Chicago Fishing Forum banner

October on the Sea Plaines

10K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  KankRat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pic Dump, feel free to ask any questions.

IMG_20191027_31151.jpg

Bass have been crushing fast moving squarebills around weed edges. Caught a hundred dinks, but some real lunkers came to play as well.

IMG_20191027_10216.jpg

IMG_20191027_797.jpg

IMG_20191027_17879.jpg

IMG_20191027_52487.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
IMG_20191027_31837.jpg

IMG_20191027_22802.jpg

IMG_20191027_50702.jpg

Bonus Inland Trout outing. Red worm and bobber outing so the kid could get on them. Keeping worm 10inches under the surface was key. Trout look up when they eat.

20191027_130157.jpg

IMG_20191027_18489.jpg

Attachments

#9 ·
jonny2can said:
Those some tanks.. what you think those bass eat more.. other small fish or craws? My guess panfish since the square bill was killing it! Any square bill suggestions.. need to work on my cranking next season
I think KVD or Strike King is quality enough. To be honest it was kind of a forgotten bait for me the last few years. Then this fall with the super murky flooded conditions I was going to through some real cold spells with my usual chatter, jerkbait, and swim jig platter offerings for the bass. Then I remembered I recently watched a Midwest outdoors re-run where they went out for river smallies in late fall and the guide swore by the cold water square bill bite. So I packed one in my bag earlier this fall and haven't looked back.

#10 ·
Seems like the average size of the bass on that river has been improving over recent years. As for the Des Plaines, my biggest fishing regret from this season is not being able to hit that river as hard as I'd planned for October due to the high flows. Doesn't look like that slowed you down at all though.

#11 ·
Thats some damn impressive work, Aux.

Also loled @ your little one taking a pee break from the hard work

#16 ·
McChou said:
The fillet job on those 'bos is almost as impressive as the gators and lmb. Quality knife work there!
Was thinking the same thing, real impressive

#17 ·
McChou said:
The fillet job on those 'bos is almost as impressive as the gators and lmb. Quality knife work there!
Just got a new knife, but still managed to mangle a few fillets the wrong way. For years I would drive over to my mothers and have her do it, a former pier and meat market butcher. After endless youtube videos I'm finally getting more confident with filleting trout, especially LM brown trout. Other fish, a work in progress.

#20 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Just got a new knife, but still managed to mangle a few fillets the wrong way. For years I would drive over to my mothers and have her do it, a former pier and meat market butcher. After endless youtube videos I'm finally getting more confident with filleting trout, especially LM brown trout. Other fish, a work in progress.
I have used this technique for a while and can now break a panfish (or any other anatomically similar fish) down to the only thing being left is the stuff between the ribs now.

#23 ·
McChou said:
Aux Pleins said:
I have used this technique for a while and can now break a panfish (or any other anatomically similar fish) down to the only thing being left is the stuff between the ribs now.

Some people just make it look easy. :D Feel like I've seen that video before. "Musky mod" is that the dude from Lake-Link?

#25 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Some people just make it look easy. :D Feel like I've seen that video before. "Musky mod" is that the dude from Lake-Link?
No doubt there is a (significant) learning curve in developing the knife skills to break a fish down well. I've had more than my fair share of 'fuzzy' or 'popcorn' fillets :p
Also, I have found that depending on the size/shape of the fish, I like to leave the first side fillet 'in tact' to the carcass to keep the working surface 'symmetrical' and the cutting board less slimy. I'll start both sides, but get to the point of pulling the fillet off once I have both sides started ... anyway, sorry for going sideways on your report.

I think that is the guy from Lake-Link, but also credited with some In-Fisherman nuggets

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/ ... lls/156779

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.