Chicago Fishing Forum banner

LEAK?

13K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  bobberwatcher 
#1 ·
Has there been a report of a leak from the plant?

#4 ·
They did release accidentally release some radiation, but that was like 10 years ago. It was only tritium, so I wouldn't be too worried. Just buy and use the iodized salt, not the plain stuff and you should do alright. It's not been stunting the catfish so that's good.

75% of nuclear power sites in the US are currently leaking. All of them are terrorist targets. Burn some more fossil fuels instead.

#6 ·
Peter Piper said:
Btw, why iodized salt?
Iodine is needed to protect your thyroid from radiation if exposed. It's somewhat of a myth to get if from salt as you'd need to swallow 3 1/2 lbs of salt to get the amount of iodine in one radiation pill. I figure the average American eats at least 3 1/2 lbs of salt weekly, so you might as well buy the iodized salt. Just avoid sea salt as most of it is radioactively contaminated from the Fukushima meltdown.

#7 ·
Peter Piper said:
I live by the Wisconsin border and go to Sterling a bit. The steam plume always makes me wonder.......Btw, why iodized salt?
Reference to the Pleasant Praire powerplant that always seems to be on full blast?

I've noticed the Waukegan Powerplant Stacks only run every so often, not even a 1/10th the time as Pleasant Praire. Waukegan discharges water into Lake Michigan. Pleasant praire discharges into the Des Plaines via creek. I'm still a newb up here so my patterns are all recent.

#8 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Pleasant praire discharges into the Des Plaines via creek. I'm still a newb up here so my patterns are all recent.
Better fish that warm water now. Pleasant Prairie is shutting down for good in a few months. :idea: I'll miss it as those billowing stacks were my shore reference while kayak trolling for cohos.

#9 ·
RonG said:
Aux Pleins said:
Pleasant praire discharges into the Des Plaines via creek. I'm still a newb up here so my patterns are all recent.
Better fish that warm water now. Pleasant Prairie is shutting down for good in a few months. :idea: I'll miss it as those billowing stacks were my shore reference while kayak trolling for cohos.
Wowzur... When they converted a couple plants on the DPR from coal to natural gas a few years ago fishing suffered, lol. The plant uses way less water and discharges far less. The bright side was, there's no longer tons of coal ash spilling into the river.

#11 ·
Hmm. I was at the river today behind Sterling for about an hour. Last year, my wife noticed a credit card sized red/dry blotch on my back and another just below my left pec. When I got home it looked like I was in the summer sun all day. WTF? Am I cooked? Just waiting for my growth spurt Rambler and all will be worth it. Land of the Giants soon to follow....

#13 ·
Peter Piper said:
Just waiting for my growth spurt Rambler and all will be worth it. Land of the Giants soon to follow....
Let us know where we can come see it.

RonG said:
Kids are overrated.
Maybe. But grand kids are not overrated.

BTw - have you noticed that having kids is hereditary? If your parents didn't have any chances are you won't either...

#14 ·
RonG - I wonder where you got the info that says 75% of plants are leaking?

Big efforts were made after plants discovered they did leak some tritium. Tanks and underground piping were repaired. Ground water is now monitored regularly. Its a common misconception the fish become radioactive. There is much monitoring by operating companies and the NRC so that nuclear plants don't release radiation. BTW - its a very "green" source of electric power. PM me if you want more info.

#16 ·
Wow- didn't realize it was an old post- anyhow, got me thinking about a time last summer while fishing Heidecke which has always been kinda eerie, when the alarms sounded in the distance. I was literally paralyzed by fear. What would you do? What COULD you do? I eventually heard the test announcement. Whew!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.