Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Outdoors Photography

24K views 74 replies 24 participants last post by  charliebravo77 
#1 ·
It's been pretty quiet in here so I figured I'd post some photos from hunting and fishing trips from the past few years with my buddy and I. I am a terrible fisherman so they're going to skew heavily towards hunting and the general outdoors :oops: Some IL fishing, IL turkey hunting, NE turkey hunting, NE mule deer, AZ coues deer, AZ elk, IL squirrel, assorted hiking trips. Enjoy!

Driftless IL by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Driftless IL by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Canada Goose by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Gunnar by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Gunnar by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Bingley vom Herbstmond by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Bingley vom Herbstmond by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Urban Critters by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Urban Critters by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_6713 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Tikka T1X Hunting by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Tikka T1X Hunting by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_5680 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_5179_hires by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_5045_hires by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_5058 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

See less See more
#27 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
Always love seeing your photographs. Muskrat covered in duck weed is my fav. Keep em coming
Agreed on the muskrat pic, looks like something out of a disney movie or planet earth doc.

Lost it at the squirrels :lol:

#34 ·
Outstanding shot! Puts me in mind of a 'mental' shot I took years ago.

A buddy who'd just gotten out of the Army & I were driving from the Grand Canyon to Arches in Dec. 1974. We were on US 191 coming up from The Valley of the Gods onto White Mesa when we saw a heard of mulies standing on the west side of the road. It was sunset. The scene was so unbelievable that I pulled over. Unfortunately my camera was stashed in the back of my '72 Subaru wagon so I couldn't get it without getting out which would have probably freaked out the deer & made them run off.

The bucks stood there looking at us. Their racks were outlined in the alpenglow on the peaks of the Sierra Abajo. Absolutely amazing. Didn't get the shot but the image is still with me.

#37 ·

Let's do something cool for conservation and public lands. I've been debating what I want my first "real" prints to be of and I can't think of a better way to unveil them. This 12×18″ limited number "Conservation Edition" print is professionally mounted and framed, numbered and signed. $25 (100% of net proceeds) from each sale will go to your choice of a donation in your name to Backcountry Hunters & Anglers or the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership or a United States Federal Duck Stamp (sent to you with the print). Support wildlife and conservation efforts while decorating your hunting cabin, living room or office. Only eight available, first come first served, limit one per person. I'll hand deliver to anyone here from the Chicagoland area with a giant thank you.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers:
https://www.backcountryhunters.org/mission_and_values

Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership:
http://www.trcp.org/mission/

Federal Duck Stamps:
https://www.fws.gov/birds/get-involved/duck-stamp.php

https://chrisbrennerphoto.com/product/e ... ht-points/

#38 ·
Went to go look for some squirrels this morning. Had a pretty calm day with only 4-5mph winds and no precipitation. It was overcast which wasn't ideal but I figured it would be better than sitting at home wishing I was outside.

Got to a state wildlife area just over the border in WI and explored part of the unit. Hiked about a mile back in past a few cut corn fields and found a big stand of oak trees and what I thought surely would be prime squirrel habitat.

Ran into a guy pheasant hunting with his dog who said he's been hunting this place for years and is lucky if he sees 2-3 squirrels in an entire season and that they've been overhunted here. I took it with a grain of salt and hiked into the oaks and up a hill with a decent vantage point. Found some rabbit tracks but no sign of the rabbit that made them. Kind of hard to see in the photo, but I found one squirrel nest and leaned up against a tree for a while.

After sitting there for about 20 minutes, plus the my requisite woodspoop I hiked around some more hoping to find some kind of sign of squirrels but didn't locate anything, even with a few distress calls. There was plenty of food around, between acorns and corn left over from the harvest, so maybe he was right about the area being overhunted.

Wandered around for another half hour or so before driving over to another section I wanted to check out. This one has a class III trout stream I will probably revisit soon.

Probably would have been a decent place to duck hunt, too if the lake/pond hadn't been frozen over. No sign of squirrels here, either, but I have a feeling the giant man-made eagle nest probably didn't help things.

Found some deer sign in the form of fresh droppings and a very old rub.

Maybe I should try trapping beavers instead?

Overall not a bad way to spend a morning wandering the woods with a .22 and camera. Both of which (Tikka T1x and Fuji XF10) I grew to appreciate a little bit more on this hunt, even if one got more use than the other.

#42 ·
Turned a Nebraska deer into a meal last night. I was being filmed for a video on hunting, wild game and cooking for the IDNR and grabbed some of my own photos before hand and of the finished product.

Venison w/ Blueberry Sauce by charliebravo77, on Flickr

The recipe is Icelandic Venison with Blueberry Sauce from Hank Shaw's Buck, Buck, Moose cookbook.

#45 ·
Thanks! It was tasty.

Did some pheasant hunting with friends today.

Pheasant Hunting by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Anticipation

Orange Army: Upland Batallion

Gunnar is the first out in the field

*Tries to take a picture of me when I set my camera down and doesn't know how back button focus works*

Frankie's turn

Break time

Accidentally unlocked my lens from the body and the light leak resulted in a totally intentional artsy blown out shot

De-briaring

Some other group's bird, but lookit them colors :crazy:

#46 ·
More beautiful shots, thanks for sharing!

They are beautiful birds, even the hens. Looks like the DPCA, I used to hunt there often until I lost my lab. She was a terrible house pet, always hunting for food, garbage, what used to be food, and making messes, but she was solid gold in the field. She spoiled me and now I won't hunt without a dog. There's nothing like watching a good dog work a field, lock on a point and flush the bird, it never gets old.

#47 ·
grems said:
More beautiful shots, thanks for sharing!

They are beautiful birds, even the hens. Looks like the DPCA, I used to hunt there often until I lost my lab. She was a terrible house pet, always hunting for food, garbage, what used to be food, and making messes, but she was solid gold in the field. She spoiled me and now I won't hunt without a dog. There's nothing like watching a good dog work a field, lock on a point and flush the bird, it never gets old.
Thanks, you are correct on Des Plaines. I would really like a dog but I spend most of the day at work or commuting and I'd feel real guilty leaving one at home that long.

#50 ·
Went to MT and Yellowstone over the summer. Unfortunately I didn't get to do much fishing or hiking due to a severe ankle sprain that developed conveniently when I arrived in MT. Oh well, got a few decent photos while there.

YNP by charliebravo77, on Flickr

MT by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_1419 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Since I didn't get to do much fishing in MT I went on a guided fly trip on the Kankakee with Austin Adduci - had a great time and highly recommend him.

Went up to WI for some grouse hunting in September. Made a visit to the St. Croix factory store and did some economy stimulating.

Northwoods Grouse by charliebravo77, on Flickr

DSCF6358 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Tagged along on a WY elk hunt with a couple friends. Got two cow elk. Tried to fill some of my own pronghorn tags as well but struck out. Got a little cold and snowy up on the mountain.

#51 ·
Very pro- all of them. I like whatever you are doing post.
Looks sort of like film- kind of retro, in a good way.? Nice touch on the last "northwoods grouse" . The OOF leaves really frame that beautifully.

+1 on Austin's guided trips. i went on one, this summer. It was really fun. I was nervous about my casting , but in the end I did pretty well and managed to avoid clocking Austin in the head with my fly.
Fly fishing from a driftboat is really fishing in style. It's just so relaxing. I had one really great day up in the UP, but other than that it was the highlight of my year.

I laughed at your back-button AF comment too. I use that too and yeah that ridiculously simple concept seems to befuddle people. I set up my U1 and U2 (Nikon speak) so if I need to hand my camera to a normal person the AF is not disabled from the shutter release. Then there is a 50//50 shot that the intended subject wuill be in focus. I think Canon has a similar set up.

It would not surprise me one bit if these are all published in a mag.
Bravo Charlie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.