Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out Wednesday on the main. USGS ~90cf/s and ~6.75' measured out of Plainfield. Low, pretty good stain, maybe one foot of vis. The water is really cold. Dragged a 1/4oz texas rigged swimbait, RI skinny dipper, and that's what they wanted. No bites on the craw. Got 8 or 9, missed about 8 or 9 bites. No big ones, but decent tugs.

Spooked this goby in the shallows and he ended up beaching himself for the photo

·
Registered
220 Posts
Out of town for the holiday, hoping weather holds for one more outing this year once I’m back.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I hope that goby was actually a sculpin! I'd hate to see them build up a detrimental population in the river.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope that goby was actually a sculpin! I'd hate to see them build up a detrimental population in the river.
I think it was a goby though I'm not a hundred percent sure. I did a little research and the main way to tell is the pelvic fins. Goby has one that looks fused, sculpin has two individual fins.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got my weather wish on Thursday, lost the only one I hooked, went back out Friday and caught two on my third and fourth casts then nothing for next 1.5 hours. Average size but scratched the itch, maybe my last for the year?
Sky Jaw Fin Fish Recreation

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my weather wish on Thursday, lost the only one I hooked, went back out Friday and caught two on my third and fourth casts then nothing for next 1.5 hours. Average size but scratched the itch, maybe my last for the year?
View attachment 139399
Nice! There will be other warm days this winter where you'll be able to pop out. If that's the west branch, I think I know where that is. What'd they bite for you?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Small perch paddle tail, downsized from day before seemed to help.

Yes WB about as shallow as I’ve ever seen it and full of leaves, tough conditions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts