Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's pretty much live bait time, I think. The water is down to 40-42 degrees, and it's just going to continue to drop. My brother and I got out tonight in Carpentersville near the dam, and slightly downstream from it. We spent most of the hour or two we were out, trying to deal with frozen rod guides. It was COLD, and I don't think I'm going to be getting back in the river with those breathable waders. :lol: Even with three layers, my feet and legs were numb. Fast water, and numbing body limbs is not a safe outing. :wink:

All of the fish we saw were extremely sluggish too. In some of the pools we were checking out, you could reach down and touch the 6-10" smallies and walleye before they moved. The water dropped in temperature drastically since last week, and I think it's going to take a few days at the least for the fish to acclimate. We had several hits, but they were all very light taps and bumps. Unfortunately, the baitshop was closed early today, so I have no report on how the live bait did. We did see several folks out and about with minnows tonight, but all they had to report was dinks, and very few of them at that.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nsselle, you got my # bro, hit me up. I just got back from fishing and am going to take a hour nap and head to WI to get me a deer. Call me tomorrow night man! 8)

Dave

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no fish.....eyes in the rod were freezing..nothign but a pain. It was a little chilly otu there for abosolutly no action so packed up early.

JB - Anything on the otherside or the river?

Wrench - After last night I think I'm going to give it rest. Maybe Thursday we can get out. Lucky you going hunting today. Wish I was out in the woods. Let me know the scoop. Hope you get a whack at one. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Hey nsselle-
I didn't even get a bump on the other side. It was pretty freakin' cold out there last nite. I cut out shortly after you. Nice talking to ya by the way. Hope to see you out there again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
JB said:
Hey nsselle-
I didn't even get a bump on the other side. It was pretty freakin' cold out there last nite. I cut out shortly after you. Nice talking to ya by the way. Hope to see you out there again.
Yeah, the drop in temps really shut things down. I think with a few days or so of steady temps, the walleye bite will pick back up. The warm up, and then cool down screwed them all up. :cry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.