Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out from 600-810pm. Wind seemed to be out of the east-ish, but fishing was still good. Got four or five bass, best being about ~14. Smallest being 5". The bait wasnt that small either, 1/4 oz spinnerbait with 4" trailer. They love the neon chart trailer so much the little guys will hang onto the tail and I litteraly have to pull them off. :lol: Also got a pike on the same chart spinnerbait off the point. Biggest bass came off the east end of the island. Also filled the boat with styrofoam, gatorade bottles, and aluminum cans as usual. And some jagbag keeps leaving piles of 20# mono right by the launch. Three days in a row? Seriously? :roll: I took some pics, but forgot the camera at home today. Maybe tomorrow, but you guys all know what a 14in bass and an 16in pike look like. :wink:

So heres the story. I was fishing the west end of the island and got a bite. I went to set and reel, but missed. One second later another bite. I go to set, and a little 10 inch bass flies out of the water and about 40 feet like a bullet into the side of the boat. He hit it hard. :oops: So I feel really bad at this point. He came unhooked on impact, but after a few twitches was floating there next to the boat. I lipped him and cruised the boat along the island trying to revive him for a while. It felt terrible, but at a point I gave up and let go. He was floating. :( So I put it behind me and get back to fishing, but keep looking over my shoulder at him floating about 100 feet away from me. Then I see it. A little twitch, then another. I motored over, grabbed the little guy, and held him rightway up for a few seconds in the water. He woke up and took off! :mrgreen: I know one 10 inch bass doesnt matter all that much in the big scheme of things, but it was a good feeling to help the little guy out (since I was the one who nearly killed him while doing my thing.) There has been a history of people saving bass from various situations on Beck lake. Must be a good bass-karma spot or something. Just thought I would share another little tale of a bass in peril, that ended happily.

·
Registered
513 Posts
A simply majestic story! Put a smile on my face for sure.

I believe I saw you motoring around when I first arrived there last night. I thought, "Which WCF member is that?" :wink:

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I hate having to continue fishing by those that I've killed accidentally( fish that is) so to hear a story of revival is refreshing!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thanks for the Report and Glad that bass survived. One day he or she will be a lot bigger. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
428 Posts
a little sappy for me but good job
so maybe next time tell it a little manlier

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I'll be waiting for the movie on the Lifetime Channel :lol: Nice job on the revive Rudy. I've had that happen before a time or two where I thought a fish was a goner and it ended up ok. It sounds like your little guy knocked itself out cold. Glad it made it out ok.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Got to agree with with plumberpower, too sappy.
That 10 in bass was trying to kill and eat your lure.
Primal instinct.
Little to much "BAMBI" in this story.
A dead 10 incher is feed for something and more room for the 20 inchers.
If my uncle, that was the first person to take me fishing, would gut hook a fish he would just grab the line and yank the hook out. He would throw it out in the water and within a minute a gull would snatch it up and have a feast.
The circle of life.
L2F

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
I think Rudy's story is awesome. I persaonlly can think of many times when a similar situation has occured with me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.