Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK had a gameplan this afternoon, to scout out a new pond, then go to another pond which always produces, well things changed.......

I don't really expect anyone to believe me on this, but I know, and saw it with me own eyes..... I hooked and lost the biggest LMB that I have ever seen in IL. This thing had to be pushing 8lbs. if not more. I cant even comprehend the size of this behemoth. It was huge! I saw this mass heading right for me, then hitting my spinnerbait with force, I set the hook, he shakes off and gone! :cry: WTF? The thing that really burns me is, the fact that I actually debated putting on a trailer hook and didnt. :evil: After I stopped shaking, I fished there awhile without even a hit then headed home.

Sitting at home mulling over this loss I decided to get the evening bite. Maybe to have lightning strike twice? No such luck on the bass, but I picked up a small cat, then upon getting ready to pack up.....it happened. My bobber slams down, rod heads into the water, grab it, set the hook! Holy crap! I thought My rod was going to break! Start getting him closer in and it turns out to be a big cat!

Just under 5lbs(PB) and roughly 21" I ended up leaving on that note.

Can't wait to hit this new found honeyhole tomorrow morning. :D

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
thats great MrB!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Atleast you have a reason to go back there, knowing what's in there. :shock:

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
Thanks for the report Mr. B. If the pond is small enough, you may want to try putting a bluegill under a large float for that big bass. Good luck and I hope you get her next time out.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, Matt I agree on using the gills. I am heading out there in a few hopefully I will have something to report. :D

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i've heard so much about using gills for bass but haven't tried it yet. let us know how that goes MrB. and get that 8lber dude!!!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I only tried the gills for bass once and had no success with it. I probably was using too big of a fish for bait.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I used a small LM to fish for Musky once. My wife had caught him and he swallowed the hook, so I figured why not? Hooked him up and tossed him out there. She didn't fish anymore that day. She felt responsible for his becoming bait! :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts