Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to FLA (Fort Myers) with the boat this week.(Tue/Wed) for a 1000 dollar vaction. Lodging is free,so all I need is cash to stay alive.
I hope to post something on the net from there. I just dont know what kind of computer my friend has.

My buddie from years moved down there (to help his mom out) and was talking to him the last few weeks and I figured why the hell not.

New 2007 truck. Newer boat(Augy say's its a rocket).

So the Gulf of MEXICO is where I am headed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never caught a salt water fish except a Rockfish which was in fresh water ...(That sound right)

But truely excited about going except for the solo 1260 mile drive(ugh)

I hope to post something from there

BTW If anyone is interested in meeting for a Rockfish(striper) weekend on the way back. The date should be the weekend of the 27-28 of this month or the 2-3 of Feb because I will be stopping on the way back from FLA.
Thats Lake Cumberland Ky (AUGY????????????????)
Leave me a pm and a phone # and we will talk.
All I ask is to let me sleep in the lodge. Some fuel for the boat. There are only 2 places in the area . Boat, and bait is all me .
Fair enough????????????
Here we are back in 1995 for the most exciting 40 minutes of my fishing experience.
http://www.rockfish44lb.com/Fish/video/rockfish95.WMV

Rockfish
Rob

·
Registered
593 Posts
Roadtrip!

Have fun catch a bunch.

Never hit Cumberland, but there might be power plant lakes in western TN that might be very fishable.

So Ill lakes are warmer than up here..

Looking forward to reading about fishing in the gulf!
And send some pics!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
WOW thats some serious striper fishing ! :D

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
be safe uncle. i'll see if i can round up enough cash and more importantly, gather enough courage to ask the wife for permission. i'm trembling already thinking about it. :oops:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He lied...........

1364 miles

Just woke up from the drive. Left around 2 am Wed morning and arived around 1030 pm last night

Stopped in Gainsville around 7:30 for the final gas stop....
Noticed ABC liquors nexted store so spent 45 bucks on a bottle of Patron.....

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Got 12.7 mpg at 72mph avg though the trip

Heading to BPS now for needed items and also the police station of a trailer plate missing between here and there

Rockfish

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Go get'em Rockfish!!!!!

I hope you brought a camera with you; I would love to see some pics.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
oh, he'll not only have photos but a full production video with music and all. can't wait to see some of that florida action uncle.

good luck and be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Just got a call from Rockfish with a report of a 33 lb redfish. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

he'll post pictures soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well the first day of setting the boat up. Setting gear and 1/2 dozen other things.........(dust cap for trailer....electrical parts......police.....ect ect)

Well we headed out and got on the water around 11;30 am .
Now this Mullet creek is just a 20-40 foot canal in wich the avg was maybe 2.5 ft deep. Now the back bay is pretty much the same. YOU NEED TO STAY IN THE MARKED CHANNEL. The depth is not there.

After the hour drive we finaly got to the stop of Carls choice and which he put me 2 Sheephead (the look like convict fish) and one small red fish.
Those sheephead fight like a frieght train. Period.

Than we took the ride to May reef in which the lowrance came into play.
I punched in the numbers and off we went. GPS IS A MUST ON ANY LARGE BODY OF WATER.
So now where in the Gulf Of Mexico and it put us right on the reef I got the LIVE shrimp going as he was setting anchor. I picked up the camera and started taking pics of the shore line and Carl yelled . "ROB" fish on behind you.
I grabed this pole and the fight was on. Now this was my first poloe ever
Its a Ugly stick and diawa reel from 1987. Thew next thing I know this fish is just taken more than giving, than taking and taking ......I keep my cool and set the drag and more drag
This fish ran me around the boat 1 1/2 times, under the achor rope and all the fun. Now after the 10 min fight my friend screamed CATFISH.... (redfish it was )
Never seen a fish that pretty and from the salty water.

The girth was 26" The lenght was 40 inches. We did the math afterwards and came up with 33.8 lbs and our guess was 32ish so we where close. The biggest you could keep was 27" so back to the water it went.

It was a great first of fishing and hope to post nice stories like this tonight.
3:49 your time so off to the great big blue...

Rockfish

BTW the computer I am on is windows 98 so no pics until I can figure something out...

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun! Those saltwater fish can put up one heck of a fight. Thanks for the report and keep them coming.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fishing has been great. No BIG fish to speak of but we did catch on Friday
4 nice size Sheepheads with 3 Mangro Snappers and 1 red fish that was 25" and nice fight. My buddie Carl caught it so there is video of it shortly.
That was Friday .

Today was differant story.my graph took a crap,lost the net,lost fish but all in all it was hot and sunny :D
we took home to nice snapper and one sheephead.

Here is that pic. Pics are way to long with this computer .....

Rockfish

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Holy shit, Rob! Seems like you are having a great time. Thanks for letting us all live it vicariously with ya!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts