Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ShoreS: fished 8-9am, threw senko and white spinner with nothin. switched to my new bionic bucktail and landed a monster -

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Awesome fish! Are you sure that thing came out of Lake Opeka? Just kidding. I had no idea that there was anything that big in there. How long was it?

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Holy shit! THAT came from Lake Opeka!? What was the length?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
what the hell made u throw a bucktail in opeka ? lol.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Doesn't everyone throw bucktails for 40" northern pike at Lake Opeka? Come on, Aris... get with the program!
:lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice northern :!: The biggest thing I've managed to catch in Opeka is a 22" channel cat. Maybe I'll start throwing some big inline spinners next time out. LOL.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Tip of the hat Topwater .....Very nice fish

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That is really great! I routinely fished there as a kid and heard stories of big pike in there but never have seen pics. Wow! I'm so happy for you, something about a big fish like that caught locally really make all those slow days well worth it. Maybe I will throw out some big bucktails in my pike lakes. Thanks for the C&R too!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have always thought Opeka had to have good fish in it. It really doesn't see hardly any real action due to inaccessability (golf course, boating limitations, park pin, etc.) so there have to be good fish in there! And unless the Carp are taking over, the fishing should be quality if you can get to the better spots or have unbelievable good luck! If they built a fishing pier and enforced the pin thing strictly, it could be a fantastic little spot for sport anglers who just want to catch a few good fish now and again. Why I threw a bionic bucktail? I bought it for Delavan but for one reason or another we haven't made it up there, so I thought I would at least get it wet before the winter...

PS I wish I could get on Shagbark lake here in DP, those Musky from last summer ('05) have got to be getting pretty nasty by now! Anybody got a friend who lives on that lake! :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice Pike...they sure love those bucktails. What color did you use, I have used mostly black. I want to buy a few different colors this winter and was looking for ideas.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Nice Pike man. Hell, why go to Delavan when you have that in your backyard. IL is tradionally horrible for pike, so that is one hell of a catch. Hands down the biggest I have heard of out IL this year 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts