Decent morning in Montgomery

Fox River - Northern Illinois
Fishing Information & Reports

Decent morning in Montgomery

Postby Spincast guy » Jul Thu 30, 2020 10:47 am

Fished fox dwn stream from Montgomery dam from 5 am -8am working both sides of the river.Threw TRD ned rig in chartreuse working current edges.Hit 7 and lost a big one as my drag was to loose. Also locked into a rough fish of some sort which fought well....we use to call these dog fish when I was a kid but I dont know what it is but they hit lures and fight well....at the end switched to crank bait to land a 13inch c hunker to end my outing if mostly small ones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spincast guy
Pan Fish
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mar Fri 06, 2020 5:23 pm

Re: Decent morning in Montgomery

Postby joetrain » Jul Thu 30, 2020 11:27 am

Way to go Omer. That looks like a drum/sheepshead? to me.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
User avatar
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 3080
Joined: Jan Tue 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Decent morning in Montgomery

Postby Spincast guy » Jul Thu 30, 2020 11:36 am

joetrain wrote:Way to go Omer. That looks like a drum/sheepshead? to me.
~JOE~
Thanks Joe good to know. They hit lures and very fiesty.
Spincast guy
Pan Fish
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mar Fri 06, 2020 5:23 pm

Re: Decent morning in Montgomery

Postby ganz1960 » Jul Thu 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Nice fish and report! You've given me some hope as I plan to try near North Aurora early tomorrow (Friday) at the same early time you did.

I've never tried a Ned rig in the Fox River (only in lakes). Just don't have confidence in it in the river. But seeing your report (and others) inspires me to give it a try!
ganz1960
Pan Fish
 
Posts: 85
Joined: May Fri 24, 2013 4:26 am

Re: Decent morning in Montgomery

Postby Spincast guy » Jul Fri 31, 2020 10:04 am

ganz1960 wrote:Nice fish and report! You've given me some hope as I plan to try near North Aurora early tomorrow (Friday) at the same early time you did.

I've never tried a Ned rig in the Fox River (only in lakes). Just don't have confidence in it in the river. But seeing your report (and others) inspires me to give it a try!
I always have one rod with a ned rig when I go to the fox....its a smallie slayer.My personal best smallie came on a ned rig with a hula stick by zman a few years ago on the fox at 18 inch.
Spincast guy
Pan Fish
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mar Fri 06, 2020 5:23 pm

Re: Decent morning in Montgomery

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Fri 31, 2020 11:04 am

That's a good stretch of river. Well done.
Nature and shit.
User avatar
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator
 
Posts: 7513
Joined: May Thu 19, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Gurnee

Re: Decent morning in Montgomery

Postby ganz1960 » Jul Fri 31, 2020 12:18 pm

Spincast guy wrote:
ganz1960 wrote:Nice fish and report! You've given me some hope as I plan to try near North Aurora early tomorrow (Friday) at the same early time you did.

I've never tried a Ned rig in the Fox River (only in lakes). Just don't have confidence in it in the river. But seeing your report (and others) inspires me to give it a try!
I always have one rod with a ned rig when I go to the fox....its a smallie slayer.My personal best smallie came on a ned rig with a hula stick by zman a few years ago on the fox at 18 inch.


I don't have any Ned rigs at the moment. The closest I have is a weedless and weightless plastic worm that I found at the Fox a couple years ago. I tried it this morning––just dragging it on the bottom or bouncing it on the bottom and in the current––but got nothing. A buzz bait and a chatter bait caught all my fish this morning (see a separate post). But I'll give the Ned a try someday soon.
ganz1960
Pan Fish
 
Posts: 85
Joined: May Fri 24, 2013 4:26 am


Return to Fox River

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests