Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New year, same shit. Down on the main. ~6.9' and 180 cf/s measured out of Plainfield. 39.8 degree water temp. Shelf ice all over. Air temp 40->45. Was up and out early despite the lack of enthusiasm and hit three spots. Fish in the usual winter spots. Some right off the seam in the slack. Most tight to cover in deeper slack, be it wood or large rocks. Some on isolated rocks/gravel amongst silt. The dead grass has been flushed out pretty well from the heavy rain we got mid December. Fished a spot I know from a different angle and really picked out every fish. Think I got a dozen in 12'x12' area in quick succession. I'm just an idiot and never bothered to circle around to thoroughly fish it, never knew what I had been missing :rolleyes:. Hot bait was keitech tungsten guard jig with a zman trd bugz, green pumpkin. A few fish on a tube. None on a shad pattern baby z too on a 3/32oz football head. Ran into a guy at the third spot throwing a flatside crank, told me he lost one and wasn't picking up much grass. I'll have to throw the cranks in my box next time out.

Little softball

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I saw you out there. I was above the bridge but got skunked, came down to fish the pool below the riffle but saw someone poking around from shore so went home. Good to see you found them. I was really surprised the spot above the bridge didn’t produce. Found them stacked there last year in early and figured they’d winter there but nada.
Yep that was definitely me about 2:30-3pm, the spot we talked about last year. No cars in the lot but the young guy was there. Talked to him for a few mins and casted around for 20mins and left, I was exhausted by that point.

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
solid start mike and please dont let me forget to get us set up at lake X sometime in the spring
For sure. You shoot any birds with Bruce this season? I drove by it on Sunday to get to the highway, lake was iced. We used to get lucky at that place with some winter outings barring a polar plunge like we had. That mexican restaurant in the gas station is still there as far as I could tell down on 59 too. Not sure if you had been in there but I would rave about that place lmao.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts