Chicago Fishing Forum banner

On a recent daily woodland stroll

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Rambler 
#1 ·
Saw this guy. Thought urbanhog would crap himself. :D

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice pic! Looks like you're close to him and he isn't even scared. Suburban buck haha. I don't even have to venture into the woods to see wildlife anymore, pulled into my driveway this evening to see a red fox on my garage roof! Unfortunately, I was too slow with the camera.

#11 ·
catchafew said:
Did you have to use some massive zoom lens to get those pictures?
Those crazies will come right up to you. I once had a wacky doe following me around a pond in Bartlett. It was getting so close, I wondered if she had rabies or was just retarded. A few times @ the DPR around N Riverside, the sun set on me and man, they came out thick in the dark like mosquitoes and surrounded me, moving in close with little or no fear of man.

#12 ·
catchafew said:
Shot was taken with a Gen 1 Canon G7 - in its day a high-end point & shoot. So no massive lens. But our local FP deer are pretty used to people so you can get really close.

By my count he has 13 points. I used to run into his great grand dad - a legit 14 pointer. 1st time I saw him was on the DPR trail & I thought somehow an elk had gotten loose. Maybe 15 winters ago I saw him - he had a gimpy front leg. I thought, "well pal, this is the last time I'll see you". And it was.

Here are a couple more shots.

Attachments

#13 ·
Rambler said:
catchafew said:
Shot was taken with a Gen 1 Canon G7 - in its day a high-end point & shoot. So no massive lens. But our local FP deer are pretty used to people so you can get really close.

By my count he has 13 points. I used to run into his great grand dad - a legit 14 pointer. 1st time I saw him was on the DPR trail & I thought somehow an elk had gotten loose. Maybe 15 winters ago I saw him - he had a gimpy front leg. I thought, "well pal, this is the last time I'll see you". And it was.

Here are a couple more shots.
If that one little short point on his right side is at least 1 inch long, then it's considered a point, and he'd be a 14, but yeah, after looking at it more closely, he's 100% a 13, and possibly a 14. Either way, that's one hell of a buck. Have to hope some lurker doesn't go looking for it to poach it. :shock:

#15 ·
SmalliesNEyes said:
Have to hope some lurker doesn't go looking for it to poach it.
A couple winters ago in those same woods I saw a tree stand. Nobody home but I looked around & found an arrow. I took it to FPD HQ & told them where I found it and where the tree stand was. Not sure what they did about it but the next time I was over there it was gone. WTF is wrong with people?

#16 ·
Rambler said:
SmalliesNEyes said:
Have to hope some lurker doesn't go looking for it to poach it.
A couple winters ago in those same woods I saw a tree stand. Nobody home but I looked around & found an arrow. I took it to FPD HQ & told them where I found it and where the tree stand was. Not sure what they did about it but the next time I was over there it was gone. WTF is wrong with people?
Don't think you need me to answer that question. And yeah, poachers suck.

#17 ·
thats a monsta. he hasnt even hit old age yet. look for those antlers to become even more impressive over the years. i spend a stupid amount of hours up in a tree hoping to catch a glimpse of a nice buck and i often do encounter them. but at that caliber in the wild (not a FP), they are smart enough to never even get in gun range let alone archery range. amazing. thanks for sharing, rambler.

#18 ·
I remember reading in Sports Afield, Field & Stream or some other rag years ago about some guys who were hunting mulies in western ND. They were sitting above a ****** & watched thru their glasses as another hunter moved up the ******. A buck got down on its knees & crawled thru the high grass around behind the hunter & took off (it was out of their range). They are smart MFs... :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.