Chicago Fishing Forum banner

2019 Stocking Report Cook County Forest Preserves

10K views 49 replies 16 participants last post by  Fishy Bitch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
IMG_0934.JPG
For those who have not yet seen it, the 2019 Stocking Report for Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes is out . I got this at the Tinley Park Expo last Saturday where the IDNR had an exhibit. 572,890 fish were stocked in 2019 representing 6 different species. Interesting data. I will try and scan. Tight lines all.
I now attach a photo. Apologies for the small print. If you click on the picture it will right size and be easier to read.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Bass have been getting poached at Busse on the regular this winter and last. 10inch bass up to those nice 18/19 inch busse bruisers. I haven't been on busse ice in almost 3 years now since the move, but I had multiple people send me that information last winter and to Skifish1's defense he witnessed it in person this winter as well. Theres a really far hike to get to some productive water at busse and this is where its taking place. IDNR or County boys most likely won't venture that far on foot so it's a shame.

On another subject, I have a question for y'all. Are private ponds subjected to Illinois regs? Like if I bought a house that had a pond on my property could I let's say use 4 tip ups?

#28 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Bass have been getting poached at Busse on the regular this winter and last. 10inch bass up to those nice 18/19 inch busse bruisers. I haven't been on busse ice in almost 3 years now since the move, but I had multiple people send me that information last winter and to Skifish1's defense he witnessed it in person this winter as well. Theres a really far hike to get to some productive water at busse and this is where its taking place. IDNR or County boys most likely won't venture that far on foot so it's a shame.

On another subject, I have a question for y'all. Are private ponds subjected to Illinois regs? Like if I bought a house that had a pond on my property could I let's say use 4 tip ups?
I'm not denying the poaching, or its existence. There are poachers everywhere. My intention wasn't to attack Skifish1, so hopefully he doesn't take it that way. I just think it's not fair to lump "fish harvesters", which I equate with those who legally and ethically harvest, in with poachers, as if they're one and the same, and that's what his post seemed to do, in my opinion. I was more just branching off of what he was saying to point out that it seems like anyone who harvests fish seems to get lumped in as some sort of unethical angler by many on here. And that's just not right. As if anyone who doesn't strictly practice CPR is somehow doing something wrong/bad.

As far as the private pond thing goes, no, I would think if it's a privately owned pond, on private land, and you're the one who manages it, and stocks it, etc. then you can basically do what you want. It's not a bad question for the DNR, but I would imagine Illinois regulations don't apply to private bodies of water, if I were just using logic. It's not like the DNR is gonna come stock it for you... so they likely don't have anything to do with the management of that body of water. I'm curious to know how that also applies to private clubs, honestly, but I think it would function similarly.

#29 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Theres a really far hike to get to some productive water at busse and this is where its taking place. IDNR or County boys most likely won't venture that far on foot so it's a shame.
I was fishing 1/2 mile out on little sturgeon last winter at 2am, -5 degrees, and a Wisc DNR officer walked all the way out, alone, to check our papers. There was only 2 other shacks out at that time. Was really cool to see. Good on them.

#30 ·
Phil6 said:
Aux Pleins said:
Theres a really far hike to get to some productive water at busse and this is where its taking place. IDNR or County boys most likely won't venture that far on foot so it's a shame.
I was fishing 1/2 mile out on little sturgeon last winter at 2am, -5 degrees, and a Wisc DNR officer walked all the way out, alone, to check our papers. There was only 2 other shacks out at that time. Was really cool to see. Good on them.
We were out on the roadbed on Shabbona on Saturday morning, around 10am, temps around 5 degrees(if that) with the windchill, and a DNR officer walked out to check us. Probably around 6-8 shacks setup in our general area. Sat and bullshit with us for a bit, verified our fish, checked our licenses, and then moved on to the next shack.

The DNR does what they can, with what they have. I can't fault them for not being able to get to every lake, every day, especially in this state.

#31 ·
SmalliesNEyes said:
I'm not denying the poaching, or its existence. There are poachers everywhere. My intention wasn't to attack Skifish1, so hopefully he doesn't take it that way. I just think it's not fair to lump "fish harvesters", which I equate with those who legally and ethically harvest, in with poachers, as if they're one and the same, and that's what his post seemed to do, in my opinion. I was more just branching off of what he was saying to point out that it seems like anyone who harvests fish seems to get lumped in as some sort of unethical angler by many on here. And that's just not right. As if anyone who doesn't strictly practice CPR is somehow doing something wrong/bad.
You are absolutely right on this. And skifish1 has no problem with legal harvest, he really meant to describe poaching not selective harvest. Hes getting old, brain fart no doubt. The guy gets a crazy when he cant go on a 6hr kayak float after work with the short daylight we have in the winter.

#32 ·
Aux Pleins said:
SmalliesNEyes said:
You are absolutely right on this. And skifish1 has no problem with legal harvest, he really meant to describe poaching not selective harvest. Hes getting old, brain fart no doubt. The guy gets a crazy when he cant go on a 6hr kayak float after work with the short daylight we have in the winter.
:thumbup:

My initial posts probably came off more abrasive than I intended, also. I wasn't necessarily speaking to him, but more to the general opinion of many, he just happened to be the person I directed my post at.

#36 ·
Woohoodude11 said:
Phil6 said:
Anytime my parents have guests over and I get back from fishing without any fish, they give me shit about it.
Been there. This might be the year I provide the Christmas Carp for the wife's family :sick:
Dont forget to keep it in the tub for a day or two before!

#37 ·
I don't have a problem with people who sometimes (in some cases even often) keep legal fish.

I do have a problem with people who keep as many fish as they can from bodies of water that can't sustain it.

I know a guy, good guy by most accounts, who I sometimes talk to about fishing who one day showed me a picture of a pile of 100+ channel cats that he and his family caught and kept out of a small pond in the south suburbs. It was legal, there is no limit in IL on channel cats, but I have a hard time accepting that it was ethical.

The broader point is that the regulations are very general and very hard to change. Responsible anglers use good judgement rather than just keeping everything they can.

#38 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Woohoodude11 said:
Been there. This might be the year I provide the Christmas Carp for the wife's family :sick:
Are they Ukrainian? That's a xmas tradition for a lot of eastern Europeans. Tony's Fresh Markets usually sell a ton of carp for xmas.
Polish. And Phil if I can get a livewell for it I'll let them do that tradition haha.

#41 ·
Smallies steve when i say 2 guys fishing 10 tipups its 2 guys fishing 10 tipups. Period. Illegal. Catch bass walk to shore put them in the woods. Actually they are very nice guys talked to them quite a bit. I believe they probably dont exceed the limit , probably mind the length limits also. They are all over the place wisconsin rivers salmon trout, green bay whitefish, river walleye. On big bodies of water where there are bays and areas where there is no IDNR enforcement rules are bent, and i have seen plenty of that at busse through the years whether undersized bass or the classic "i didnt know it was a bass". I dont have an issue in harvest of gamefish fish if done legally. Keeping fish caught in illegal manner thats not right and it happens in locations where people dont believe they will be caught. Always is the case it seems good people, friendly, they just fish by their own rules.

#42 ·
When you seen 2 guys using 10 tip ups did you make a call ? If they were walking in the woods to put their catch in most likely they weren't on the up and up. Even if they didn't have more than they legally were allowed how they were fishing was and warranted a call. 2 cells you can call. Nathan Prausn 708-475-3906 Nicholas Kusta 708-879-2036.

#44 ·
I drove over to main boat house area and dock area looking for idnr. Sometimes on weekends they do license checks in the more populous areas. But not aware of phone numbers you can use for real time call ins. These numbers you provided above if these are personal mobile numbers suggest delete the numbers above

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.