Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit up Lake Marie again as I have become addicted to walleye fishing. Got out there for the full 8 hours of daylight we are getting these days. Decent day of fishing overall. Got 16 fish total - 6 white bass and 10 walleye. The white bass were mostly 10-13". It's the 4 fish I never saw that have me constantly wondering.

1) I set the hook, got it to within 10 feet of the boat, and then it shook the hook but I never saw the fish. It fought like a walleye and felt like it had a lot of weight. Damn! :evil:

2) Got a couple of consecutive quick bites, went to set the hook, and came back with no more jig. Either it was a huge walleye or it was a pike or musky. :twisted:

3) While vertical jigging got a hard hit, set the hook, felt one pull and came back with no more jig again. Same thought. Either a huge walleye or it was a pike or musky. :twisted:

4) Again while vertical jigging I got a huge hit, set the hook, felt a huge pull downward, pole bent the furthest I have ever seen it go, and the fish spit the hook. At least I got the jig back on that one, but I had to retie because the line was nicked a few times about 4 inches up on the line. My thought on this one was a musky. :?

Oh well, I hate the fish that get away. I just wish I knew for sure what they were. At least I got 10 walleye on the day. Most were in the 12" to 15" range. The biggest of the day set my personal best for walleye. I have been to Lake Marie 3 times in the last month and a half and each time I set a new personal best for walleye. This one ran 20" and weighed in at 3 pounds. 8)

Sorry about the poor photo. I left my camera at home so I only had my crappy cell phone camera.

This might very well be my last fishing excursion of the season with the weather getting colder and the baby getting closer. If it is at least the fishing gods were somewhat kind to me. :wink:

·
Registered
359 Posts
congrats on the 20 incher nice walleye also a great report
on what sounds like a pretty goodday of fishing. Even when you
miss a big fish it's a whole heck of alot better than not getting any action at all.Good luck and have a happy Thanksgiving .

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Way to go, Matt! I haven't been on good ole Lake Marie in several years. I enjoy the chain for all the different special that are catchable throughout the year.

Sounds like you've had some great outings! Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Nice job Matt. One of my all time favorite types of fishing is vertical jigging for walleyes.

I agree with Doc's opinion that it was probably a pike or muskie that was biting you off.

However, the other fish that fought like crazy and got away cleanly (no bite off) totally could have been some monster eyes. A few times I have hooked into a huge eyes that puts up a fight like a pike. That's always fun because you think it's a pike then you see a huge walleye on the other end of your line in the water and all you can think is "GET THE [email protected]#ING NET!"

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was switching up between vertical jigging and casting out and bringing it back slowly. The 20-incher was caught on the casting part of it, but it was the first time I ever tried vertical jigging and it was fun. Repetitive motion for sure, but when you all of the sudden feel that weight at the end of the line and you get that clean hook set it's pretty cool. A few times I could also feel a fish "light" biting and then finally getting a hold of it. Just another method to add to my arsenal of fishing abilities to carry over into next year. I have heard the Spring 'eyes are pretty active as well and a great time to get a monster. :D

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Great report Clancy and nice looking eyes. Pistakee bay has some sunked boats that hold HUGE Flatheads which i have seen caught throught the ice vertical jigging with 4-5 smash minnows on a 1/2 jighead.

·
Registered
126 Posts
FishinMatt said:
Way to go Matt. Beside the Musky, the chain also has some monster flatheads that become more catchable when the water cools down. If you are bouncing off the bottom, you may be running into them as well.
i second this, i grew up on the chain (17 of my 20 years on this planet) and always caught huuuge catfish whenever bottom fishing... the biggest was a 28lb flathead while nightfishing for crappie and striper on bluff lake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.