*Update* new place for all of us. Yaks, Canoes and shore

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

*Update* new place for all of us. Yaks, Canoes and shore

Postby HEDDONFROG » Sep Tue 24, 2019 6:43 pm

I’m sure some of you have seen this in the paper. I’m also quite sure the shore fishing will get killed in a couple of months but the off shore spots accessible by yak/canoe should be good indefinitely, similar to 3 Oaks. If someone from here gets out there, please post your results for the group

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyh ... ToiZzy2gn8
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: A new place for all of us. Yaks, Canoes and shore

Postby Boarder Collie » Sep Tue 24, 2019 9:18 pm

I caught a few 12-14” bass on Sunday on a senko. Be prepared to do a lot of walking to get to spots where you can cast. It’s a ten minute walk from the parking lot to the nearest spot where you launch a kayak due to steep banks and trees.
Boarder Collie
Game Fish

Postby Grain » Sep Tue 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Boarder Collie wrote:It’s a ten minute walk from the parking lot to the nearest spot where you launch a kayak due to steep banks and trees.

I was like, what? Then I looked at the map. Are they for real? 2/3 of a mile from the parking lot to the kayak launch?

launch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grain
Game Fish

Postby jonny2can » Sep Wed 25, 2019 3:39 am

Maybe that's a good thing though. The walk might keep the bucket heads from clearing out the quality fish.
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Sep Wed 25, 2019 5:07 am

2/3 of a mile is totally doable with a good cart and a decent trail. Skifish could do that while standing on his head. :D
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Sep Wed 25, 2019 6:30 am

Zoinks. You sent that link yesterday and I started thinking about trying it out on my off days next week. Looks like some more recon is in order.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vidguru » Sep Wed 25, 2019 7:58 am

what i think is funny, is the kayak launch but then on their site they say click her for park use regulations and it says: Fishing is permitted only in designated areas from the piers or shoreline of the lake, which are posted by signage. No fishing is permitted from any watercraft that the rider sits or stands upon the water.

*sure its used for all their parks but i had to laugh when they have a kayak launch and then reading that lol
vidguru
Minnow

Postby JB » Sep Wed 25, 2019 10:03 am

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Looks somewhat small from the pics?
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Sep Wed 25, 2019 10:41 am

vidguru wrote:what i think is funny, is the kayak launch but then on their site they say click her for park use regulations and it says: Fishing is permitted only in designated areas from the piers or shoreline of the lake, which are posted by signage. No fishing is permitted from any watercraft that the rider sits or stands upon the water.

*sure its used for all their parks but i had to laugh when they have a kayak launch and then reading that lol

You can fish from yaks. It opened last Friday and guys have been out. I think that’s generic for other Park lakes.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Sep Wed 25, 2019 11:04 am

Think I saw on facebook someone asked if theres ice fishing allowed but I dont think they got an answer. Fingers crossed ;)
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » Sep Thu 26, 2019 8:24 pm

joetrain wrote:2/3 of a mile is totally doable with a good cart and a decent trail. Skifish could do that while standing on his head. :D
~JOE~

I throw kayaks off of bridges , round trip 4 mile kayak launches, push through sticker Bush thickets whatever it takes if I know a 12" dink is a possibility

But that's actually pretty cool new lakes dont open to often.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: *Update* new place for all of us. Yaks, Canoes and shore

Postby HEDDONFROG » Sep Fri 27, 2019 1:26 am

Found out it’s catch and release, which should help keep numbers up. I’m sure it’ll have some poacher pressure but 3 Oaks has held up well. Also I’ve now seen multiple reports from people who have been there this week and even though it says online that there is no fishing from Kayaks, every yaker out there is fishing. I think the site will be updated. The hike to the launch is long, for now. They’re possibly putting in a small marina for rentals and launch in the future. No one has caught anything larger than 2-1/2lb bass but numbers are good. A very reliable source said he saw a 4+ smallie right by the kayak ramp. There are designated fishing areas for shore anglers but that the signage is so poor it’s unenforceable and bound to be changed to make it easier access to more of the shoreline. DNR was there today stocking both bass and bait fish. DNR said possible trout stockings to come
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Sep Fri 27, 2019 6:10 am

With the deep sections I hear people talking about, I wouldn't doubt if those trout would live well into the season. Hard to find em but they'll be there.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Sep Fri 27, 2019 3:48 pm

Fished it today briefly everyone was catching , cranks , senkos, jigs , chatters etc.....nothing huge
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DPMike » Sep Fri 27, 2019 7:56 pm

coyote wrote:Fished it today briefly everyone was catching , cranks , senkos, jigs , chatters etc.....nothing huge

Good to know.
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Pan Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » Sep Sun 29, 2019 10:57 pm

coyote wrote:Fished it today briefly everyone was catching , cranks , senkos, jigs , chatters etc.....nothing huge

That's been the reports I've been hearing as well. When I stop up I'm only bringing big swimbaits & glides. Guys that have fished it for years prior to it opening are adamant they are big ones in there. I don't doubt it
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FloridaRigger » Oct Thu 03, 2019 9:33 pm

I took my kayak there Tuesday afternoon. I lost track of the number of bass caught (a lot) but mostly shorts, biggest was only 15". probably could've caught a hundred if I was there more than a few hours. There are a ton of largemouth and bluegill in there. gills are huge if you want to bring the kids or your ultralight and have fun. Talked to a few other guys, one said he caught a nice walleye but no reports of any smallmouth bass caught. The part of the lake north of the peninsula with the launch pier is very deep. If you had a sonar, you could probably find those rumored big smallies and walters. the south end is shallower with a lot of flooded timber but is pretty much inaccessible from shore (this is where the huge schools of gills and juvenile bass were).

As far as the kayak launch, it's about 3/4 mile walk on a gravel hilly path. my quads were burning after pulling my kayak on the cart to the launch. After talking to the other guys I found there is a path down a fairly steep hill near the parking lot that most guys are putting and and taking out at (although it is against the posted rules). I took out there and it wasnt too difficult. overall I think it has a good future if there's enough forage, but I'm in no rush to head back there for a while.
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Fri 04, 2019 8:47 am

This place sounds like very many quarries in our state that sometimes don't make the best bass fisheries as far as growth size is concerned.

A lot of these quarries can be compared to oligotrophic lakes. And the other hand, our Illinois quarries aren't as deep as natural oligotrophic lakes, with that comes lack of oxygen. Sometimes the quarries are too sterile. With that comes the lack of forage all the way down to the tiniest plankton. The water table and expense of keeping some of these quarries dry for operation limits them anywhere from 20-40ft in most cases with a few exceptions. Seems like every quarry along the north Des Plaines is 20-25ft deep, the 7 quarries I have maped with sonar all have that depth. Independence grove being an exception.

A lot of times a more shallow, muddier, and more weedy lake produces the largest fish. Mesotrophic often makes the best fishing lakes. I know that goes against the weekend fisherman's thought process of 'deeper water means larger fish'.

There are IDNR reports on our Illinois lakes that detail their trophic states coupled with creel surveys and other findings.

Sorry for getting a nerdy. :D
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby crankybass » Oct Fri 04, 2019 9:28 am

Aux Pleins wrote:This place sounds like very many quarries in our state that sometimes don't make the best bass fisheries as far as growth size is concerned.

A lot of these quarries can be compared to oligotrophic lakes. And the other hand, our Illinois quarries aren't as deep as natural oligotrophic lakes, with that comes lack of oxygen. Sometimes the quarries are too sterile. With that comes the lack of forage all the way down to the tiniest plankton. The water table and expense of keeping some of these quarries dry for operation limits them anywhere from 20-40ft in most cases with a few exceptions. Seems like every quarry along the north Des Plaines is 20-25ft deep, the 7 quarries I have maped with sonar all have that depth. Independence grove being an exception.

A lot of times a more shallow, muddier, and more weedy lake produces the largest fish. I know that goes against the weekend fisherman's thought process of 'deeper water means larger fish'.

There are IDNR reports on our Illinois lakes that detail their trophic states coupled with creel surveys and other findings.

Sorry for getting a nerdy. :D

Aux, I agree with you on the more shallow, weedy lakes being, often times, the bigger bass producers. Those IDNR reports are helpful, and I would recommend a study of them prior to fishing any new waters.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » Oct Fri 04, 2019 7:40 pm

what sounds interesting to me is big gills, i wonder if they will allow ice fishing
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Oct Sat 05, 2019 6:09 am

Skifish1 wrote:what sounds interesting to me is big gills, i wonder if they will allow ice fishing

That deep of a lake I doubt it. Though the same people that would drown in 70' of water would still drown in 12' of water.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information