Chicago Fishing Forum banner

suns out, flags about

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Islandfisher 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2/8 - started at sunrise with the old man for another typical father/son ice mission. same plan as always; dad sits in the shanty with the heat blasting and a thermos of coffee while i set and tend to the tip ups, occasionally punching more holes to mark fish. when a flag does raise, a double tap on the windowless shack tells him its time to roll out of there and run in the direction i report.

action was nil until the sun poked out around 930 and flags started to pop. over the course of the next couple hours, we raised over a dozen largemouth including two standouts.

image13.jpg

image12.jpg

all largemouth came on medium sized roaches hooked up to a treble on 12 lb floro. i like to zig zag the spread throughout shallow and deeper water to see what works. not uncommon to get bit in 4 fow and 16 fow all in the same outing.

2/9 - set out with great hope at sunrise again. 5 hours went by and we had hoisted up 2 largemouth. a random blizzard that ripped through town kept us bunkered down in the shack. this is why i always bring a nice assortment of snacks and refreshments.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice ones! Single treble on the roaches? Guessing you hook behind the dorsal?

#10 ·
Single treble on the roaches? Guessing you hook behind the dorsal?
yep, one treble hooked actually right in front of the dorsal. was using dropshot style hooks in case of a tough bite but hookup ratio was not as good.

Nice you in Wisconsin Hog?
fib country. but thinking about some north-of-the-border action this weekend on a lake we have discussed in the past.

thanks boys. tight lines.

#13 ·
Thanks Urb, been experimenting with various hook styles and placements under traps and have yet to figure out anything significant :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.