Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~6.75' and 160cf/s measured out of Plainfield. Vis is less than a foot, ~6". Detached grass an issue on the bottom, some floating through the water column. Fished one stretch on the main very thoroughly over six hours. About a hundred geese were in the area when I arrived so I spooked those off and fished the main spot getting one fish. Walked downstream and planned to rest the spot fishing my way up to it. Another angler walked right in as I walked out and fished it for awhile. He later came over to ask how I was doing and I had gotten a few at that point. No big deal. Worked up back into the spot as the angler had left and by now the sun was higher, maybe they were no longer spooked from all the geese taking off, but the bite was very hot. Another angler walks right up, high holing me by 50yds and eventually walks down to me within 15yds after presumably seeing me catch a few. Puts one cast right where I'm casting. Had to out to him twice. His response, "I'm fishing". The fuck is wrong with some people? Older guy too and not some young guy who might not know better. Best was a skinny 19.5".

·
Registered
79 Posts
~6.75' and 160cf/s measured out of Plainfield. Vis is less than a foot, ~6". Detached grass an issue on the bottom, some floating through the water column. Fished one stretch on the main very thoroughly over six hours. About a hundred geese were in the area when I arrived so I spooked those off and fished the main spot getting one fish. Walked downstream and planned to rest the spot fishing my way up to it. Another angler walked right in as I walked out and fished it for awhile. He later came over to ask how I was doing and I had gotten a few at that point. No big deal. Worked up back into the spot as the angler had left and by now the sun was higher, maybe they were no longer spooked from all the geese taking off, but the bite was very hot. Another angler walks right up, high holing me by 50yds and eventually walks down to me within 15yds after presumably seeing me catch a few. Puts one cast right where I'm casting. Had to out to him twice. His response, "I'm fishing". The fuck is wrong with some people? Older guy too and not some young guy who might not know better. Best was a skinny 19.5".

Nice work. Ridiculous behavior from that arsehole. I’d have pierced his ear with a jig.

·
Registered
260 Posts
19.5" smallie from DuPage is fantastic! Helps make up for the jerk bags.

I'm still hoping to break 19, will have to wait for next year. Hit the west branch riverwalk with my buddy yesterday, as low and slow as I've ever seen it, not even a nibble, probably done until spring.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Nice smallies, I think we fish in the same areas (I'm not gonna say if you don't), I have been catching 2-4 each trip on my past four trips (being out 2-3 hours). Nothing big, not like this summer with 17", 18" and a few at 19". The floating grass is aggervating as **%@(& Every other cast = grass. What are you still throwing? My most successful West Branch right now is the Mepps #3 and #4, white /silver blade and brown&white /silver blade. The Mepps allows me to hit the middle of the water column staying off the bottom and just underneath the floating grass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts