Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Pond hopping 6/30

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jonny2can 
#1 ·
Went out early to beat the humidity. Will put pics up of the two ponds I went too so only registered users will see the spots. The second one was catch and release only but doubt it gets enforced. First spot got my two biggest on wacky rigs. Best was 17 inches just shy of 3 lbs. Picture doesn't show how fat it's belly was which bumped it up near to 3. Caught a lower 2 there as well with multiple dinks. Lots of shore access but one spot fairly shallow produced the best two. Cruising around not wanting to go home I stumbled upon the second park pond. Looks ideal for topwater. Caught around 5 bass but mostly small. Claims there are 4 pounders in there. Might have to give it another try soon. Both had multiple fishing docks. Power worms weightless Texas rigged and senkos was what I kept it simple with.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Nice fish! Good to see that someone is catching something. And very cool of you to share the locations. I won't be telling anyone (I have no one to tell, anyway!) and I doubt that I'll be heading that far south anytime soon. But it's good to know regardless. There's a couple of small ponds/lakes in the Northbrook area I've been wanting to check out. One guy I met at the Glen showed me photos of some bass that his son had caught at one of the locations so I figure it's worth a look. I'll post if I come across any fish! The only fish I've seen over the last 3 weeks are the photos above or the ones I've seen on YouTube videos while trying to keep my fishing stoke going! 2 consecutive skunks at the Goons, 1 early morning skunk at Beck, and an early morning skunk at the Glen on Monday. (I know, I shouldn't waste my time there.)

#11 ·
Thanks! I never fished those lakes myself so unfortunately cant help with any tips. Some day i will explore up north. I'm mostly south burbs and west burbs lakes/rivers. I love the challenge of new waters so soon I will run out of waters out here and find my way up north. I even tried getting into Argonne park near water fall glenn this day to check out a lake near 91st but chickened out when sign said employee park only. :(

#12 ·
jonny2can said:
Thanks! I never fished those lakes myself so unfortunately cant help with any tips. Some day i will explore up north. I'm mostly south burbs and west burbs lakes/rivers. I love the challenge of new waters so soon I will run out of waters out here and find my way up north. I even tried getting into Argonne park near water fall glenn this day to check out a lake near 91st but chickened out when sign said employee park only. :(
Speaking of south burbs -- We moved to Chicago area in 2008 from San Diego. Wife and I both have family out there and prior to '08 would come out to visit. Her dad and sis lived in Homewood, my aunt and uncle in Niles. We'd stay in Homewood for a few days, then go up to Niles to stay with cousins. My father-in-law was kind of gruff and cantankerous (WWII vet) but I think he liked me. He liked to fish and a couple of times he'd drive us to different lakes in that area. One of them was Maple Lake off Archer Ave. At the time I didn't know anything about the supernatural stories about Archer Ave and had never heard of The Maple Lake lights. I was used to the freshwater lakes of So Cal, where you have to pay a fee to fish and park. I thought it was great that you could drive into any forest preserve and fish for free! California isn't like that (except for the ocean, of course). I checked the map and it looks like there's a fair number of different lakes in that same Maple Lake area: Bullfrog, Tomahawk, Joe's Pond, Saganashkee, etc.

Twice he took us to a nice lake that was almost due south of Homewood, in a rural area. We caught a few fish and it wasn't crowded either time we went. I've been trying to figure out what lake that was and it's been driving me crazy. It was off some main road that we headed south on and we turned left onto a forest preserve road that took us to the lake. (That narrows it down, eh?) I need to ask my sister-in-law if she remembers what lake that was. I've looked at maps to check out lakes just east of some of the main roads but none of them seem like the right one.

#13 ·
Hmm that's more south that I have ventured.. few shown on map.. sauk trail lake, wampum lake (east of Homewood though) and further south the monee reservoir which is a good lake from what I heard.. see a lot of country clubs on the map besides those.. my guess monee but that's pretty far south .. that is the most well known lake south of homewood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.