Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Cocoon Question

24K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  BrookeT 
#1 ·
Hello WCF members,
Discovered this cocoon on a branch in my backyard the other day. A large crow was desperately trying to get it which is how we made the discovery. We clipped the branch and moved the cocoon into an old butterfly hatching mesh enclosure now hanging next to my patio door outside.
Anybody have a guess on what type of moth or butterfly will emerge?
My initial guess was a Cecropia Moth but it might not be large enough.

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
I have them in my yard as well. People who are big on vegetable or fruit gardens will actually buy those eggs and hatch them in their garden to protect their crops from mites and bugs.

I played 16 inch softball 5 or 6 nights a week all over the city and suburbs. The Mantises would be out and about feeding on mosquitoes, a lot of times up near the light posts, but also all across outfield grasses.

That being said, I'm definitely not certain it's a mantis, I only hope it is :lol:

#14 ·
If I remember correctly from my days of youth, when there was an abundance of butterflies and moths, enough so I collected as a hobby.
Butterflies have a chrysalis.
Moths have a cocoon.

I defer to Aux.

I got a chance one night in norther Wisconsin (junior high age), to see a flying Luna moth. We had hung a white bed sheet, and shone a spot-light on it. Had to smother myself in bug spray. But it was fun to watch all the stuff that showed up. Even bats feasting on all the bugs.

And to really go far astray from this thread, one night while walleye fishing, I cast the crank bait I was using, and part way through the follow thru, the line went slack. then started moving erratically. A bat took a swipe at my bait in mid-air and hooked himself. I was quite surprised when I reeled in to see what was flopping around. Fortunately, it freed itself.

OK Rambler. Its your turn for a good story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.