6.7.21 - Late stroll in the Dupe.

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

6.7.21 - Late stroll in the Dupe.

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Tue 08, 2021 12:35 am

Planned on jumping into the river today, got a late start but it still worked out. Kept an eye on the radar and saw that whatever rain hits will be quick, so I decided to take the haul down to the Riverwalk from Mundelein. Go figure, had a fairly heavy drizzle right at arrival.

Stopped at Angler's International on the way and got one of those new Whopper Plopper 60's. I've read that topwater has been working on the Dupe (Thanks Mike!) So it was kinda a no brainer. Tied a 1/8 oz ball jig on the other rod with a Chart/pearl Keitech. Coulda left that in the car.

The eel grass is no joke this year. Between that and the skinny water, I couldn't retrieve the Keitech fast enough without bringing in grass. Left it on shore and hooked up on the first cast. Decent smalljaw. Alternated between straight retrieves casting downstream and "popping" from upstream. The latter produced the best of the day, a pretty lookin fighter. She didn't give up on it. Popped at it 3 or 4 times before finally getting enough of it.

Went upstream for the last couple hours. Tons of pops at the topwater but as evidenced by what happened when any semblance of sun went away. Clouds came in and hooked up with nothing heavier than a mcdonalds cheeseburger. Hell, a White Castle cheeseburger. Glorified microfishing. Found a pool of slack water and found where the rock bass were hiding to wrap it all up.

Everything caught was on the Whopper Plopper 60. Rambler, I know it doesn't fit the AACB guidelines at $10 a pop, but I bet you could tear it up on some of those creeks with this guy. I like it but the space between the prop and body get gunked up pretty easily making it worthless til you clean it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: 6.7.21 - Late stroll in the Dupe.

Postby JB » Jun Tue 08, 2021 9:49 am

Nice report!
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 08, 2021 10:21 am

Mundelein to Naperville seems a long drive for some fish. Have you tried the northern DPR or Half Day Preserve?

As noted elsewhere I have 2 75s. Managed to not break AACB regs. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Tue 08, 2021 1:22 pm

Rambler wrote:Have you tried the northern DPR or Half Day Preserve?

An hour drive is nothin to me. It's tough to find smallies up this way. I also like this stretch because of the pure rock bottom since I don't have traditional waders, just water shoes.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jun Tue 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Take a drive to Romeoville area DPR. The bottom down that way is like poured concrete.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby naturestrail » Jun Wed 09, 2021 10:32 am

Nice report!! I have a 75 in white as well, but only have 1 LMB hooked and landed, that was 2 years ago. I gave it its due diligence and had a fair amount of swipes at it but just 1 hooked. I think I'm gonna try the 60 now. Smaller lure with lower profile I guess might work. Never had any luck with the 75 on either the Fox or Duper as well.
naturestrail
Pan Fish

Postby jonny2can » Jun Wed 09, 2021 1:00 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:
Rambler wrote:Have you tried the northern DPR or Half Day Preserve?

An hour drive is nothin to me. It's tough to find smallies up this way. I also like this stretch because of the pure rock bottom since I don't have traditional waders, just water shoes.
Are water shoes the same as water socks? I never owned any.. coworker told me to buy water socks and I was like huh?
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Thu 10, 2021 8:47 am

Ehhh same idea, but more built for the cause. I have the cheapies from Bass Pro and they work fine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FloridaRigger » Jun Thu 10, 2021 7:29 pm

jonny2can wrote:owned

I have NRS neoprene socks that I wear under keen type sandals

https://www.nrs.com/product/30010.02/nrs-sandal-socks
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jun Fri 11, 2021 9:21 pm

I wear an old pair of Teva sandals. I've had to glue the soles on 3 times.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby mike son » Jun Sat 12, 2021 10:22 am

Nice! Ya the eel grass and muck does get jammed up in the body causing it to roll. I've just been smacking it against the water to clean it out. Occasionally I'd pull out an ewg hook to really get in there and clean it. The river is so low right now that you could wet wade nearly everywhere and not get water up to your dinger :lol:. I'd offer you a stretch to fish but I don't have much time on the west branch of recent, could be full of eel grass. Still you can PM me or shoot me a text if you're curious and you're willing to put down some miles and time the next time you get down there.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby ganz1960 » Jun Sat 12, 2021 10:53 am

Nice fish and report! I have become a big fan of the whopper plopper 60. I used it for the first time this season. I caught several bass in the Fox, including some nice ones (see my posts from the last month or so).

It's been an especially good lure choice for me when I fish from shore, since it's so easy to get snagged with other lures with the low flow and water levels in the Fox.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Sat 12, 2021 11:51 pm

Mike, I was telling Dave how creepy it still was as it got dark and you couldn't see the bottom. Stepped on a patch of grass and went waist deep lol. Learned to get there earlier and leave sooner next time. As for the prop jams, I used my backlash tool which resembles a super thin dental cleaning tool. Worked like a charm.

Ganz, I think your reports and someone in a Facebook group I'm in are what inspired that purchase. So thank you for that lol.

I penciled in Monday as a return trip. Plan on bringing the topwater rod and froggin rod. There's a few spots I wanna try with a frog
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to DuPage River