targeting bowfin in northern stretch

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

targeting bowfin in northern stretch

Postby catch&release » Jul Thu 30, 2020 2:28 pm

hoping someone can point me to the right direction. my brother and i've caught bass, chubs, crappies, rockbass and plenty of northerns from the river and now want to try for bowfin. from what i've seen, looks like there's a better chance of finding them the father up you go near WI.
would anyone mind sharing a general area where we can fish for them from the shore? it's just that we've never fished beyond north of IG so we're clueless regarding any access point. thank you.
catch&release
Game Fish

Re: targeting bowfin in northern stretch

Postby Peter Piper » Jul Thu 30, 2020 7:24 pm

You can catch plenty from Wadsworth up. Target pike, catch pike, be sort of happy when you get a couple of good runs out of the bowfin you catch instead. Be really happy it didnt break your line but your Mepps will be shot to hell. Have fun and show us what you get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Thu 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Like gar, you know when bowfin are present because they surface non stop. A lot of folks think they're big shad surfacing, kind of like large shad do come winter. When lots of Dogs are present, odds are in your favor. There's a nice backwater on the Des Plaines across from lake Andrea along 165 that holds quite a few dogs year round. That is Wisconsin so make sure you have a Wis fishing license. QAlso Des Plaines Lake has a good population of them. Get your bikes for Des Plaines lake because that's a long walk. Or just paddle there.

Like Peter said, toss baits for pike and bass and boom here comes the dog.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby catch&release » Jul Fri 31, 2020 9:26 am

thank you gentlemen. some good info! i'm excited to try!
catch&release
Game Fish

Postby Peter Piper » Aug Sun 02, 2020 12:21 pm

Hey AP......have you fished the bit of river along the frontage road that goes under the highway just past the wisco border??? Maybe you know the spot, only 2-3 parking spots just off the frontage, west side of highway? I drove past and always no place to park. Just asking if you got in there yet from shore as it looks great to me.
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Sun 02, 2020 1:52 pm

Yes. You can park on the east or west frontage. Literally just pull up to the guard rail on the gravel / grass a bit. I work in Kenosha and see cars parked there religiously. You can walk under the bridges on the chunk to get to either side. Not a bad spot because it offers a much different, albeit small habitat then that section of river entails. The rock and bridges cause a slightly deeper channel and a wee bit more current. Not to mention all the aquatic critters that like to live in the rocks. Smsll eddies along the pillars at certain flows. Its good for a hit and run fish because of the great parking-walk-to river ratio.

As for parking at the mini nature preserve on the west side and walking the riverbank, too much a jungle for my liking. Low trees block good casting. And that preserve is open to public hunting, so fall and winter is out of the question.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Peter Piper » Aug Mon 03, 2020 9:10 am

Hmm. All I get is hit and run for 45 to an hour so I'll give it a go some day soon, let yall know then....thanks for this.
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Aug Mon 03, 2020 12:56 pm

I'm trying to picture where you guys are talking about...can't figure it out.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Mon 03, 2020 1:17 pm

Rambler wrote:I'm trying to picture where you guys are talking about...can't figure it out.

The Des Plaines River where 94/41 bridge crosses over it in Kenosha Wisconsin. This would be just south of the HWY 50 exit.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Aug Mon 03, 2020 4:46 pm

As Emily Litella said, "well then, never mind". I don't have enough opportunities to justify buying a WI license.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Aug Mon 03, 2020 5:03 pm

I got that wrong. I always thought it was Roseanne Roseannadanna. I guess that's what happens when your family didn't own a TV for half of my childhood years.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Aug Tue 04, 2020 7:59 am

Roseanne R said, "It's always something".
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Des Plaines River