2019 Stocking Report Cook County Forest Preserves

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

2019 Stocking Report Cook County Forest Preserves

Postby Wolfnight » Feb Thu 13, 2020 1:52 pm

IMG_0934.JPG
For those who have not yet seen it, the 2019 Stocking Report for Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes is out . I got this at the Tinley Park Expo last Saturday where the IDNR had an exhibit. 572,890 fish were stocked in 2019 representing 6 different species. Interesting data. I will try and scan. Tight lines all.
I now attach a photo. Apologies for the small print. If you click on the picture it will right size and be easier to read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Re: 2019 Stocking Report Cook County Forest Preserves

Postby philkol123 » Feb Thu 13, 2020 2:17 pm

Good to know! Can't believe they're dumping that many walleye into the cesspool known as Tampier...........
philkol123
Pan Fish

Postby Phil6 » Feb Thu 13, 2020 2:40 pm

Holy shit thats a lot of walleye... I guess it does note that theyre fry/fingerlings but still.
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Thu 13, 2020 3:12 pm

philkol123 wrote:Good to know! Can't believe they're dumping that many walleye into the cesspool known as Tampier...........

Why is it a cesspool? I grew up on the south side, and it was one of the first lakes I ever fished. I'm not sure why it would be considered a cesspool.

Tampier has always been a good walleye fishery, if you know where to find them. Looks like the IDNR wants to make it a better one, considering 300,000 walleye fry/fingerlings were stocked.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Thu 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Tampier is where the CCFPD walleye hatchery is. I suspect that's got something to do with it.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby philkol123 » Feb Fri 14, 2020 7:54 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
philkol123 wrote:Good to know! Can't believe they're dumping that many walleye into the cesspool known as Tampier...........

Why is it a cesspool? I grew up on the south side, and it was one of the first lakes I ever fished. I'm not sure why it would be considered a cesspool.

Tampier has always been a good walleye fishery, if you know where to find them. Looks like the IDNR wants to make it a better one, considering 300,000 walleye fry/fingerlings were stocked.

SNE the fishing at Tampier has really gone down hill. Over fishing and pollution over the last decade has really brought it down in my Cook County Lake rankings. I live in the SW burbs and much rather fish Lemont Quarries, Sag Quarries, Tuma, Saganashkee, even Maple Lake.
philkol123
Pan Fish

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Fri 14, 2020 11:04 am

philkol123 wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:

SNE the fishing at Tampier has really gone down hill. Over fishing and pollution over the last decade has really brought it down in my Cook County Lake rankings. I live in the SW burbs and much rather fish Lemont Quarries, Sag Quarries, Tuma, Saganashkee, even Maple Lake.

I haven't fished it really at all in 15-20 years. I know some people who do regularly, though. They still manage to pull quality walleye out of there on a regular basis, so I doubt it's any more polluted than any other FP lake. I'd also argue that most FP lakes are over-fished, and combined with the lack of manpower in the IDNR, it's a recipe for terrible FP lakes and over-harvesting. If you want quality, you have to get off the beaten path, and find ponds/small lakes that no one goes to.

Lemont Quarries is one of my go-to ice spots, though. :thumbup:

I grew up in Worth, and live in Bolingbrook now.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby philkol123 » Feb Fri 14, 2020 11:28 am

SNE the fishing at Tampier has really gone down hill. Over fishing and pollution over the last decade has really brought it down in my Cook County Lake rankings. I live in the SW burbs and much rather fish Lemont Quarries, Sag Quarries, Tuma, Saganashkee, even Maple Lake.[/quote]

I haven't fished it really at all in 15-20 years. I know some people who do regularly, though. They still manage to pull quality walleye out of there on a regular basis, so I doubt it's any more polluted than any other FP lake. I'd also argue that most FP lakes are over-fished, and combined with the lack of manpower in the IDNR, it's a recipe for terrible FP lakes and over-harvesting. If you want quality, you have to get off the beaten path, and find ponds/small lakes that no one goes to.

Lemont Quarries is one of my go-to ice spots, though. :thumbup:

I grew up in Worth, and live in Bolingbrook now.[/quote]

Yeah SNE, Lemont Quarries is the only Cook County lake I frequent. Other than that I'm getting into the thick of it, finding good spots mostly on rivers, on my kayak.

Born and raised in the Palos area, still live there, but probably moving up to Wrigley area to be closer to work and what not.
philkol123
Pan Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Feb Fri 14, 2020 11:46 am

They net a lot of big walleye at Busse every year for eggs/milt to breed those walleye at the hatchery. It's funny watching them chuck carp over their shoulders while sorting through the nets. You can see some of the process on YouTube. There was also a segment on Jay's Chicago about the hatchery program.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jonny2can » Feb Fri 14, 2020 2:51 pm

Guess the gave the finger to the bass guys...jeez
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Woohoodude11 » Feb Sat 15, 2020 8:15 am

Bass stock themselves fairly well.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Wolfnight » Feb Sat 15, 2020 10:47 am

Phil, I agree Tampier has gotten worse and much harder but sad people like me keeping fishing it living in hope!
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby Grain » Feb Sat 15, 2020 4:25 pm

Hard to believe that there's a body of water that needs more bluegills.
Grain
Game Fish

Postby jonny2can » Feb Sat 15, 2020 4:26 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:Bass stock themselves fairly well.
yea but cook county isn't well enforced. For example lake ida in countryside used to be a great small little bass fishing lake. Seen pics from regulars that usedto catch 5 to 6 pounders in there. Had one break my line once there. I usually caught 3 pounders there 4 years ago. I would be walking the shoreline and see buckets full of under sized bass and big bass heads rotting in the grass from people catchingthe large females. Went a few times last year and it was a skunk. Talked to a few guys practicing their fly rods and they said they haven't caught a bass there in years. Last stock report I seen for this lake was only catfish. It's no longer a bass lake which saddens me.
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information