Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a couple mornings over the last few days at the goons. I've noticed a couple of things:

1. Very early (around 5:30) and at sunset there is a topwater bite, and outside of those times there is not.

2. Only about 10% of the shore is fishable due to the thick weeds.

3. The fish seem to be fatter than normal (maybe full of cicadas)

4. Once you set the hook you only have to bring them half way in, then hit the weedline, and then cross your fingers that they stay on as you wrestle them through the weeds.

I caught several LM (most in the 14 - 16" range. All caught on a variety of lures including senkos, spinners, chatterbaits, and topwater poppers. I got a frog that is completely weedless and have worked that a lot and had numerous strikes but can't seem to set a hook with the darn thing. To avoid frustration I left it in the car today. I didn't have mycamera with me except for today.

Here are a couple of 14" I caught today.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Nice job! I was there yesterday morning at 5am and the topwater action was pretty insane, bass were leaping out all over the place. Tried my buzz bait for a bit but, lost it after my line snapped after casting it.. Gotta remember not to whip those things out.

Caught one about 15"'s.

Yea, the weeds are bad. Youll be pulling what seems to be a HUGE bass in only to realize that about 3lbs of it is weeds. They seem to know the weeds are freedom, right after hooking they dive right for em!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
nice job brian! you gotta come out to one of our deep lake outings man. you'll have a blast.

danno, we missed you at the tournament! wife must have you on lock down! :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Nice report Brian. Those weeds are pretty insane. They're not even really just weeds - but rather thick slop/muck/funk.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Augy said:
nice job brian! you gotta come out to one of our deep lake outings man. you'll have a blast.

danno, we missed you at the tournament! wife must have you on lock down! :mrgreen:
I missed hitting the lake with you all to. Took my buddys kid over to lake arlington for his first time out. Was a ton of fun watching him fish.

Now im just suffering from "Deep Lake/Big Bass" withdrawls.. The dts are just horrible. Only been landing the dinks around the ponds n lakes around here. I gotta get out to Deep Soon!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Looks good. Next time I go to my "honey-pot" I'll take some pics of all the weed cover. In order to catch a fish, you have to make it in the small circles where there is an opening. It reminds me of Bozo buckets.

I have a weedless leech, and that thing is like your frog. Impossible to set the hook. It's been on vacation for quite a while now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nice fish. ZOOM makes a hook for the horny toad . As for myself I'd rather use the YUM frog with those hooks. For the YUM frogs cut a 1/4 in. slit between the tail to give it a livelyer drop off the mats . I use braided .Let the bass take the frog down for 3 or four sec . then set the hook. Awsome lure for cover. Fast or slow. Dont forget to test your drag . Good luck... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.