WTB - spinning rod and reel, basic tackle, etc.

Here's the place you can sell your stuff, buy stuff, or make requests.

WTB - spinning rod and reel, basic tackle, etc.

Postby deaddog » May Mon 11, 2020 9:55 am

Now that I have my canoe in the water, I'm starting to think about a fishing setup. As basically a beginner, with no gear, I'd like to start with a used, decent to better quality setup, medium or medium/heavy, fast but I'm open to suggestions by those who know more than I do (which is all of you!). My goals at this stage are nothing more than getting a line in the water (DPR, surrounding lakes, Mazonia, etc) and, at some point, pulling in a bass. My guess is that I'll enjoy/be more successful with used good equipment than new less good equipment - but feedback always welcome.

I already checked on the Revo X combo for sale on the board but the guy hasn't responded and hasn't been online since he first posted.

So, I gotta believe that a number of you guys have a lot of gear you're not using. I'm hoping to find a rod and reel in very good or better shape for around $100 +/- and my shopping around suggests that used gear goes at about 50-60% of new - obviously that varies wildly but its what I've seen on CL, ebay, etc. I'm also interested in full setups (tackle boxes, lures, line, etc) - I'm starting with nothing.

Of course, cash only deals.

Finally, even if you don't have anything to sell, feel free to offer your gear advice.

Thanks
deaddog
Minnow

Re: WTB - spinning rod and reel, basic tackle, etc.

Postby FloridaRigger » May Mon 11, 2020 11:48 am

You can get a pretty good spinning combo new for under $100. Pflueger President 30 size and a Lightning Rod 6'6 or 7' medium would be a good choice. should be able to pick both up from BPS
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pfluege ... nning-reel
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/berkley ... inning-rod
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » May Mon 11, 2020 12:54 pm

FloridaRigger wrote:You can get a pretty good spinning combo new for under $100. Pflueger President 30 size and a Lightning Rod 6'6 or 7' medium would be a good choice. should be able to pick both up from BPS

I'm with FloridaRigger on the Pflueger. Can't say about the Lightning Rod. If you can find a President XT rather than a regular President go for it. Faster retrieves, lower weight.

Another option is eBay. There's lots of fishing stuff there - you can search for rods and/or reels or combos.

I'd suggest you go a bit higher on price than you want to - you'll be happy you did. I'm saying this at the risk of losing my good standing with the AACB.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby deaddog » May Mon 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks guys. Here is another beginner question -- while I get that the extra dollar spent on the reel can give some real value, is the same true for a rod? Should I be looking to up the dollars on the rod as well as the reel and what am I looking for in the more expensive rod?
deaddog
Minnow

Postby FloridaRigger » May Mon 11, 2020 1:47 pm

deaddog wrote:Thanks guys. Here is another beginner question -- while I get that the extra dollar spent on the reel can give some real value, is the same true for a rod? Should I be looking to up the dollars on the rod as well as the reel and what am I looking for in the more expensive rod?

For rods, more expensive usually means lighter and more sensitive. I dont think you'll see much of a difference unless you get to a $100+ rod compared to the lightning rod. For moving lures, you dont really need sensitivity. I'd start off with weightless 5" senkos (wacky or texas rigged), 4" curly tail grubs on a 1/8oz plain jighead, boot tail swimbaits (3.8" keitech swing impact fat), and inline spinners (mepps agila #4 and #5). those work just about anywhere for bass. for pike add a steel leader and you can still use the swimbaits and inline spinners.

For reels I like the President XT as well, that's what I use mostly as well as the more expensive Supreme because they are lighter and have faster retrieves.
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » May Mon 11, 2020 1:57 pm

FloridaRigger wrote:for pike add a steel leader

Always use a steel leader in the DPR unless like Aux you spool your reel with coaxial cable. :D

Glad to see Rigger agrees with me on the President XT.

Re rods:A good compromise - more than $50, less than $100 - with good sensitivity and backbone is the Cabelas Fish Eagle 54. After snapping my Fenwick Silverhawk II last year I replaced it with one of these - a 7' medium. They're usually around $70. Really very good for the money.

I also have a Daiwa Fuego rod. Again, not expensive and very good.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » May Mon 11, 2020 2:20 pm

deaddog wrote:Thanks guys. Here is another beginner question -- while I get that the extra dollar spent on the reel can give some real value, is the same true for a rod? Should I be looking to up the dollars on the rod as well as the reel and what am I looking for in the more expensive rod?

My thoughts:
I tend to spend more on rods than I do reels. Rods are less "disposable", IMO. I dont think the difference in reels of similar price-points is going to mean much to the beginning or novice angler. I.e.; the difference between a 50$ shimano, pflueger, daiwa really isnt going to mean a lot. Quality-wise they are about the same & the differences in their characteristics wont mean much until youve had some time to determine what YOU do or dont like in a reel. I hate pflueger reels but that doesnt mean they are worse than daiwas or shimanos, I just dont care for their specific characteristics, but as you've read above, everybody has their own likes/dislikes. Go to a retailer & pick out a few different 1s & buy the 1 that speaks or feels the nicest to you. Quality-wise,its mostly the same sh*t with a different label, IMO.
Couple things to consider:
The "cheaper" the gear you start with, the sooner youll be looking to upgrade it, assuming you continue the sport of fishing. Going cheap often winds up being more expensive, not because of breakage, but because you wind up buying gear you like better as your experience-level grows. Thats not to say I suggest going "high-end" to start, but I do suggest going with gear your not going to outgrow quickly & feel compelled to upgrade, hence buying it 2x.
When manufacterers update specific models, often the outgoing version will be marked down to get them out of inventory. IMO this is the best way to get the most bang for your buck.

So in short, go to a retailer, put a bunch of options in your hand, & buy the 1 you like the most regardless of the brand.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » May Mon 11, 2020 2:25 pm

Cletedius's points are spot on.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » May Mon 11, 2020 7:11 pm

You're getting very good advice in this thread. I have heard so many good things about the Pflueger spinning reels that they must be true. I agree with Cletedius about spending more on the rod but I also agree with Floridarigger in that for fast moving baits, quality is not as important as long you getting a proficient rod to start with. Since you are just beginning any 2500 size reel and 6' 6" medium action rod will suffice if you get a combo that is in the $100 range. It is hard to go wrong if you stick with a major brand such as Shimano, Daiwa, Pflueger, or Abu Garcia. Have someone at the store show you some rods and reels in your price range and pull the trigger. To start, this isn't something to overly-analyze. There is plenty of time for that later.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » May Mon 11, 2020 11:37 pm

FloridaRigger wrote:You can get a pretty good spinning combo new for under $100. Pflueger President 30 size and a Lightning Rod 6'6 or 7' medium would be a good choice. should be able to pick both up from BPS

Do what F.R says get president and a lightning rod. Or a Daiwa Revros its a good durable low cost spinning reel instead of the flueger. Dont buy used buy a 7 foot med rod size 3000 reel and you can use that as most versatile setup. Dont get a rod any shorter than 6'6. 100 bucks with tax if you look hard even cheaper.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » May Tue 12, 2020 7:05 am

Check Sierra Trading Post They have combo outfits in your price range.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » May Tue 12, 2020 7:54 am

Great advice all around! I say stay away from 2 piece but that could be contested. I like 13 Fishing rods, you get a good bang for your buck. I sport the Omen Black for my spinning setup with a Daiwa Lexa reel. Very smooth, light, balanced, and sensitive. My buddy ended up buying 2 of the same combos cause he liked mine so much.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Tue 12, 2020 8:28 am

I think all agree it's hard to go wrong with any reel from well-known brands. Pflueger, Abu, Daiwa, Shimano, Lews, etc. all make good products across the price range.

I like Pflueger but I have a Daiwa Regal that's outstanding.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jonny2can » May Tue 12, 2020 12:48 pm

Agreed.. I own a daiwa regal.. 60 bucks it's pretty good for being a medium to lower priced reel
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » May Tue 12, 2020 7:16 pm

RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » May Wed 13, 2020 8:31 am

"This posting has been deleted by the author". Must have been too good to be true.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » May Wed 13, 2020 12:28 pm

Rambler wrote:"This posting has been deleted by the author". Must have been too good to be true.

Nope, deleted because they went so fast as I knew they would. About 6 brand name rods with at least 3 of them having brand name reels. If they were closer to me, I would have snatched them up myself. Just avoid the guy on Craigs usually in Shiller Park or Elk Grove that daily is giving away an Old Town Canoe, kayak, boat or trailer that wants you to text him. Those are all scams.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » May Wed 13, 2020 1:11 pm

jonny2can wrote:Agreed.. I own a daiwa regal.. 60 bucks it's pretty good for being a medium to lower priced reel

I paid $50 for mine - it's a LT2500-XH. Really light & 6.2:1 gear ratio. I have it on a Daiwa Fuego 7' M. Great combination for bass.

Looking forward to hearing what deaddog winds up getting.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby deaddog » May Fri 15, 2020 7:58 am

Guys, thanks again for all your help. I ended up getting a Lews Mach II Spinning combo, 6'9" medium/fast. Flash Sale at Dick's so $95 - with curbside pickup so instant gratification. Of course, line and tackle (following your guidance) added more than that to the final bill but the basic setup appears to be there. Now the biggest challenge will be to figure out how to work it all, how to get the fish to bite, and then how to get it into the canoe - and off the hook! Trial and error awaits - hopefully involviing very little capsizing.
deaddog
Minnow

Postby Rambler » May Fri 15, 2020 9:06 am

deaddog wrote:Now the biggest challenge will be to figure out how to work it all, how to get the fish to bite, and then how to get it into the canoe - and off the hook! Trial and error awaits - hopefully involviing very little capsizing.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Can't go wrong with Lew's.

If you're really worried about spilling be sure to wear a PFD. Also consider strapping your gear box(es) to your boat so if you do spill you don't lose your shit. You should also consider getting an anchor. Trying to cast not to mention landing a fish, while your boat is blowing around is a bitch.

Getting bass in the boat is no biggy. Grab it by the lip & pull it in. Pike & musky are another thing entirely. Probably a good idea to get a short-handled net. Plenty to choose from + all sorts of other gear you might want on eBay. For example, I bought some paddle holders on eBay a few years ago & mounted them on my canoe (I use a kayak paddle) so I can secure my paddle while fishing. Comes in really handy.

You might also consider picking up some steel leaders for fishing in waters that have toothy critters. Otherwise you risk losing lures. Not a problem with cheap jigs but a bigger issue with more expensive stuff. Or you can do like Aux & spool your reel with coaxial cable oops - I mean 60lb braid. :lol:

And Aux - this is really meant in good fun. You are the absolute master of catching toothy critters. :D

Have fun!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby deaddog » May Fri 15, 2020 9:26 am

Thanks - all good points and I've clearly got more shopping to do. I always wear the PFD - decades of scuba diving taught me great respect for all bodies of water. Shit happens, be prepared.
deaddog
Minnow

Return to The Trading Post