Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the Slade Ave area 8:00pm-12:00am. Only managed 2 tiny gills for bait, and both were stripped from the hooks- which was the only action aside from the tiny gills.

Worked from the crap plant up river back past the launch. Tossed a couple goldfish and crawlers too with no luck. Even had a string of corn out for carp with no takers.

Nice night, but we decided to leave after we heard the the gunshots and sirens... :?

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
That sounds like some tough luck. One tip that I learned a long time ago from an old river rat is to seine your own bait. All you need is 2 people and you can get as much bait as you want in all varieties. For flatheads we have always had the best luck on the shiners with the yellow tails.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, Lip Yanker. I'm disappointed, particularly to have had you come down to my recommended spot, and miss out. Tell me when you have time again, and I'll go down, too. Planning on an outing on Friday evening, weather allowing, and as always, you're always welcome. SFS

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good tip Matt , maybe will try sieneing next time.

Not a problem SFS, it was kind of an impromtu trip for us. Just figured we'd try a new spot, we haven't given up yet. We did find the river is pretty shallow in that stretch right now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You're half accurate. The river is shallow in that stretch, yes. It's shallow ALL the time. 9 feet is the deepest spot I have found, from the Elgin dam all the way up to Carpentersville, and I've boated all of it numerous times. I usually throw my poles around the dropoff from 4 to 8 feet, maybe 100 feet out from shore there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.