606_181619.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Thu 06, 2019 9:02 pm

I dont care. My vision sucks can barely see them. If bushwacking I just take clothes off when home toss in washing machine take shower.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Jun Thu 06, 2019 9:35 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:No reason to be so afraid of ticks. You get one on you, just brush it off. It takes almost 2 days of crawling around on you to attach and actually feed in which there is a chance for lymes. If you cant tell theres a bug crawling on you or you dont shower, then that's a whole other can of worms you should remedy first. I've had 3 on me or my clothing this spring already.

20190606_181619.jpg

I was mountain biking in Kentucky over memorial day for about 2 hours, didnt stop much, but I had 3 ticks, different types, all buried under the skin on my legs, I took a good knife to them and cut them clean out with skin and all....probably not necessary but I wasn't fucking around.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Thu 06, 2019 10:35 pm

polishfly wrote:
Aux Pleins wrote:No reason to be so afraid of ticks. You get one on you, just brush it off. It takes almost 2 days of crawling around on you to attach and actually feed in which there is a chance for lymes. If you cant tell theres a bug crawling on you or you dont shower, then that's a whole other can of worms you should remedy first. I've had 3 on me or my clothing this spring already.

20190606_181619.jpg

I was mountain biking in Kentucky over memorial day for about 2 hours, didnt stop much, but I had 3 ticks, different types, all buried under the skin on my legs, I took a good knife to them and cut them clean out with skin and all....probably not necessary but I wasn't fucking around.

Ride faster
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Fri 07, 2019 6:15 am

polishfly wrote:I took a good knife to them and cut them clean out with skin and all....probably not necessary but I wasn't fucking around.

Probably a side effect of the Tequila, my man :lol:

I shower immediately after every outing, no matter how long or short of an outing. I give my bare ass a once over in the mirror beforehand. I've got plenty of moles on me that trigger false alarms, though :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jun Fri 07, 2019 7:29 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:
polishfly wrote:When life gives you Lyme disease, drink Tequila!

If that ain't a Polish answer I don't know what is :lol:

Eh... not so much. ;) If it were a Polish answer, then he'd have said "drink vodka". :lol:

To the OP, definitely overkill to just not fish somewhere that has ticks. I picked up a tick in my backyard last year... a fenced in backyard, in the middle of a neighborhood, where the closest "nature" area is about 1/4 mile from my house. One of my dogs picked one up, also. So yeah... definitely overkill. Just give yourself a good examination every time you come home, and make sure to shower. If you do get one on you that happens to embed, you actually should do what polishfly suggested, and try to dig it out with a very sharp knife. When I've had one embed, I usually use a small exacto knife. https://www.amazon.com/Nicpro-Precision ... PDZX8?th=1

When you burn them or squeeze them with tweezers to try and get them out, it typically causes them to vomit, which is the quickest way to increase your chances of lyme disease. You can also leave the head in by accident with tweezers, which also increases the risk of lyme disease as well as infection.

This reminded me, though... I need to get a new exacto. My daughter took it for a class project last year and I never got it back, and she said she doesn't know what happened to it... :lol:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Fri 07, 2019 8:38 am

Ive always spent a lot of time in the woods ever since I was a kid and never had tick problems, saw one once or twice. This spring I've already had 3 on me and seen 2 on people Im with. Creepy little guys. Tough as shit too. All in northern IL

An observation, one tick came off a pile of dirty outdoors clothes in the laundry room and made its way 2-3 ft up the wall and stayed there. I imagine they are "programed" to get around that height to climb on passersby in the woods
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby crankybass » Jun Fri 07, 2019 10:09 am

Here's the deal. Definitely shower after every outing, and do the best you can on the body search. But, first and foremost, treat your clothing (shirts, pants, socks), including your rain gear and even you hat, and your foot gear, and your backpack, with Sawyer Permethrin--DoD developed anti-tick and mosquito toxic treatment for application to clothes and equipment ONLY. Then, use Deep Woods Off or something similar on your skin under your shirt and sleeves, even under your pant legs, on your neck. Tuck your shirt into your pants, and your pants into your boots (if you use tall boots like I do, or into your socks if you wear hiking boots).

As far as I know, I've had one tick in 6-years, and that was before I started using the Permethrin. So far, thank God, I haven't exhibited any symptoms of Lyme or other tick-born or mosquito-born diseases.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby CatsAndCarp » Jun Fri 07, 2019 1:01 pm

Fair enough, I've probably been overly cautious. The things are creepy, though, and those occasional news headlines about tick disease cases are scary.

I went back to the spot in question this AM, wore pants tucked into socks, long sleeve shirt, and hat all soaked in deet (I read about Permethrin before and I plan to get some). Examination of everything afterwards didn't turn up any ticks.
CatsAndCarp
Minnow

Postby polishfly » Jun Fri 07, 2019 1:35 pm

polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Fri 07, 2019 1:35 pm

CatsAndCarp wrote:Fair enough, I've probably been overly cautious. The things are creepy, though, and those occasional news headlines about tick disease cases are scary.

I went back to the spot in question this AM, wore pants tucked into socks, long sleeve shirt, and hat all soaked in deet (I read about Permethrin before and I plan to get some). Examination of everything afterwards didn't turn up any ticks.

Theyre just something "unavoidable". You spend enough time in the woods youll come across them. Its like walking face first into a spider web. Sucks, but it comes with the territory
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jun Sat 08, 2019 7:24 am

BTW - when you find one crawling on you or your dog be sure to crush the little mother fucker flat. Great to hear their shells crack. :evil:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jun Sat 08, 2019 10:11 am

Skifish1 wrote:
polishfly wrote:

20190606_181619.jpg

Ride faster

Hahaha, I snorted a little coffee out my nose at that ;)
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Jun Sat 08, 2019 11:28 am

Agree with what everyone has said and will ad.
IMG_0564 - Copy.JPG

I do a quick check before getting in the truck and also remove my outer jacket or shirt which goes in the back of the truck bed or a small duffle. I found one in the truck and had one make it up to my neck this year so far. When I catch one I pin it down where I can keep an eye on it and wait for those 8 little legs to curl up and die.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Grain » Jun Sat 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Ticks are everywhere. A few weeks ago I opened garage and walked around the corner to pick up mail. I was outside for 5 seconds and walked 5 feet. During that time a tick jumped on me.
Grain
Game Fish

Postby bobberwatcher » Jun Sun 09, 2019 10:15 am

Reading this just gave me a major case of the creepy crawlies- I'm sure there are at least 3 of them on me right now! Can't be too careful out there with those things around. Timely reminder.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby jonny2can » Jun Sun 09, 2019 2:36 pm

You guys are going about it all wrong.. you just stop showering all together and build up a rancid stink all winter then when spring comes you smell so awful even the ticks won't go near you!
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby big jay » Jun Sun 09, 2019 5:12 pm

I literally had 16 ticks on me today fishing one of my spots that's the most I've ever had in a outing.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby Phil6 » Jun Mon 10, 2019 8:08 am

big jay wrote:I literally had 16 ticks on me today fishing one of my spots that's the most I've ever had in a outing.

Ok...now that might get me to stop going to a spot :lol:
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Tue 11, 2019 6:16 am

Phil6 wrote:
big jay wrote:I literally had 16 ticks on me today fishing one of my spots that's the most I've ever had in a outing.

Note to self, don't ask Jay for any of his spots :lol:

I actually picked up one of those Thermacell devices. $20 on Amazon if you don't mind the Olive color. Works marvelously for the flying shitheads. Now I can stop breathing in that 96% DEET crap and use it to focus on my legs for those grass crabs.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Tue 11, 2019 10:26 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:
Phil6 wrote:

Note to self, don't ask Jay for any of his spots :lol:

I actually picked up one of those Thermacell devices. $20 on Amazon if you don't mind the Olive color. Works marvelously for the flying shitheads. Now I can stop breathing in that 96% DEET crap and use it to focus on my legs for those grass crabs.

How well does it work? I would imagine its not great it in the wind?
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Tue 11, 2019 10:58 am

Phil6 wrote:How well does it work? I would imagine its not great it in the wind?

Well, if the wind is whippin the mosquitoes don't really bother you lol. I used it last night with that decent wind and don't have a single bite on me. So far so good.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Tue 11, 2019 11:17 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:
Phil6 wrote:How well does it work? I would imagine its not great it in the wind?

Well, if the wind is whippin the mosquitoes don't really bother you lol. I used it last night with that decent wind and don't have a single bite on me. So far so good.

Yea I was thinking that but a light scent might blow away easier than the skeeters. Might have to pick one up to tr. How often do you replace the carts?
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Tue 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Phil6 wrote:Yea I was thinking that but a light scent might blow away easier than the skeeters. Might have to pick one up to tr. How often do you replace the carts?

It actually smokes a little and lingers, a little better than just a smell.

You actually hafta replace a butane cartridge after every approx. 12 hours and a repellant "mat" every 4. No batteries, it runs strictly on butane. it gets slightly warmer than warm but far from hot.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:01 pm

Woo does that thermacell thing work for ticks too or just skeeters? I flicked three ticks off my legs rather quickly in the 3hrs I was out yesterday.

Not a fan of deet spray. Last yr I sprayed some around my head and neck and it ate threw the finish on the ray bans on my head :shock:
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Thu 13, 2019 7:25 am

mike son wrote:Woo does that thermacell thing work for ticks too or just skeeters? I flicked three ticks off my legs rather quickly in the 3hrs I was out yesterday.

Not a fan of deet spray. Last yr I sprayed some around my head and neck and it ate threw the finish on the ray bans on my head :shock:

I can't see it working on ticks. Though I still haven't seen any this year, idk if it's because of that or caking on that 96% DEET stuff or just flat out not coming across them.

I know what you're saying about the DEET. I sprayed some on one of my t-shirts and it ate thru the graphic.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Thu 13, 2019 7:38 am

mike son wrote:Not a fan of deet spray. Last yr I sprayed some around my head and neck and it ate threw the finish on the ray bans on my head :shock:

DEET eats almost anything synthetic. Spray it on nylon, gore-tex, etc, etc & it will dissolve. Long time back I had a 1982 Subaru wagon. It had a neat little cubby in the dash. I'd had a little bottle of Muskol 100% DEET for years (a little went a long way). On a fishing trip to the Porkies Summer '84 I left the Muskol in the cubby. It leaked just a little bit & ate thru the bottom of the cubby. Oops :shock:

Lately I've been using Repel made of eucalyptus & lemon oil. Smells good but you have to put it on frequently. Walgreens used to carry things that supposedly mimicked the sound dragon flies make. The theory is that the noise scares away skeeters. Seemed to work sort of. Haven't seen them in stores lately.

Fact is that if you love the outdoors you have to put up with certain inconveniences. That's life.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jonny2can » Jun Fri 14, 2019 3:23 am

I use this stuff.. works decent.. no strong odor.. sold at most sporting goods stores in camping sections
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Phil6 » Sep Mon 30, 2019 4:02 pm

I know this is an old thread.... but I mentioned earlier how this was "a year of ticks" for me....

Me and two buddies spent labor day weekend on smith mountain lake in Va.

There was a 30ft section of wooded brush that we had to go through to get to our friends dock.

We passed through that section ~4 times during the trip. We amassed ~10 tiny ticks during those passes

We got them all off before they could latch on

1 slipped through the cracks. My buddy found it 4 days later on his shin and plucked it off.

2 weeks later he found a large rash in the shower.

He is now taking medication for his lyme disease.

Dont f*ck around with these guys... hopefully he caught it early enough and wont suffer many long term consequences (i.e. nerve pain and joint swelling)
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby vman01 » Sep Mon 30, 2019 11:14 pm

It is a good idea if you are bit and remove the tick yourself to bag and save it as different ticks can carry different diseases. Doctors usually have to report bites and as much information as possible to the CDC. Data helps them identify trends and such.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Oct Tue 01, 2019 7:12 am

Got bitten in the Blue Ridge a few years back. Went on Doxycycline for a month. Whacked me out. All better now. Only had one on me this year. Weird too - we were driving to a friend's house for a 4th of July party. Sitting in traffic on Dempster & I felt something crawling on my arm. Flicked the MF out the window - hope it got smashed by a car.

An old friend got bitten in the Catskills a year or so ago. Didn't get it taken care of right away & is suffering the consequences.

So Phil is right - don't mess around if you find a tick attached.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Oct Tue 01, 2019 8:25 am

Rambler wrote:Sitting in traffic on Dempster & I felt something crawling on my arm

Was fishing with the same buddy who just got lyme on the DPR, were headed south on Milwuakee and we damn near crashed because we had found one crawling. Pulled over and started checking ourselves in a parking lot. We probably looked like we were on PCP
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Oct Wed 02, 2019 6:34 am

Phil6 wrote:We probably looked like we were on PCP

PCP y'all would be ripping the limb off that had the tick without flinching :lol:

Meth on the other hand...
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information