Outdoors Photography

Your experiences in the great outdoors is not limited to just fishing. From time to time you may capture a photo of a lifetime - or just a cool shot. Share your photography here.

Re: Outdoors Photography

Postby KankRat » Dec Sat 05, 2020 9:02 am

Beautiful set, a nice slide film like quality. Whatever you are doing in post I like. Shot above the St. Croix rod is great with the OOF leaves framing. I like the shot above the drift boat too.
+1 on Austin Adducci. I got to go on his boat this summer, man that is fly fishing in style. My first time on a drift boat. Probably the highlight of my summer. Wish I could afford to do that more.
The shot above the drift boat is really a great one too.
I laughed at your comment about back button AF baffles non photogs. i switch the camera to U1 or U2 where the shutter release controls AF when I need to hand it to someone. Then you have at least a 50/50 shot of the subject in focus.
It would not suprises me one bit if these are published in a major magazine. Really pro work.
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Postby KankRat » Dec Sat 05, 2020 10:02 am

Just curios if you have dabbled in micro 4/3?
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Postby charliebravo77 » Dec Sat 05, 2020 11:30 am

Thanks! I have been dabbling a lot in tweaking and creating my own presets in Lightroom that match the style I'm going for.

I haven't extensively used m4/3 really, just APS-C since I got my first DSLR probably 15 years ago. It's a little appealing for the super crop factor and longer reach for wildlife, but I really don't want to go smaller than APS-C for light sensitivity and aperture size. Shooting on a f2.8 on my 80D is already the equivalent of an f4 on a full frame body. Ideally I'd like to go the other direction and get a full frame body but until I can figure out how to actually make money off of this I can't really justify a new body.
charliebravo77
Minnow

Postby KankRat » Dec Sat 05, 2020 1:01 pm

charliebravo77 wrote:Thanks! I have been dabbling a lot in tweaking and creating my own presets in Lightroom that match the style I'm going for.

I haven't extensively used m4/3 really, just APS-C since I got my first DSLR probably 15 years ago. It's a little appealing for the super crop factor and longer reach for wildlife, but I really don't want to go smaller than APS-C for light sensitivity and aperture size. Shooting on a f2.8 on my 80D is already the equivalent of an f4 on a full frame body. Ideally I'd like to go the other direction and get a full frame body but until I can figure out how to actually make money off of this I can't really justify a new body.

I think your shots are as good as any I've seen in mags like The Drake.

Yeah. Low light performance is not so hot. There are some really smokin deals going on lately. That OMD 5 MK2 was $550 last week at Best Buy.
Do you ever peruse the Fred Miranda forums? Some really good shooters there.
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Postby charliebravo77 » Dec Sun 06, 2020 9:32 am

I've poked around Fred Miranda a bit. It's a little scattered in my experience. There are some phenomenal photographers on there but there's also a lot of images that get praise that leave me scratching my head.

Your posts reminded me that I hadn't gone out specifically looking for wildlife in a while and owls have been on my list to try and find for a over a year. I saw that there were some short-eared owls at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie last weekend so I headed out yesterday to see if I could spot them. Ended up paying off.

ImageShort-Eared Owl by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Bonus sunset

The owls pushed my gear to the limit, though. Know anyone who needs a kidney to fund a Canon R5 and 600/f4 upgrade?

The biggest thing keeping me out of the M4/3 game is having to buy new glass. It's certainly an attractive package for taking on backcountry trips where weight is at a premium. Wonder what the fastest ~24-105mm or ~24-70mm and 70-200mm equivalent offerings are. You'd need at least an F2.8 to compete with the APS-C mirrorless offerings at f4 these days and I've grown awfully accustomed to the speed of my Sigma 18-35/f1.8 and Tamron 70-200/f2.8 on my 80D so I can't really envision being happy with an f4 equivalent on the fast end.
charliebravo77
Minnow

Postby KankRat » Dec Sun 06, 2020 10:44 am

charliebravo77 wrote:I've poked around Fred Miranda a bit. It's a little scattered in my experience. There are some phenomenal photographers on there but there's also a lot of images that get praise that leave me scratching my head.

Your posts reminded me that I hadn't gone out specifically looking for wildlife in a while and owls have been on my list to try and find for a over a year. I saw that there were some short-eared owls at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie last weekend so I headed out yesterday to see if I could spot them. Ended up paying off.

Bonus sunset

The owls pushed my gear to the limit, though. Know anyone who needs a kidney to fund a Canon R5 and 600/f4 upgrade?

The biggest thing keeping me out of the M4/3 game is having to buy new glass. It's certainly an attractive package for taking on backcountry trips where weight is at a premium. Wonder what the fastest ~24-105mm or ~24-70mm and 70-200mm equivalent offerings are. You'd need at least an F2.8 to compete with the APS-C mirrorless offerings at f4 these days and I've grown awfully accustomed to the speed of my Sigma 18-35/f1.8 and Tamron 70-200/f2.8 on my 80D so I can't really envision being happy with an f4 equivalent on the fast end.

+1 On the FM forums. I would agree.

looks as if Canon hit the ball out of the park with it's mirrorless stuff.
I was thinking of selling blood or doing family portraits and shots of kids to buy a D500 and 200-500mm. I am not sure which would be worse. I think that would be where fast money could happen. The latter that is.
In my opinion, once you start putting big glass or even medium glass on those tiny bodies that;'s going to be horribly unbalanced. Would have to go with the larger bodies in the Olympus line or use primes.
I went for a walk with my wife in the woods. Lighting was crappy so I left the camera in the car. It was so nice not to carry that thing. I'm thinking more or less that I would put up with the compromises, as a trade off. Not as a full time camera mind you.
Everything i have been shooting is aps-c 300mm f4. It snaps into focus really quick and it's stupidly sharp especially when you are close. It's when stuff is far away, that those boutique $10K lenses really shine. Those things are freaking huge though.
Getting pack to your point, I saw some images from Olympus themselves and it was at ISO1600 ish and the freaking pic looks so noisy it looked as if it was snowing.

Part of me thinks that the longer you shoot, the more picky you get with your own work to a point where it don't matter with anybody else but you. It maybe a good thing to push your gear to it's limits. I think it's made me better. My last main lens was the 70-300mm Nikkor. Got some pretty good shots with that thing and I paid less than $300.
Makes you appreciate Nat Geo from the 80's and 90's. Imagine trying to do this stuff with film. Really think about it. It's only been what 10 or 12 years that digital could compete with film.
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Postby KankRat » Dec Sun 06, 2020 10:44 am

Awesome owl and landscape shots.
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Postby KankRat » Dec Sun 06, 2020 10:48 am

Awesome owl and landscape shots.
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Postby badger75 » Dec Thu 10, 2020 3:28 pm

again, nice work!
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Dec Thu 10, 2020 5:19 pm

Simply amazing shots.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby brownbutterperch » Dec Wed 16, 2020 2:14 pm

I love seeing the talent folks have in this thread.
brownbutterperch
Minnow

Postby charliebravo77 » Dec Mon 21, 2020 7:48 pm

For something a little different, a recap of my most recent hunting trip.

Went on my first IL deer hunt in like 4 or 5 years two weekends ago, I've been out west a bunch and had sorta gotten away from midwestern deer. Drove down to east-central IL and stayed with a friend who just bought a house nearby the public site I had a muzzleloader tag for. IL does a December muzzleloader-only season after the "firearm" (shotgun, some handguns and muzzleloader) season is over and it's usually a slower paced but more difficult hunt since the deer are moving more nocturnal. I took a half day Thursday, drove to the range to finish zeroing in my T/C Impact then drove downstate. My state biologist friend had explored the area a bit before and gave me a couple OnX pin suggestions on where to set up so I didn't need to do any scouting beforehand. Got out Friday morning for opening and settled down on a hillside overlooking a river bottom. This site and general area of the state was very appealing to me as it has what passes for actual topography in the state.

Contour lines!

As the sun came up I noticed there were squirrels everywhere. If I had a .22 (and it was legal to squirrel hunt during deer season, which it isn't, for reasons) I could have gotten a limit in a matter of minutes. Around 9AM I stood up to stretch my legs and take a look around the area. I walked about maybe 20 yards over to another point of the ridge I was on and glassed around for a minute. I heard what I thought were a few of the dozen squirrels barreling through the brush down in the drainage below but it turned out to be a couple of does running through. They stopped at the water and then ate and drank for a few minutes. I didn't shoot one because A) I was on day 1 B) I had an either-sex tag. I was hoping a buck might have been following them but nothing appeared.

As I was sitting there watching the does I looked off to my side and saw 4 more does walking across another finger at about the same elevation I was at. I don't think I spooked them, but all of a sudden they took off into the timber. The does below me hung around for a few more minutes after that. You can almost make out the other group in this photo, which also shows some of the topography.

At that point it was about 10 and I figured there probably wasn't going to be much more movement until later in the day. I still hunted back to the truck and explored a drainage that had a ton of sign in it. Honestly, there was sign basically everywhere I walked in this site. I got the impression that there were tons of deer and hunters didn't venture very deep often.

Made an Instagram post about this sign and the need to respect closures to hunting on public lands. The anti-hunting public doesn't need more arrows in its quiver and dangerously defacing signs like this doesn't do us any favors. Actually got over 100 likes and a half dozen comments, which is a first for me so maybe it actually resonated with people.

In an uncommonly good mood after seeing deer on day one in IL.

Went back to the truck to make lunch and caffeinate myself. Tastes like melted Haribo cola gummies.

For the afternoon I checked out another recommended spot actually across the road from where I parked. It was a field mixed with prairie grasses, some agriculture remnants and a chunk of timber. I tucked under a tree in the shadows with my little pop up turkey blind and a folding chair. Set my rifle on a tripod with my Outdoorsmans head and V-rest and waited. With about 30 minutes to sunset left I watched two does walk across an opening about 400 yards away on what was probably private land. About 10 minutes later what was clearly a buck, maybe even a 6pt, popped out from the prairie grass about 100 yards from me. I quickly got glass on him and saw that he was actually a forkie. I watched him for a second and played the "do I shoot it?" mental game. I still had two days left, had seen deer in both spots I hunted so far and I figured worst case I could come back and find him again another time. He walked across the field and disappeared into the grass. A few minutes later he reappeared again, this time under 50 yards away. I started to wonder if maybe I should take the shot this time. He walked towards me into handgun range and again, disappeared into the grass.

Feeling pretty hopeful I would find a bigger buck I packed up for the night, grabbed some food in town and went back to where I was staying to go to sleep. It rained all night and when my alarm went off at 4:40AM it was still raining hard enough that I decided I was going to sleep a bit longer and let the rain pass.

With the ground wet I took still hunted into where I was the morning before, using the wet leaves to my advantage to minimize noise while also trying to avoid slipping on the slick muddy ground beneath. Mostly avoided that but still had a couple short slides. Worked back up the drainage I found the day before and came across that was simultaneously a brilliant and astoundingly dangerous looking homemade tree stand.

It was put together with hollow metal extrusions and actually pretty well thought out, except for the lack of any teeth to grip the tree, iffy welds and the questionable looking hardware probably found in a spare parts bin on a workbench. Whoever you are, Brian, you're either very dumb or very brave and I hope you use a harness in that thing. I suspect you don't, though. I initially thought it was a climber, but now looking at the photos again I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to work since normally you'd have your feet on the lower climber section but the upper one here also has a foot rest. Maybe Brian's some kind of industry innovator and I've got him wrong. Pretty cool paint job on it. I wonder how old it is - definitely has seen some use.

Found the remnants of a homemade rattle call, too.

I made my way back to the overlook where I spotted the does the day before and spent another couple hours waiting to see if anything appeared.

After no signs of deer I wandered over to the ridge where I saw the does before. Immediately found some pretty fresh sign that was probably from the morning.

Not only did I find deer sign but I also found dozens of chewed up acorns in addition to the squirrels chattering overhead. Definitely coming back here in a couple weeks with a .22.

Found a heavily used game trail through the woods. So heavily used they wore down a fallen tree.

Working on another one.

Went back to the forkie spot for the second evening sit. Unfortunately I only spotted the does crossing over on private again, this time just before it was too dark to see. Seemed like they were moving less during the day.

Got back out again the next morning at the same spot hoping for anything to cross within range. Waited a few hours but nothing came by. Walked the field edge hoping to catch a glimpse of an antler tine in the grass but didn't see anything. Found fresh sign again which was probably from overnight.

Shot of the tree I was sitting under at the edge of the field.

Went to check out the non-huntable part of the park before I left for home. I'll definitely be back with a fly rod and canoe to paddle the river and look for smallmouth.

When I parked I noticed a bunch of birds flying around so I swapped muzzleloader for (a bigger) camera.

Female cardinals

Male cardinals

Northern Flicker - this is a new one for me.

Blue jay

Downy woodpecker

All in all it was a great few days out in nature, even if I was again reminded "don't pass up on the first day what you'd be happy to bring home on the last."

Excited to come back to this spot for small game, waterfowl and fishing soon.

-----------------------------------

Yesterday I went for a walk in the local nature preserve. Saw some big deer.

charliebravo77
Minnow

Postby Brett » Dec Tue 22, 2020 5:28 pm

Really cool. I love this type of thing.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby grems » Dec Tue 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Great story and photos, I especially liked that buck from your blind.

Sorry you didn't see him again, I hoped your story would end badly for him, next year!
grems
Game Fish

Postby mike son » Dec Tue 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Dude, great recap and pics! I don't hunt but I recently got sucked into a Youtube wormhole of watching Bull Elk bow hunts on public lands out west. It looks awesome. Though, two more hobbies I don't need, hunting and photography :lol:. In time, I suppose.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby badger75 » Dec Fri 25, 2020 11:51 pm

Nice post. Great pictures!
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby charliebravo77 » Jan Mon 18, 2021 4:30 pm

I went with a friend to a Hunting Retriever Club training event to take some photos yesterday. Ended up being quite a workout doing sprints up and down a field with 4-6 inches of snow while wearing boots, carrying a camera and dodging chukar and birdshot flying through the air. Really makes me want a camera with a bigger buffer than my 80D and some of that new-fangled animal-eye-AF. Shooting jet black dogs on bright white snow in waist high brush is definitely a challenging environment. Lots of the shots looked like this:

Got some good ones though, including these:

charliebravo77
Minnow

Postby charliebravo77 » Feb Sun 21, 2021 11:08 am

Took a drive out to the Mississippi in search of bald eagles and an open stretch of river did not disappoint.

charliebravo77
Minnow

Postby Rambler » Feb Tue 23, 2021 9:15 am

Charlie: Great shots. Have you checked out Starved Rock for eagles? Lots closer than the Mississippi.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby mike son » Feb Tue 23, 2021 7:30 pm

Nice shots! I like the eagle with the shad. x2 on what Rambler said, my uncle went down there a few winters ago and he said he had never seen so many eagles congregated in one area.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby SunsetSushi » Mar Tue 02, 2021 2:16 pm

Wow very high quality and beautiful photos!
SunsetSushi

Previous

Return to Photography