Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Fri 4/17

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BassCaster 
#1 ·
Got a late start and hit the water from about noon-3:30. I was told the bite was early. Water at the launch was 83 degrees! Water in the 2nd pool was 86 degrees. There was no cooler water. Landed some nice cats, tons of smaller cats, a nice drum, a small large mouth, and a lot of nice smallmouth bass. For some reason last 2 times out haven't landed a striper. Smallies were on fire today for me. One was a real tank. Could not land a fish on faster moving baits. Tried rattle traps, blade baits, swim baits, flukes, but only thing that worked were 3" and 4" Gulp minnows on jig head. Im guessing all the walleye are dead or will be soon with these water temps. Tight lines.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like you found the smallie bite even as temps are maxing out for any type of predator bite. That being said it won't be long until the rough fish bite will be left. Nice to see that you at least found some decent fish with such still waters displayed in the back ground. I've always done better when there's a ripple in the water. Maybe the fish know somethings up. I suspect your theory on the walleye aren't too far off. They are already stuck to the bottom where any cold water can be found.

#8 ·
Those are some dandy smallies!

I cant believe the water is that warm. A week earlier cold temps were only 58! :shock: Looks like the window for the good bite will be closing soon. I would like to get out there another time or two before it gets too hot, if this wind would ever allow it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.