Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Ice out!

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cletedius 
#1 ·
Partial ice out by me. The rest I won't walk on. Pretty much normal--i usually figure by March 8th it's gone, often sooner.

I used to push it more with cramming 'one last outing'. I used to kayak 3 miles out on Lake Michigan. 'Don't seem to do either anymore. I never did iffy ice stuff, I just start my seasons a little later and end them a little earlier now.

#3 ·
SpecialEd said:
You going up to Depere this year? That's a bite I'd like to get on...
Up by the dam, there is some decent action for shore angling. A lot of snaggers too. :thumbdown:

I haven't even thought of it. It would take a lot of working out to get in shape. An 8-10 hr night of paddling in the cold is brutal and even worse if I take a nap and do it again. What kills me is to spend $60 for a license that ends the end of this month, then if the bonanza doesn't happen until after 4/1, be tempted to buy another.

#5 ·
May I ask what exactly you're talking about? lol

RonG said:
SpecialEd said:
You going up to Depere this year? That's a bite I'd like to get on...
Up by the dam, there is some decent action. A lot of snaggers too. :thumbdown:

I haven't even thought of it. It would take a lot of working out to get in shape. An 8-10 hr night of paddling in the cold is brutal and even worse if I take a nap and do it again. What kills me is to spend $60 for a license that ends the end of this month, then if the bonanza doesn't happen until after 4/1, be tempted to buy another.

#6 ·
philkol123 said:
Walleye fishing in the Green Bay area. Pretty much a boating thing, but just like when I starting kayaking back in the early 2000s to get at the LM perch that only the boats could, I figured a kayak should work for these walleyes.

https://www.windycityfishing.com/forums ... 82#p440482

Dang Photobucket, messing up everyone's photos :twisted:

#8 ·
3 of the ponds/lakes I frequent near home in the Hoffman/Schaumburg area were either partially iced or fully covered yesterday. One is still 100% frozen as of late today. Pissed me off, had everything in my car to fish it. Couple from yesterday on a pond that was 50/50. Last year it was March 15th when I was able to wet a line here the first time. 6 mini clone bass and the 1 Crop. Had a much better day last year too

Attachments

#9 ·
Today, Wednesday march 11th, DPR backwaters and creeks along the Wisconsin border are still iced over. One popular spot is about 90% ice still albeit some slushy looking shit. The main channel is open and rising and has a very stained Columbian coffee with 2 teaspoons of oat milk kind of look. Was thinking about hitting Independence, but something tells me that still has some annoying ice.

I did notice Old School is wide open for those guys who have it in their rotation.

#10 ·
RonG said:
philkol123 said:
Walleye fishing in the Green Bay area. Pretty much a boating thing, but just like when I starting kayaking back in the early 2000s to get at the LM perch that only the boats could, I figured a kayak should work for these walleyes.
:
Those walleye are very wack & stackable for the shore fisherman as well(no, not talking about snagging them by the dam :thumbdown: ). Have had a few 20+ fish days casting off the Island while the banks were still covered in ice & the river open. 1 of the few (excellent) opportunites for the shore guys to tag a true trophy walleye without a boat.

Just dont even think about it on a weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.