Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think I caught that many, but when I did the math, I think I did catch that many this morning.

Got a good windburn and frozen fingers fishing the Calumet River. The river is crawling with perch. They've lost their way and need someone to show them how to get back to Lake Michigan. Some areas, no matter where you drop it, you pull out perch. We used minnows and/or shrimp on bottom rigs. I went home with a limit of 15 8.5 to 11" fish.

The place was so infested with dinks, it took catching about 10 runts to get one keeper. Calculations put that at around 165 perch. 8)

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
EYE for an EYE said:
Sweet! You out yakkin again?

We still need to join kayak forces Ron. Rember that yak i picked up last spring :D
No I was going to go yakkin there tomorrow, but was able to be a stowaway on someone's boat today. :D

But.... I did some scouting and found parking and commando river launching access that's only about 150 yards from where I was fishing today. :!: :!: :!: :!: Literally, instant access! That means no long, tedious paddle trip back and forth through Lake Michigan to get there.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Dang, you beat me with my 112 perch catch. Now i'm going to have to go for 200 in one day. I did a little scouting of my own today and found a school while fishing for something else, unfortunately I didn't have bait with me. I'll have to see what I can do. I don't think my spot is going to produce like that but man, great stuff way to go ron!!

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cam said:
Dang, you beat me with my 112 perch catch. Now i'm going to have to go for 200 in one day.
It's funny you should mention 200. That actually is exactly my record for one outing (and I was accurately counting that time). It was a winter morning @ Navy Pier about 7 years ago fishing from 7 am to 12 noon. Counted up to 200 and called it a wrap. You'll have to shoot for 201.

Today if you asked me how many I felt I caught, I would have answered about 70. Then it dawned on me that I was releasing at least 10 for each keeper and realiszd I caught a lot more than I was thinking I did.

We got accosted by a creel survey lady at the boat ramp who was weighing and measuring our fish.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You got it, 201 in a day will be my goal... this is going to be tough. I've caught 358 perch in 2009 so far according to me nerdy detailed fish log.

Thats interesting that she was taking weights, did she by chance tell you your total creel weight of your 15 fish. I'm always trying to estimate mine.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cam said:
Thats interesting that she was taking weights, did she by chance tell you your total creel weight of your 15 fish. I'm always trying to estimate mine.
We were in a hurry to split so I just gave her my basket and said "have at 'em" while I went and unloaded my stuff from the boat. She wanted 5 fish from each of us so there wouldn't have been a total weight as she was only interested in 5 of the 15.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They move around, but still should be around. I went late Sunday afternoon in the kayak and only caught 7 fish which is a far cry from an estimated 165 two days earlier.

I've been fishing between the 95th St and Ewing St bridges. Without a boat, a lot of guys fish from those bridges and do well.

·
Registered
369 Posts
killer day out there. i hope to hit the area before the perch leave but i have no wa out there. it sucks bein 17 with no drivers license.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dedfisher said:
killer day out there. i hope to hit the area before the perch leave
It varies day by day. I fished it two days later, last Sunday, and only caught 7. I'm sure they are still in the river, but will be migrating out to the lake before too long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.