Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas! ~150cf/s and 6.75' out of Plainfield. Vis about two feet, no bump in flow from rains from the night before. Clouds in the morning into fully sun, mid 40's air temp. Ended up on two spots on the main. Picked one up early dragging a fluke jr in a deepish, slack, open area adjacent to the main current which was slow, not quite an eddy. Then came up to a hole that has the fish stacked but no takers on the fluke at all. On my way fishing up to the hole I spooked gobies/sculpins, saw two and have seen them in the past in this section usually they are shallow where I'm walking. I have a photo of one in a previous post. Well anyways, I decided to switch to a 3.5" green pumpkin tube and surprising got bit the first two casts. Didn't quite work well with a 3/0 hook but I had to make due as I packed light. Proceeded to get nailed several times but no hook up. Some wanted it popped and free gliding back down or popped/sliding off the first break off shore swung into the deeper hole. Most were not eating it good but they started to bite. Didn't have my smaller, thinner tubes which I think would have been the ticket. Got one more on a fluke jr tracking back to the original spot. Never saw craws active shallow, so maybe they were feeding on a gobies/scuplins? Another guy was fishing this hole upstream of when I started but I didn't see him catch any so perhaps those fish were very picky eaters, tube only.

Second spot was one I hadn't fish in the winter. A few large runs with nice eddies, hard bottom, some chunk rock, and depth. Alternating with the fluke jr and tube. First two eddies blanked, got bit on a chute funneled by two adjacent two rock bars with boulders at the head, light taps and seemingly the bait was chased down through the chute. Not exactly a winter spot but at the flow the water looked slow enough in the center for a few casts. Third eddy also blanked. Kind of a junk pattern all around this outing. What came next was shocking to me. The flow that makes this third eddy was flowing off a riffle which dumps water to the main flow on one side of the river and some seeps off into the far edge of the eddy. Some boulders near the tail of riffle split the flow and make a triangle of slower water with depth. Having fan casted the eddy I worked into this triangle area and dare I say, faster water. Got bit right away on the tube. They were at the head of the triangle behind the boulders breaking some decent current. Not the place I expected them to be. Could only get them to bite if my cast hit a one foot wide section at the head where the current was broken and letting it drift down a few feet or I got bit instantly. Managed to pull three of this spot and missed a few more, they must have been stacked on top of each other. These fish wanted the tube no doubt after fishing the fluke jr through there too. Both 1/8oz texas rigged with similar fall and drifting presentations. It had to be the tube profile and color. First tube fish of the season and now I guess I have to keep the tube in rotation this winter.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Great report. When I mainly bass fished I would have mixed results using the tube. Sometimes it was a can’t miss and other times not even a sniff.

~JOE~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts