Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
LOL! yup, Big Al had a dandy trout when i arrived around 6:15am. moved to the west bank to take advantage of the sun warmed waters. Al somehow managed to lose his fish off the stringer 3 hours later. that's catch, hold for 3 hours and release fishing.

i didn't fair so well either. i could of limited out. should've, would've, could've. first 4 strikes i lost. finally got in the 5 strike and brought her ashore. problem was with my "baitholder" treble hooks. those things are garbage!!! :cry:. the baitholder "coil" around the treble hook actually wouldn't allow the powerbait to slip out and get a hookset. i even let one fish take about 30 feet of line with the bail open just so that i could let the fish swallow the bait. well....i set the hook and it had to of popped out from the fishes stomach. :shock:

removed the "coil" baitholder thingamajiggy and bingo, solid hookset to land my 1 fish of the day.

it was gorgeous out this morning. i had to take off a layer of clothing cause it was soooo warm.

i think that's 8 or 9 fish i've lost so far this spring at axehead. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thanks for the report guys.

Augy said:
removed the "coil" baitholder thingamajiggy and bingo, solid hookset to land my 1 fish of the day.
Way to make a smart adjustment Augy. When you use real small hooks those baitholders can be a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
good job guys. glad you got some...."Weather was NICE"

Summer is just around the bend :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
was out there yesterday from 4 - 7 pm and caught 4 trouts using combination of red and chartreuse powerbait on a #14 treble hook. Slip sinker rig using about a foot leader. Went back today from 4 - 6pm and managed to get 1 using same slip sinker rig and combination color bait.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
trout are still there for the taking! just gotta be patient and work different depths and use your fish sense to locate where they might be hanging out.

good job spawn!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.