Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Lawrence DPR

5K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  DPMike 
#1 ·
Any one ever give it a go where the Crystal Creek comes into DPR. Worthwhile?

#2 ·
Used to fish there regularly. One time I saw 2 pike swimming upstream next to each other. Threw a Mepps - bad cast, it landed behind them. But one of them turned around & nailed it! Around 26-28".

#8 ·
Hatchetman: next time you're out try the stretch south of Chicago. If the water's low go to the head of the island & walk over. Do not wade in bare feet. Walk along the west side of the island throwing buzzbaits. Go all the way to the foot of the island.

Used to fish there regularly. Moved recently & miss it already.

#11 ·
Rambler said:
Hatchetman: next time you're out try the stretch south of Chicago. If the water's low go to the head of the island & walk over. Do not wade in bare feet. Walk along the west side of the island throwing buzzbaits. Go all the way to the foot of the island.

Used to fish there regularly. Moved recently & miss it already.
OK, I'll give it a go there. mostly just scare deer is all the excitement.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pike 9-18.jpg
Fished from 3:30 to 5:00 PM. Saw a pike go into the culvert but couldn't get a rise out of him. Tough to cast very far in there though, water is only down about half a foot from being filled to the top.

I walked the North side of the bridge and fished all the laydowns for about 1/4 mile. Very fishy looking area with plenty of slack water areas.

Threw a mostly white Walmart spinner and was able to get this little guy to come out and play. He came from one of the least fishy looking of the laydowns-LOL

I will be going back there, it looks pretty interesting.

Attachments

#13 ·
Stay away, there's no fish there..........the drain pipe is great if you get there first. Directly out from there is usually full of log jam etc. throw spinners just past, work the current and usually a pike pops out. West side is really good and the east side is great but creep up, they are usually along the bank. Just before the big mound along the East bank Side held a mixed bag a few times,! Get em and please show me the pics....I miss fishing that area.

#14 ·
Peter Piper said:
Stay away, there's no fish there..........the drain pipe is great if you get there first. Directly out from there is usually full of log jam etc. throw spinners just past, work the current and usually a pike pops out. West side is really good and the east side is great but creep up, they are usually along the bank. Just before the big mound along the East bank Side held a mixed bag a few times,! Get em and please show me the pics....I miss fishing that area.
Good info. I might add that any drain pipe on that river is worth a look. Especially if water is flowing. There are 2 big ones by the outside bend across from the Dunkin Donuts on River Rd. in Deplanes. Caught some good ones out of em.
~JOE~

#15 ·
Hit DPR in Park Ridge this morning, nada. Ran into another fisherman and he's aid it's been slow there for a couple of weeks. I did find (New to me anyway) a back water to the North of the river. Looked great but quite shallow, saw bait fish but no bites.
Went to Lions after that and got 2 smallish bass. Moved to a nearby spot for a couple of more cast before lunch. That's when it finally happened. Standing still, my footing gave way and I fell onto my right hip and in slow motion slid down the clay bank and wound up on my side in the drink up to my knees. What a mess. Had to sit on a garbage bag for the ride home, didn't dare stop at Rand Red Hots until I showered-LOL

That wet clay is like walking on wet ice.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
The part about not wanting to go to Rand Red Hots till showered is classic stuff. Keep at it on the dpr mike and you will become more shameless like Skifish who goes for a burrito after every outing. Usually while still wearing his muddy fish slimed waders. I as well occasionally feel sorry for the people in line behind me at walgreens while I track mud through the entire store. Maybe not the entire store, but definitely the ice cream section.

Spots at Lawrence I always work over throughly. (In red)

20200920_090848.jpg

Attachments

#24 ·
There's a monster snapper that's lived along that stretch for years. Head's the size of a clincher ball.

I was over there a couple days ago & watched a mink fish for small fish along the east side of the island.

#25 ·
Rambler said:
There's a monster snapper that's lived along that stretch for years. Head's the size of a clincher ball.

I was over there a couple days ago & watched a mink fish for small fish along the east side of the island.
I saw a big round flat turtle, probably 14 inches across. they can move fast when started! there's all kinds of wildlife in there. I saw a muskrat a couple weeks ago. A squirrel chased it away!

#26 ·
Oh yeah - what you saw is a softshell turtle. Probaby even nastier than snappers. There are a few I've seen in the channel east of the island. They're fast in the water too - they eat fish.

Downstream of the island past the creek there's a pair of mink that live in the base of an old snag. Sometimes you'll see them hunting fish around sunset.

Both gray and fox squirrels can be tough customers. I've seen them chase off coopers hawks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.