Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've posted an after action review, so I'll try to remember how it goes. :)

Went to BPS yesterday and picked up a PiranhaMaxx 215PT fishfinder. Figured I'd give it a shot on the kayak.

Well, found out that I can't read a fishfinder for the life of me, yet. :p The thing that was confusing me the most was that according to all the topographical maps for Mallard that I've seen, the FF was telling me WAY different. Places that should only be 5-10 feet on the map were showing up at 15-20. The deepest I saw it get to was about 60 feet, and it was holding steady, so I don't think that the fishfinder was wrong.

Anyways, after trying to bounce a jig in some underwater structure that I found, unsuccessfully, I went back to my trusty buzzbait. After working the shore for about 15 minutes, got another pike. I hate these things.

I paddled back to a little cove and heard some splashing, it was a carp going crazy.

So, spent a few hours on the lake, got confused, got a fish. :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn Molson, haven't seen you post lately.

The pike have been biting like crazy, at least for me lately. I haven't quite got fall bass fishing down yet, but I'll out-pike anybody. :twisted:

Some guy was telling me that Deep Quarry is shut down until the 20th, for trout. Correct?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a wuss. Don't like the teeth. And they seem to be more vicious when they attack the baits. I don't mind taking out the buzzbait, because they are only 1 big hook. But when they hit rattle traps, or anything else with treble hooks, that's asking for trouble.

And no, I haven't been to Bass Lake lately. Ever, actually. Hot bite?

·
Registered
159 Posts
its been ok over there not hot, like i said alot of small pike. ive been seeing alot of bucketeers out there taking what ever the catch at least its mostley gills that there catching.

i was at mallard the other day and got skunked

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NPIKE said:
Nice picture.. Looks like your getting your practice in on handling those pike...I guess being in that kayak makes it all the more difficult.

NPIKE
Yeah, I starting to not mind them as much. This guy missed the bait twice, but slammed it the 3rd time.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Those little pike can be a nuisance at times, but I still like catching them. Spend a week up in Canada and you will become an expert at removing them from the hook. When it is a single hook like a buzzbait or spinnerbait, you should be able to remove the hook by not even holding the fish. I just grab hold of the hook with a needlenose pliers and turn it out. That works for me. sometimes it even works with trebles if they haven't swallowed the lure and gotten more than one treble hook.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.