1/28 The New Normal

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

1/28 The New Normal

Postby RonG » Jan Wed 29, 2020 12:52 am

I just took a peek at my mental calendar and realized next month will be a full 3 years since I ice fished. It's time to bring
back my old normal of hitting the ice. Life is too short

to miss any more years of sacred ice angling.

Just like falling off a bike, you never really forget how to ice fish once you have it down. First fish was a perchie and came within moments of the first drop.

DSCF1186.JPG

The ice was 2.5 to 5" thick, but the bite was slow. After 3 years it was hard to round up all the gear. I found everything except my small jig box. :twisted: 90% of my ice jigs and plastics are in that box so I hope I find it soon.

My infamous external double pack (24v) of batteries was finally retired as I added a couple of li-ion standard drill batteries for my 19.2v set up. My UV flashlight croaked so I didn't stay much past dark for the night bite. 'Ended up with 6 perch and 6 microscopic blue jills.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: 1/28 The New Normal

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Wed 29, 2020 3:14 am

2.5 inches :shock: that's when l go home. At least you got out. I'm hoping to drill some holes Thursday or friday if time prevails.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby catchafew » Jan Wed 29, 2020 7:50 am

Nice report Ron, always good to see your reports.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jan Wed 29, 2020 8:07 am

I was at a planning session for our local park district a couple years ago. Some folks were complaining that they don't flood the parks for ice skating anymore. The PD guy said they can't justify the cost because "winters have become so unreliable."

I'm jonesing for spring. Ordered some new dry flies last week...
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jan Wed 29, 2020 10:00 am

2.5" were just a few spots that were sections that had frozen up last (concentric circles of freeze up thing) and easily spotted without any snow-cover by non-dummies. I remember learning about these from my dummy days when I almost went through Zurich one foggy Saturday morning.

Rambler: The PD probably couldn't justify the cost of making outdoor ice rinks because Rahmbo so jacked up the cost of Lake Michigan municipal water to any suburbs that are held hostage by Chicago. Our winters are always unreliable for ice. Latitudinally, we are about as far south as you get to even have an ice season. Middle and lower Illinois really don't have an ice season. We are too far south to have the luxury of being able to drive our vehicles out onto lakes or have big permanent ice shanties that get left on the ice for the whole winter.

I can't even count how many winters I got out early, late December or early January, and posted some bang-up fishing reports. Others sat back, didn't fish because calendar-wise it seemed too early or they figured they had all winter to get out. Within a week, the ice was gone, sometimes to return that season, some times not. Rain and heavy snow on top of iffy ice is pretty normal Chicago winter, messing things up. I guess that's why there are no ski resorts south of us.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby polishfly » Jan Wed 29, 2020 10:06 am

Hell yea RonG on ice!!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jan Fri 31, 2020 1:21 am

catchafew wrote:always good to see your reports.

Dittos to you!~ Not many formal reports these days. Good to see any reports. There's so few, I'd even welcome one from lokal :crazy:yokal. Where's JB, skifish, fishdank, bassman20 and the other ice guys?
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Mar Tue 10, 2020 2:35 pm

RonG wrote:After 3 years it was hard to round up all the gear. I found everything except my small jig box. 90% of my ice jigs and plastics are in that box so I hope I find it soon.

I found it! I dropped the LED bulb unit from my kayak light and was crawling around on my hands and knees and found the box under a rack unit for my power tools. :thumbup: Half a dozen Jigging Raps were in there too. Who knows how long it would have remained hidden had I not dropped the light thingy.

Just in time for ice season to be over! :evil:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Mar Tue 10, 2020 2:55 pm

Between my old age setting in and my move out of Illinois I’m always looking for something.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Ice Fishing