Chicago Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Media created mass Hysteria

58K views 500 replies 37 participants last post by  FishinMatt 
#1 ·
Hysteria...good song by Muse too but anyway, this is the Schaumburg Costco water & paper products section. My oldest manages the Tire department, so he's rarely in the main warehouse and walked past tonight thinking "wtf is going on here?" It's people stocking up for the apocalypse :roll: :roll: :roll:

Attachments

See less See more
#352 ·
joetrain said:
My biggest disturbance last night was some cows mooing in a nearby field.
Similar here. I took the garbage out last night and the only sounds were an occasional car and I couldn't believe how loud the bullfrogs in the pond were.

Been hit hard by the looters, though. I had to chase a raccoon away who was trying to break into my garbage can around sunset. Scraggly little creep, not the usual fatty who likes hiding under my kayak. A chipmunk has been stealing the concrete from my sidewalk that leads up to my back stoop. He chewed a 2x4" hole right in the corner of the sidewalk. When I saw he was out and about eating maple helicopters, I mixed up some concrete and filled up the door to his home under my home. But yesterday he was back trying to bypass my patch. Lastly, the kleptomaniac looter woodpecker woke me again this morning as he is slowly flying off with one of my maple trees. :thumbdown:

#355 · (Edited by Moderator)
A recent John Hopkins study:

Screenshot_20200728-204836_Instagram.jpg

I work in Wisconsin, so now I'm not sure if I should work 1 day and go home and quarantine for 14days before going back to work for another day. Don't know if the boss will let that one fly. This covid protocol is awful confusing.

In all seriousness, hopefully everyone is doing well. My sons tball getting canceled was a heartbreaker, but totally understandable. Sure survivability is really high for the virus, but now studies are showing that 1 in 4 can recieve permanent heart, lung, or brain damage. Precautions are definitely necessary. Sometimes I feel like a teenager digging in my center console for a rubber every time I pull up to the store when looking for a fresh mask to wear. Yea it sux, but with an ugly mug like mine, the face masks aren't such a bad thing.

Dont stop fishing guys, keep posting. And feel free to share any honey holes, with me, via PM :wink:

Attachments

#360 ·
Brett said:
Tons of people have been infected with COVID and it was never detected. We barely had the ability to test when the virus first came out. The increase on that chart is an artifact of our newfound ability to actually test people.
Sorry Brett, but this is 100% false.

Why are those increases being seen in some places and not others then? Why are New York, Chicago, and other very large metro areas still dropping, or just small increases being seen, and other states are spiraling out of control? Why do those states happen to be the same ones that refused to shut down as early as the ones doing better, and reopened far sooner, had less restrictions, and also have refused to institute any kind of mask mandate?

As you'll notice, I didn't bring anything political into this. This is simply a science and facts post. The increase in those states has absolutely nothing to do with increased testing. That's made up BS.

#361 ·
I don't think our points are mutually exclusive. The virus does tend to concentrate in different geographic areas at different points in time and our ability to test changed over time. If it was in Texas and Florida first and then New York and Illinois you'd see the same pattern with lower levels in Texas and Florida. I don't see Oregon on there with all the drama in Portland. Not to say there aren't other other factors at play. But testing capacity is a known one. As are inconsistencies in how a COVID positive is defined and counted from place to place.

#363 ·
Wow, hard to believe this thread went dark for a whole 5 months. Probably everyone is sick of 25 minutes of each 30 minute newscast being about covid.

Yesterday, we found out the first death of someone we knew that died this week from C19. We have 2 friends who had it and recovered. One with cancer, so that was extra good news. And my wife's cousin and his family are battling it and recovering. I got really sick a few months ago and was tested. The test was negative.

#365 ·
joetrain said:
I'm guessing that the majority of the population want to get back to a life they consider to be normal.
Good luck with that. This is a test of the maturity of the American people.

By 1943 most Americans were "wared" out but managed to see things through. If we had the current population of pissers & moaners back then Hitler would've won & we'd all be talking German.

I'm hoping I don't get COVID but I'm already sick of all the fucking whining about it. Ignore it & it's likely to kill you or somebody you love.

#367 ·
There is a fine line about being stupid about things, and going about your normal life. People driving by themselves wearing masks in the car......stupid. People partying and carrying on like Covid does not exist......stupid. Unfortunately (like anything in these idiotic days of social media) you have 2 extreme sides making all the noise.

#370 ·
bobberwatcher said:
I think folks driving in their car wearing masks simply forgot that they're still wearing it. I've done it. :oops: my daughter recently finished isolating (tested positive) stressfull time. We were super careful in the spring, let our guard down over the summer. Time to be cautious again.
I know several people that got it. Most had mild symptoms, 1 spent about a week in the hospital and 2 my age, with diabetes, mid 50's. They spent MONTHS in the hospital as in 3 and 4 months, both on a ventilator and both in induced coma for a period. they both lived to tell about and both are still using a walker today. Imagine the bill.
The guy that spent a week in the hospital feels like he has lost a lot of his sense of smell and he has been having issues with memory. He is in his 40's.

Most people probably forget to take it off. I forget all the time since I wear one 40 hours plus a week indoors, it almost feels weird to have it off.
If someone just feels more comfortable with it on, maybe protecting someone who may drive the car later more power to them. It doesn't harm anyone.

#371 ·
Kankrat- so you had it too? I think that if I ever needed to be hospitalized with it, I'd consider myself a gonner. It's a good reminder to hear that's not always the case and that even those on a ventilator can walk away from it. And the bill- well, 1 night/day in UIC goes for $34,000 so I can't even imagine months!

#372 ·
bobberwatcher said:
Kankrat- so you had it too? I think that if I ever needed to be hospitalized with it, I'd consider myself a gonner. It's a good reminder to hear that's not always the case and that even those on a ventilator can walk away from it. And the bill- well, 1 night/day in UIC goes for $34,000 so I can't even imagine months!
No I have been lucky, I did not get it. I've been working straight thru it. I am an essential worker. We make products for printing food packaging and pharmaceuticals. Those supply chains cant be disrupted.
Those are people I know mostly through work. Yes but one of those guys that was hospitolized told me he was pretty much preparing to die. he has a wife and two kids. He was really grateful to be alive after walker and all. He also told me that he is in total disbelief that the mask thing is being politicized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.