Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the late post... started it yesterday but the damn cat knocked the modem plug out of the wall then it was Bears' time... I won't rant on that now.

With the forecast for falling temps I started at 9:30 & fished til 12:45. First couple spots were duds so I began the long hike to my new go-to spot. Footing was pretty scary along the way but I made it to find the river had gone up a foot or two from Saturday's precip. 2nd cast saw a lazy pass from a low 20's pike on a slashbait. 10-15 casts later after switching to a jig & power minnow had a monster almost leap out of the water at my feet. My surprised half-ass hookset allowed me to feel her for a split second before I got to watch a mid 30"+ pike splash away to the depths. Convinced I'd see her again I chucked everything but the kithcen sink for the next hour or two to no avail. Had a light bite on the jig but missed whatever it was. During the course of my casting I endured 3 consecutive 10-20 minute torrential downpours that had me (& everyone I talked to) questioning my sanity. My boots and coat are still drying out... Finally gave up knowing if I had brought some livebait I might've gone home a lot happier. Level rose 6-12 inches more just while I was fishing and every inlet/pipe/creek was flowing fast into the river creating mudlines in already murky water. Hit a couple more spots on the way home but was too wet & the air temps were dropping fast. Still get a thrill about fishing the river with snow on the ground and no one else in sight, so all was not lost.

If this week had some more reasonable temps the fishing could be great with the fresh water in the system, but with the forecast I fear yesterday might've been my last outing with the impending move 10 days away. I'll surely miss my river. She's been good to me for the last 8 or 9 years. 10 pike over 30", lost count on smaller fish a few years back, plus at last count 13 different species caught. I'll have to continue my 40" quest when I visit my parents who still live in D.P. Until then, good fishing.

Alex

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thanks for the report Alex. I'll be happy to continue your quest for the 40 incher for you. :D I know that there is one in there and it's only a matter of time before someone finds it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doc... :evil: I knew I could count on you! With the amount of solid 30"+ fish I lost/saw over the last month it is only a matter of time til a monster is caught by someone from WCF. Wish I could be around for my normal Spring Pike Fling come March, but I guess it'll be an opportunity to explore the Fox instead. Good fishing.

Alex

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure I'll have a blast learning the Fox, but there's something to be said about exploring a truly URBAN river & targeting predatory gamefish that few others fish & until recently, those anglers were bottom fishing for carp & cats. For years the DPR & it's pike were my secret... I'm sure Andrew understands what I'm talking about.

Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.