Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the discharge from around 2-3:30 on Friday afternoon, catching five bass and a pike. The bass were typical, 8-12", and the pike was probably 20". All of the fish were chunky. I was using a fathead minnow on a plain #8 hook - no weights or bobbers. My theory is that, in the clear, shallow water, bobbers spook the fish. Since there's no weed-growth, you can see virtually every fish in the area. I didn't see any walleye.

Regarding where the WWD water comes from, my uncle retired recently from the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, and he told me that the treated water comes from the John E. Egan Water Reclamation Plant, which is on Martingale Road on the west side of 290/53.

·
Registered
144 Posts
CRISCHWRTZ I WAS THE GUY IN THE GREEN HOODED COAT WHO CAME OVER FROM THE DISCHARGE RAIL. THAT WAS A GREAT LOOKING PIKE AND NICE RELEASE. I ONLY CAUGHT 3 LMB AND A COUPLE CRAPPIES. HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kid14: I regret not taking pictures, because the pike had very nice coloring. I was concentrating too much on trying not to slip and fall into the creek :)

SARGE: Nice to meet you. You picked the right time to leave - the fishing really slowed down after you left.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IXmarksthespot said:
Nice job out there, I'm planning on hitting up the WWD first time ever tomorrow with these high temps hopefully they fish will be more active. What will be my best setup out there minnow with plain hook as you had?
I bet the conditions there are going to be different now. I'm just guessing here, but the water will be higher and faster - clear but maybe a bit tinted. You never really know what's going to come out of that pipe...

I'm a total minimalist, so I'd just add the lightest possible split shot a few inches up to make sure I don't lose track of where my minnow is. And I'd try to place the minnow right along where the current breaks. In terms of artificials, I've found that small grubs and anything resembling a crayfish work well when you drag them across the bottom and pause a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.