Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Belleau Lake for the first time ever, again was amazed as to how clear the water was. Not many people their fishing buts lots of people walking dogs. Got there around 7:00pm and fished until 8:45 not many caught fish but did catch a few small bass and some crappie. That lake is tuff to fish because its so shallow around the shore the fish can see you. Will definately try again later this year.

·
Registered
511 Posts
:?
?
the fish are right over the large droppofff, they cant see you..
atleast the fish worth catching?try a small egg weight at the bottom and ty a surgeons loop to an octopus hook, size 4-6, and add a crawler. toss it 10 feet passed the drop, and lett it sink and sit. odds are youll hook some 2-4 lb bass, i once caught a spotted bass in there, probably got mixed in with the lmb they stocked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2 - 4 lb bass in lake belleau? maybe you meant 4 minus 2? wait, that would still be way too big for that lake. the biggest bass i've ever seen come out of that water could not have been more than 1.5 lbs and me and my breathren have been fishing (or fished) that water since we were wee tots.

i like belleau for some nice afternoon post-work ultra-light fishing. hit some small bass and panfish. but 2 to 4 pounds? no way!

-dah

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
It`s probably the prettiest lake in the ccfpd ,I always say I`m gonna fish it but never do :? especially since they stocked smallies in there,they should be about 14" by now :?
I`ve never heard of anything over 2lbs coming out of there .

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I was just there on Sunday morning. (amended dpr trip :roll: )
It had been a while, and I had forgotten how nice that lake is. And it has smallmouths. Great structure too. Gonna have to bring the deep cranks next time I stop by.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think this lake would be dynamite by boat. Too bad they don't allow them. It would be so much easier to get to the deep structure. Oh well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A friend of mine recommended Belleau to me - says he has always done well at that lake in the evenings. He claims he caught his record bass there - 8 lbs!!! - and had it mounted. I still have yet to see it, but he's not one to lie. I've been there about a half dozen times last year and got skunked every time. Every once in a while I see some huge dead carp on the shore. I see fish jumping out there so I know they exist. But I got discouraged not catching anything there so haven't been there in a while. Has anyone caught anything decent there recently?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I fished there with my mama a few weeks ago from about 2 - 5, mainly to talk and be outside since it was beautiful. I was using nightcrawlers which were almost dead due to the heat, I casted one out towards the middle and something took my bobber within 10 seconds and by take I mean ripped it down about 10 feet, I think it was a turtle, but who knows maybe I missed the fish of the lake!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Haven't been there for almost 20 years now but my buddies and I used to go there to catch crayfish which was pretty fun. We once took a small inflatable boat out to the middle of the lake to fish but had no luck. We were young punks who ignored signs and lifejackets but now that I think of it, we were pretty lucky that we did not get arrested. I caught my fattest carp there on corn in I believe 1987.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.