Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about how winds affect fishing conditions but I do know the following:

1. When the wind is blowing so hard that the gusts nearly knock you over
2. When the wind is blowing so hard that a typically still lake has a strong current
3. When the wind is blowing so hard that you cast out and can't retrieve the line before the end has drifted to shore
4. When the wind is blowing so hard that your rod tip is perpetually bent as though you have a fish on just because the wind is blowing it
5. When the wind is blowing so hard that your senko rides on the top of the water to the shore like it is on a surfboard.

When all of these conditions are met, the wind is probably having an adverse effect on fishing. I even tried throwing a heavier spinner bait but even that was pushed like greased lightning to the shore via the current. I spent only about 30 minutes there after work and obviously had little success.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
that's when you walk around to the other side of the lake and try again. i know #5 all too well. hey, it's a topwater senko! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
IMO that is one of the best times especially if its cloudy, even though the wind is annoying, baitfish are pushed up on the shore and predators usually arent too far behind.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
As I am continually a student of fishing (as we all are), the one thing I have struggled with is fishing during strong winds. MrB is right about what he says, but the wind is SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS when fishing!

I remember, when I was in my teen years, saying that fishing with lures is stupid because if the fish won't eat live bait, they won't eat anything.

Like I said - we are always learning at this sport! 8)

·
Registered
702 Posts
MrB is correct, the strong wind do 'push' smaller baitfish into a comprmised position, from a boat this isn't much of a problem as you are then casting with the wind towards the windswept shoreline, but keeping the boat in position is a chore. Shore fishing in high winds can be a real pain. A little split shot on a senko, or any lure, up a few feet should help to get the senko down to where the current will make its drop action less of an issue. it also helps with casting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts