Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well the water level is up to say the least. Made fishing a little difficult. Did manage to land a few catfish though. Will give it a few days before I get back out, let the water calm down a bit.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Dang it!
For some reason this new post didn't come up til today. Sorry I missed it. Anyway.....unless it's raining more then a drizzle I'm gonna get out tonight. Maybe I'll see you out there. I didn't realize it rained that much. Maybe I'll be fishing further south.
Glad to hear that you had some action regardless.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think its the rain that caused the water level to rise. The must have let the water go from the chain because its really moving. good luck tonight let me know how you did.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
nsselle said:
I dont think its the rain that caused the water level to rise. The must have let the water go from the chain because its really moving. good luck tonight let me know how you did.
Yep...after a little delay, they are now drawing it down.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Now I gotta rethink my strategy. I probably won't go to the same area as last time. I'll probably stay south where I can get in the water a bit. Maybe that will stir the fish up a bit.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Cranked said:
I haven't looked yet but I'm guessing it opened up a little more between 9 n 10 last night? I was out there with a friend and we thought we could feel the current get a little stronger.
The gates were adjusted on the 6th and again on the 10th. Today they cut it back a bit. Adjustments to gate height are always done during the day and usually in the morning. Not sure why it would of come up last night??

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Cranked wrote:
JB. Wherever you go make sure it has deep water that has a slower current.
The area I'm thinking about runs close to fast current but it's a pretty decent size trough that runs about 4 ' deep. That should be deep enough I hope. I don't know of many areas that are deeper then that on a consistent basis that also has some faster current along side. It's always a learning experience out there for me! :D

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Cranked said:
[/b]

Now that I look at it again it does look like there was a little spike around that time last night. Maybe I'm not that crazy.
Could you look at that WaterGuy and tell me if I'm reading that right?

I'm looking at Algonquin. Do they adjust Algonquin at different times maybe?
I actually don't pay much attention to the USGS gauges anymore. We have a guage at work that measures surface elevation and that one is the only one I trust to be 100% accurate. We take a reading once a day and it showed the river level staying pretty constant between yesterday and today. This is in Elgin....That doesn't necessarily mean that wherever you were fishing the river didn't come up slightly. Who knows?

The gates at Algonquin are only opened when the river is extremely high.... they are Flood gates so to speak. And just an FYI..when those flood gates are open in Algonquin the USGS gauge reading there becomes completely innacurate.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
FishinMatt said:
*Note to Dave and Ed*

Take your arguing and vulgarity to a PM, another site, or better yet meet somewhere in a parking lot. Just leave it off these boards.
No Problem Matt! :wink: :D

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Yeah the title says it all. Say I didn't notice a huge increase in the current rate or depth...it may have been a bit up from the previous nite but still wadeable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.