Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the east branch this morning for several hours. USGS ~15' and ~70cf/s measured out of Bolingbrook. Light stain, maybe 2' vis. Low. Hardly any weeds left and not much floaty crap. I don't know how bad weeds are there, haven't fished the east branch since early May, haven't even fished the Dupe in two months or so. Water is cold but not too bad. Bite was seemingly lethargic. Short bites, and light mushy bites. Dragged an 1/8oz texas rigged craw and threw an okashira screwhead with the smallest hazedong. Many would smack the craw or mush it and not hold on, or I'd check for weight and they'd let go. Stuck one that got off that was decent.

Two on the craw, two on the swimbait. Two of them were dinks. I think they got more active as the sun came out. I'll pop and swim/swing the craw back to me and saw one slowly chase it to my feet out of the corner of my eye. Missed that one though as I swung on him too quick. Fish were at the bottom of pools with rock and slow current, at the head and in the deepest part(middle). Off shoreline laydowns over rock or rock bars off the main flow in relatively deep water with slow current. All fish I caught were where I've found them in the past in the winter but they are definitely more active than the dead of winter.

Decent buck, saw two actually

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see a shooter buck and two shooter smallies. here comes heddon back from the swamp 馃ぃ
Haha he got on the river smallie kick only to then move down to hang with the swamp monsters.

I got out again yesterday afternoon for 3hrs or so on the main. On the water at ~2:30pm and walked back in the dark. ~100cf/s and ~6.85ft out of Plainfield. Drizzle, stained and low water, fair amount of floaty crap/dead weeds. Same lures as last time. Okashira would pick up too many weeds and was rendered useless lol. Thumps and just weight bites. Had another chase the craw swimming it back to me. Only had time for one spot. Long and deep, uniform trench where I've found them in early spring. Some soft water pools upriver but the drizzle made it difficult to locate them by disturbing the surface. They would have been more defined in higher flow. Most were in the trench anyways. So I just fan casted and most came in the middle of the river but one came off the first break near shore. Maybe a new winter spot? I know my decent one from last year on the main has been washed out and silted in and probably won't hold fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts